Gone with the wind

My daughter stumpled over an easteregg in the german version (was already on GSF as I looked). They did Goethe at school and so his ballades were fresh ion memory. I would have remembered this ballade too, but I wasn't playing in blood forest area that much.

You can get a quest in Destroyed_Village from a Zombie named Karlu called 'Gone with the wind' which is a famous book and holywood movie. In the german version the zombie does a Parody on Goethe's famous ballade Der Erlkönig. English and german text of the ballade is in the quoted wiki page.

The original starts with:

Wer reitet so spät durch Nacht und Wind?

Es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind;

Who rides, so late, through night and wind?

It is the father with his child.

In the german version Karlu rhymes:

Wer reitet so spät durch Sumpf und Wald?

Es ist der Zombie in finstrer Gestalt!

Who rides, so late, through swamp and forest?

It is the zombie as dark beast!

The karlu translation are my futile attempts to do a rhyming in english. Gestalt can be a shape, silhouet,...

220px-Gonewiththewind1.jpg

I wonder what Karlu is rhyming in the english version, something from Gone with the Wind?

Edited by chattius

Beautiful find! And looks like we gots ourselves a new true Easter, Easter-egg! :lol:

Guess we can add this a new entry on the eggs page, Chattius I will make the page and you can add your info to it as Egg Finder so that you get the credit

:)

gogo

I just looked up: the german quest name is: 'Vom Winde verweht' which is just the german name for the book and the movie. Anyone having the english version noticed if Karlu was perhaps quoting some famous english ballade, movie, ...?

I just looked up: the german quest name is: 'Vom Winde verweht' which is just the german name for the book and the movie. Anyone having the english version noticed if Karlu was perhaps quoting some famous english ballade, movie, ...?

The wiki lists a quest "Gone With the Wind", so I assume it is the same reference as the German version.

@Lujate: Sadly the Gone with the wind quest is red at wiki. I wanted to look up if there might have been an english text whhich I could search at a literature search machine.

But if the text would have made into a parody, as it was in the german version, I would need an english reader would would recognize the original :(

@Lujate: Sadly the Gone with the wind quest is red at wiki. I wanted to look up if there might have been an english text whhich I could search at a literature search machine.

But if the text would have made into a parody, as it was in the german version, I would need an english reader would would recognize the original :(

The Blood Forest quests are in need of a little TLC. I am currently working on them and hope to have them all done in 1-2 weeks. I will try to get that quest done as soon as I can, and then I will post back here.

By the way, CM adds one more Easter Egg that quotes Goethe's works - Faust chain quest which is entirely based on the famous play. So maybe those references can get a common page.

P.S. This chain is in my todo lits now. I hope to make the page soon.

Edited by Silver_fox

The quest is now complete:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Gone_With_the_Wind

I am unfamiliar with the movie, but here are a couple of things that seemed out of place to me.

Karlu starts:

Who's riding so late through murky night,

The zombie 't is, in his dark guise!

There is also a line in the logbook that seems to be making some reference:

Well then, dear heart, take leave and finish this quest!

So the english Karlu text is like a translation of the german Karlu text but without recognizing that it was a parody on Goethe's Erlkönig.

Seems I am getting old, Erlkönig was already in this post:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16529&view=findpost&p=6904368

Edited by chattius

Forgot to mention:

I HATE GOETHE. My avatar is the coat of arms of Wetzlar, where I grew up. When young Goethe made too much trouble at his birthtown Frankfurt he was send to his aunt at Wetzlar to become an apprentice at the highest german court located there. One of his friends at Wetzlar suicided and this made him writing The sorrows of young Werther.

The school I visited was named Goetheschule, the school my sister visited Lotteschule (after his girl friend) every year we had to read Goethe books or ballades or theatre playing, ...

And this year my daughter came home with a Goethe-plant= friendship plant. It was a plant from madagascar which Goethe did research. He was sending leaves of his plant to friends with a rhyme how to care for them. The leaves laid on wet earth produced new plants -so once again Goethe.

Wetzlar has a big optical industry (Leitz microscopes, leica and Minox cameras (the small James Bond spy cameras), Zeiss telescopes, ...) and Goethe did some early work on Colour Theory. Photons were unknown then and people were discussing what the physics of colours are. Goethe said colours are done by the brain and may be different from person to person or animal. Last year there were guided tours to celebrate his 200year old colour theory, ...

When I had to write a half year work about Goethe at highschool I was the only one who was writing about his nature researches

Edited by chattius

The Blood Forest quests are in need of a little TLC. I am currently working on them and hope to have them all done in 1-2 weeks. I will try to get that quest done as soon as I can, and then I will post back here.

Bravo Lujate, I just saw your complete quest in Wiki, Thanks for getting this in place, and your writing is great. Alas, poor Chattius, we'll run you away from as much Goethe as possible :P The Faust page sounds awesome Silver. I took some time out to read it from our break. Me and Schot are blowing up things in the old Sacred Wiki and having to rebuild them into new namespaces...leftover crappa lappa from the old days...nothing to worry about

:oooo:

gogo

You people from the netherlands live too close to east friesian, which has Otto has most known citizen ;P

Or perhaps Erlkönig as heavy metal?

Oops, my oldest has a T-shirt reading which she wears when selling tickets at a nearby camping place to earn some pocket money.

"Schwarze Schrift auf gelbem Grund, halte Abstand, bleib gesund!"

"Black writing on yellow ground, keep distance, stay alive!"

220px-NL_license_plate.jpg

Back on topic:

Just read the great questinfo which is now on wiki. The english karlu texts mentions that the lines are plagiarism. So it seems that the Erlkönig parody/plagiarism was lost in translation: ...No I didn't copy this poem from someone else....

430px-GoneWithWind_Karlu1Dialog.jpg

The german text says Selbstreflexion (self-reflection), while the english says self-deliberation. Self-reflexion would be the theory what a human is: cogito ergo sum, or a bipedal without feathers, ... So Karlu seems to be quite a philosoph, trying to define what a zombie is.

Edited by chattius

Oops, my oldest has a T-shirt reading which she wears when selling tickets at a nearby camping place to earn some pocket money.

"Schwarze Schrift auf gelbem Grund, halte Abstand, bleib gesund!"

"Black writing on yellow ground, keep distance, stay alive!"

220px-NL_license_plate.jpg

:D Gotta remember that one for my aunt! She is always annoyed by Dutch tourists driving in front of her, well below the speed limit to enjoy "the scenic view of the mountains." And we Dutch like to make fun of Germans also...although those continuous "give us back our bikes" jokes start to tire one out at some point.

We live close to Dillenburg ... So in summer we see thousands of these car signs.

Mainly because of him and this:

Wilhelmus van Nassouwe

ben ik, van Duitsen bloed,

den vaderland getrouwe

blijf ik tot in den dood.

Een Prinse van Oranje

ben ik, vrij, onverveerd,

den Koning van Hispanje

heb ik altijd geëerd.

250px-WilliamOfOrange1580.jpg

220px-Wilhelmsturm.jpg

Edited by chattius