What's with the oil in the spaghetti sauce ...

I'm not sure I understand this. Are we just supposed to toss out the oil that we brown the meat in..then put back olive oil back into the sauce for it all to stew in?

Or... do we throw out the oil from the meat AND don't put in any olive oil?

:unsure:

gogo

How much olive oil is your recipie asking for?

I've never put oil in my sauces, and have had no issues that would "ruin" anything... admittedly I don't perfectly drain my beef, so there is typically some oilyness to the sauce.

As to the difference, IIRC, cooked oils are more "saturated", and thus less good for you than unsaturated fats.

If I'm storing cooked pasta, I will add olive oil so it doesn't end up as one clump of pasta :thumbsup:

It was actually a recipe I saw on youtube...this really great chef squishing a whole bunch of fresh tomatoes, and then pouring what seemed like gallons and gallons of oil into the sauce. I myself have actually never added oil to a spaghetti sauce..but the way he was talking about it made it seem so tasty... that whole part about getting it aerated and all with the pan tossing the sauce up in the air as he was cooking... :4rofl:

The only time I've actually had encounters with oil in the spaghetti sauce was in removing it...I'm just wondering if there is some "way" to reconcile oil in a spaghetti sauce now?

:)

gogo

The saturated fat (turns white when in cools) from the Meat is bad for you. The unsaturated fat from the Olive oil is much better for you, and good for your skin and hair

It was actually a recipe I saw on youtube...this really great chef squishing a whole bunch of fresh tomatoes, and then pouring what seemed like gallons and gallons of oil into the sauce.

Ahhhh... google opens my eyes :D I searched "spaghetti sauce+olive oil" and I see that this recepie exists... kinda like salad dressing for your pasta. :twitch: Mostly they are extra-virgin olive oil and spices to taste, which is put on the pasta - usually as a side, not a main course.

The saturated fat (turns white when in cools) from the Meat is bad for you. The unsaturated fat from the Olive oil is much better for you, and good for your skin and hair

k, this makes sense to me. The white stuff coming off the meat... sometimes if it's found in curries and stuff the next day..yucka. But the olive oil going in...it's like kind replacement of the bad oil for the new olivy stuff? :lol:

It was actually a recipe I saw on youtube...this really great chef squishing a whole bunch of fresh tomatoes, and then pouring what seemed like gallons and gallons of oil into the sauce.

Ahhhh... google opens my eyes :D I searched "spaghetti sauce+olive oil" and I see that this recepie exists... kinda like salad dressing for your pasta. :twitch: Mostly they are extra-virgin olive oil and spices to taste, which is put on the pasta - usually as a side, not a main course.

And...just for you I did some lookups on the net for the recipes...here's a great one from Anthony Bourdain:

Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce

I'll look harder later tonight for the really crazy sauce I saw one of Bourdain's friends make with what seemed like a gallon of oil...and he kept flipping up the oil and sauce over and over to get it aerated. He was advocating the use of a very wide fry pan to get that special flavor he says only his parents and grandparents from a certain part of Italy can make.

:)

gogo

Just one word:

Steinpilzspecksosse

I will shoot everyone who will steal the fat out of it!

If you just left your mother and live in your first own rooms and are only able to cook one recipe, then probably replacing the oil with olive oil is better. I think it is a difference if you go unhealthy once a week or all the time.

I think I have now to add the recipe:

Steinpilzspecksosse

15gramm dried Steinpilze (variant of bolete mushrooms, in shops you get mainly porcinos), we collect and dry them ourself

water them 15 minutes in a quarter litre of water, sieve them, keep the water

100gramm smoked pork belly bacon (durchwachsener Speck), cut in cubes, put in a pan and heat till the fat from the cubes makes them swim.

Now add the mushrooms and roast them a bit in the fat

Cool down with the mushroom-water and 250gramm Schmand-(20% local sour cream) before the mushrooms get too brown. Add some dried forest fruits (blue berries, forest strawberries, ...) and boil the mix for a short time. Add salt, pepper, some fine cut herbs at your taste and use potatoe stark to thicken the sauce if needed.

Enough for around a pound of noodles.

Fruit-wine noodles

The above sauce tastes best with selfmade fruit-wine noodles:

500gramm spelt flour - doppelgriffiges Mehl, hart to translate, flour(mehl) is normally milled very fine so that you can't feel single particles if moving it between your fingers. Griffig means that you have/feel grip(Griff), means you can feel single particles. It is sized somewhere between flour(below 0.1 millimetres particle size) and semolina (0.2 millimetres too 0.5 millimetres particle size).

1 large egg, the yolk of another egg

300 millilitres fruit wine (I use self made, but apple-wine can be used too)

mix it, form a ball, wrap some plastic foil around, cool it in refridgerator for an hour

Form it however you want with a noodle machine. The dough is more elastic than by just using water and the noodles have a nice fruit taste which fits to some recipes.

Lot of work, so normally we do it at a rainy sunday. But fun to make with kids, collecting the mushrooms, fruits, making the wine, flour, the noodles, nearly all the stuff in the recipes done by ourself. Tastes double so good if you are proud in what you created.

picture from a german cooking forum:

46901-bigfix-spaghetti-mit-steinpilz-speck-sosse.jpg

Edited by chattius
  • 1 month later...

The oil is why not to eat spaghetti sauce in your best shirt! How much oil did they add? I might add 2 tablespoons to fry the onions/peppers/garlic/mushrooms etc. Maybe more if the mushrooms dry out.

And chattius I wonder if I can make an americanize version of your sourcream mushroom bacon berry herb noodle. Sounds awesome flavors.

Edited by claudius
  • 6 months later...

To proof that a good sauce is best without any oil, just unhealthy fat ;) :

Spaghetto Carbonara - Field kitchen amounts

75 hungry kids and adults after a nice winterwalking through the forest, so really hungry

18 litres milk

15 pounds of Schmand (smetana, high fat sour cream)

100 eggs

40 pound spaghetti

9 pound bacon

40 toes of garlic

30 bunches of parsley

2 pound files Parmesan cheese

My field kitchen has 3 pots, 1 high heat to roast, 1 big to boil and keeping warm.

The trick to prevent spaghetti from glueing is a lot of room to move and a lot of water. So the field kitchen has a really bit pot, allowing the spaghetti to move as they like.

Boil spaghetti (short before the point that they are 'al dente and release water if doing a one-pot)

Meanwhile with the other pot:

Roast the bacon pieces in the small pot,

Mix milk, cream, eggs, garlic and cheese.

Pour the mix on still roasting bacon. Boil for 10-15 minutes and add fine chopped parsley.

You can now either serve from 2 pots, which looks prettier on a dish.

Other variant

I prefer to do the spaghetti short before al dente, adding the sauce mix into the same pot, mix all and the spaghtti will becomne automatically al dente while keeping them warm and have sucked up some aroma.

In my variant I do only a tiny bit of salt to the spaghetti water, spicing is done with the sauce, where I add a bit salt and pepper.

Seem to be making heavy work of this. The chef who tosses stuff appears to be showing off.

A little olive oil, brown the onions, then garlic, then the meat, then get on with whatever ingredients you wish to add (but don't forget the tomatoes). Very much the same as for curries.

If you are worried about a little insignificant bit of fat, then skip the meat and put something less life-threatening in. Sauces for spaghetti can be made of almost anything that takes your fancy. Leftovers are a good 'sauce' of inspiration. :chef:

And yes ... a pinny. My wife made me one decorated with a big fat pig. Hmmpht

Edited by Bondbug