Does Battery affect Combat Art Damage?

Hello. I'm new to playing Sacred 2 Ice & Blood on the PC. But I have thousands of hours logged into the PS3 version. With only slightly less time spent on just testing out and researching combat art mods, and skill selections. This forum, the Sacred Wiki, and the S.I.F. have been indispensable in supporting my admiration for this game.

I was hoping some one could enlighten me a little because while Sacred 2 information is fairly prevalent. The changes in Ice & Blood are much more difficult to nail down. Especially coming from the console version.

There are two things I saw today that challenged my understanding of the game mechanics. Playing as the Temple Guardian I equipped a battery with a lava rock socketed into it. For the purpose of converting some of the cannon damage to fire, and then to exploit the powers of damage lore (which has been pointless on the PS3 version.) Any way after the battery was equipped I noticed that my untouchable force buff was displaying 100% fire damage. Not only that but the damage was increased from its original value. Then I noticed that all of his combat arts that I had slotted were the same. Including icy evanescence. After a little testing it looks like the damage type displayed is incorrect, I.e. untouchable force still does magic damage and ice evanescence still does ice damage. However the damage boost does stay. I found that I had additional fire damage +x% equipped in other armor that was increasing the damage of the spells .

Now this contradicts two things that I thought were absolute. One; that the battery did not affect the combat arts in any way. And two; that the elemental damage conversion was done last and only +x% to the original damage type could boost the damage. Is this a new "feature" in Ice & Blood? And if so how far reaching is it? This is on closed net.

Welcome to DarkMatters...

First off.. Whatever gave you the idea that the battery had no effect on CAs? Part of the purpose for the battery is to boost the left arm's cannon - but many, if not all of the TG's CAs are executed by the LEFT arm.

The CAs executed by the left arm include:

Dedicated Blow: The left arm turns into a mace which puts the mega smackdown on baddies.

T-Energy Shroud: The TG raises his left arm straight up to engage the shroud.

Amplifying Discharge: The left arm becomes a cannon that shoots bullets.

Furious Emblazer: The left arm becomes a flame thrower.

Jolting Touch: The left arm becomes a lethal sort of electro-shock therapy device.

Archimedes Beam: The left arm becomes a potent laser like energy weapon

Primal Mutation: The left arm discharges a cloud of T-Energy that can mutate enemies.

Fiery Ember: The left arm reaches to the ground to heat up the ground underfoot.

Icy Evanescence: The left arm reaches down to the ground to freeze the ground underfoot.

Charged Grid: The left arm reaches down to the ground to fire a pulse of T-Energy that can heal allies and damage opponents.

The CAs that are not affected directly by the left arm are:

Battle Extension: The TG grows a 3rd arm that attacks in close quarters combat

Deathly Spears: Spear points shoot out from the TG's waist area and stab mobs surrounding you.

Combat Alert: The TG puts his two arms together to start the CA/Buff

Propelled Levitation: Two jets sprout from the TG's hips.

Untouchable Force: The TG puts his arms together to start this buff as well.

The easy way to see how much of an effect your choice in batteries has on your CAs - take a battery and equip it and then take another one and swap it out. As you select different CAs, you should see the damage amount and type change from battery A to B right there on the inventory screen.

Now... It may be that the console versions of the game didn't display the damage the same way. But the PC version has always had this ability - it's not new in Ice and Blood.

Edited by wolfie2kX

I'm not sure that I explained my self clearly. I understand that the battery is an integral part of the temple guardians arsenal. And that when equipped it can support the temple guardian in many ways.

I guess my specific question (and/or comment now that I have done further testing.) Is that a battery when socketed with a damage converter like a lava rock, or a poison fang. Will convert the damage type of all of the temple guardians combat arts to the same type. To varying degrees. This is different in it's effect from the default damage type displayed on the battery. Which as I understand it only affects the standard left click attack. And also different from any other bonuses/modifiers the battery may have on it.

The devout guardian combat arts seem to follow the same percentage of the damage converter value.

The lost fusion combat arts are a mix. I saw amplified discharge convert about the same as the devout guardian aspects. While jolting touch displayed 100% conversion.

The source warden combat arts, which I'm most interested in. Are converted the same as above. Which is to say, physical damage is converted by the percentage of the damage changing item. While any other elemental damage is converted 100%.

I do not see this happening with any other damage type socketing done to normal weapons. This is of value to me because I am bringing up a source warden based temple guardian. And being able to switch all of the different damage types that a source warden can produce to one type is huge. As I said in the post above it doesn't look like the damage type is actually converted. Only the damage type displayed, and the +x% of bonuses to the damage type. As an example my untouchable force buff without any other influencing factors displays a base value of 16 magic damage. I equip a battery with a lava rock socketed. Not just a normal 70% physical 30% fire damage type battery. A damage type converted, through socketing battery. My damage is shown as 100% fire damage, and adjusted by +x% fire damage bonuses. In this case with +25% fire damage bonus through jewels it will show 20 fire damage. In my experience it still does the normal damage type, in this case magic damage. This is important to the source warden temple guardian because now if I chose to, I could socket all +x% fire damage jewels instead of +x% all damage type jewels (which are typically lower in value at any given level), and receive full bonuses to the base value of all my combat arts. Primal mutation is the exception here.

It is possible that this was the same on the consoles. Without damage lore mastery working, changing damage types wasn't quite as useful. So I didn't experiment with damage converters as much. But the little I did, led me to believe that the socketing of different damage types in the original Sacred 2 was a little broken. Which is what spawned the question. The console version is subtly different to the P.C. version in many ways, but at it's root it is the same. Up until Ice & Blood.

I thank you for responding to me, and Darkmatters for making Sacred 2 Gold easier to obtain.

OK.. I can see where the confusion might be coming from. The first thing to understand - the battery is, in and of itself, a unique item type. It's not quite a weapon. It's not quite armor. It's a mix of both. This is why there's a direct effect on CAs while other weapons don't have that same effect on CAs.

The console version has a fairly large number of differences from the PC version. There are a number of things that work in the PC version that never worked or were highly glitched in the consoles - Blacksmith, as a for instance. Likewise, there are things in the Console versions that worked that didn't quite work properly on the PC until Ice and Blood (Regeneration per Hit).

What level is the lava rock you're socketing?

The battery is a weapon (hence it has a damage converter socket, though it can rarely have some +armour mods) & is responsible for the arm cannon damage (ie, ranged damage when Dedicated Blow & Battle Extension aren't in the active slot). The only way it can affect CAs is by the mods on the item, it's never added it's damage (or a portion thereof) to the CA damage, you can check this by equipping a low level white/grey battery & comparing the CA damage when you equip a high level white/grey battery (since white/grey batteries shouldn't have any mods that boost CA damage). I'll take some screenshots when I get home.

The whole battery-affecting-CAs thing is a thematic concept only, it won't actually do anything in-game (though it should have & Ascaron missed a trick there IMO).

There has always been a display bug with damage converters in that it will convert non-weapon based CA damage on the tooltip, but that is only a display bug, the damage converters aren't supposed to (and don't) affect non-weapon based CAs. The damage conversion is done last in the calculation, so any +% fire damage modifiers won't boost the physical damage converted into fire with a lava rock.

k... now I'm gonna have to reconcile all this info in the wiki Temple Guardian battery page... lol don't know if we even have one yet.

Gee thanks guys

:P

gogo

Just checked, with one nekkid level 200 TG, a white Niobium battery (level 216, 204-277 damage, no other mods) & a grey Bronze battery (level 1, 13-18 damage, no other mods). All CAs are level 1, no skills, no item mods or anything.

Furious Emblazer did 107 damage with no battery equipped, the Bronze battery equipped & the Niobium battery equipped.

Battle Extension did 262 damage with no battery equipped, the Bronze battery equipped & the Niobium battery equipped.

Primal Mutation did 144 damage with no battery equipped, the Bronze battery equipped & the Niobium battery equipped.

The only damage a battery will directly increase is that of the ranged arm cannon. The only way a battery can effect any CA is by the mods it has (including sockets).

Display bug! You dirty rat! I got excited that they might have actually made the battery more useful. And possibly made +x% to converted damage type exploitable.

My own testing on a low level character does agree with Llama8. The damage type displayed is wrong as well as any +x% bonus it might show from the converted damage type. At low levels +25% is hard to see especially with a S.W. Temple Guardian just trying to survive.

On the Wiki page about batteries ( My link ) you can see what I am seeing. The screen captures display both Amplified discharge, and Battle Extension converted to poison damage. With Battle Extension it is possible to explain this, with it being weapon based. But Amplified Discharge doing poison damage is harder to explain. It looks as though the damage conversion coming from the socketed battery has a global effect on the Temple Guardians combat arts, and weapons . The converter socketed will display x% conversion on physical damage (Where x equals the value on the socketed item in the battery.), but will display 100% conversion to all the other elements.

What I didn't test, being that I'm primarily a spell caster, is if the damage conversion to the weapon and/or weapon based combat arts coming from the battery is effective. Or if that is also a display bug.

The discrepancies in this game are one of the reasons I keep coming back. Gotta love it!

I am pretty sure I am right about this, but to confirm (since you cannot pull tool tip info for it I'm aware of), damage lore also effects the projectile as well, correct? This way as far as use for the battery you can hit for two or more damage types.

I have yet to play a caster guardian; I go all melee and spears. I also build a knockback so I can use my battery. I'm hoping I'm right

I am pretty sure I am right about this, but to confirm (since you cannot pull tool tip info for it I'm aware of), damage lore also effects the projectile as well, correct? This way as far as use for the battery you can hit for two or more damage types.

Yes, since it's easier (kinda) to get multiple-elemental damage batteries than for most other weapons (except pistols, which the TG can also use) you can use the battery ranged attack to proc multiple elemental effects more easily. In Ice and Blood, Damage Lore affects non-weapon based attacks as well as weapon based attacks (& the battery ranged attack is a weapon-based attack).

Let me see if I got this right.Did anyone try and test this wrongfully displayed damage type?As I can't rly figure it out in these posts.Is it just a glitch or can it be exploited.Did anyone thoroughly test it?

For example take a high level TG,take any battery and socket it with a lava chunk for say 40% conversion to fire dmg.

Now the display wrongfully states that lava chunk converted all your CA elemental dmg to fire dmg, in reality all your CAs are still doing their respective damage types (physical,magic,ice...) but the displayed info is wrong.

Now, add a lot of +X% fire damage sockets, for say...+45% fire dmg.Check if it will increase your CAs dmg. (If the display info is wrongfully showing that all your CAs are now doing fire dmg +45% fire dmg bonus should be clearly visible on your CA dmg info.)Go hit a few mobs, and see if the dmg rly got increased by 45% or is it all just a glitch.

From the posts above I can't figure out if it turned out to be just a glitch or did it actually work.

I think you got it wrong.

Socketing a converter in your battery works just as well as socketing it in any other weapon.

What is wrong is that damage conversion only works for weapon based attacks while the lying character screen lists spells as being converted as well. This is a problem with all characters, not just the TG.

..and in case you wonder, the TG only has two weapon-based combat arts: Dedictated Blow and Battle Extension. Normal attacks (whether done with weapons or the battery guns) count as well.

I think you got it wrong.

Socketing a converter in your battery works just as well as socketing it in any other weapon.

What is wrong is that damage conversion only works for weapon based attacks while the lying character screen lists spells as being converted as well. This is a problem with all characters, not just the TG.

..and in case you wonder, the TG only has two weapon-based combat arts: Dedictated Blow and Battle Extension. Normal attacks (whether done with weapons or the battery guns) count as well.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!! :twitch: :twitch:

Tnx for clearing it up, just a lying char info then :D