PS 3 tech question

slyborg

Ok,I have one of the first-gen PS3s with a 60 gig harddrive. I decided to give Ol Bessie a new harddrive (320 gig)...and PSN has gone down for the count. I know you need to be able to log on to back up your trophy list. Is there any other need,other than that,for PSN access? Or can I go ahead and do my backup/new drive replacement/restore?

You will always have your trophies, unless you actually delete your PSN account.

OR unless that dreaded 1. March 2010 bug repeats itself. (not very likely).

You should be able to safely change harddrives without corrupting any trophies that you have earned.

Just remember to copy your gamesaves to your new harddrive aswell.

I have changed harddrives myself.

(I had a 40 gig originally, and installed a 500 gig harddrive)

Still, I would wait for PSN to get back online.

Some hackers brought the network down for some crazy reason.

Remember, your trophies are saved on your PSN account, not on your hd.

Thanks,Sirius-I think I will wait till PSN is back up.As of Saturday morning (23 Apr),PSN is STILL down. I have seen some reports blaming hackers-saw a thread over on Ars Technica that suggests it might actually be Sony making some bone-headed tech mistake that killed the network. Personally,I blame the gremlins.... :P

Edited by slyborg

Oh my. It would appear that it WAS a hacker attack that put PSN down and that some folk's credit card info was lifted. Sony themselves are saying that they aren't sure credit card data is safe. I would log on to delete my credit card information but the damned thing is STILL down. Probably wouldn't help much at this point anyway. I AM watching my cc acount for any charges I don't recognize. Anyone else with a credit card on file with these bozos might want to do the same.

edit:link (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/psn-update-sony-isnt-sure-your-credit-card-data-is-safe.ars)

Edited by slyborg