Greasings and Sanitations!

So, it's a commonly-held theory that newcomers to a popular forum should introduce themselves as a first step. I've found that while, in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.

Anyway, I'm going to start with a little bit of name-dropping.

I'm Chris, and there's a non-zero chance that you've heard of me, especially if you've played a particular pen-n-paper RPG made by an all-too-familiar group of coastal wizards. If your use of that game happened to fall in the last decade -- specifically, the third edition of the game -- then you probably ran into my work.

Here, I can get more specific. If you've heard of HeroForge, then you've seen what I can do. While there's a small crowd of people continually adding more stuff to it, I'm the one who got it all started; I'd have to guess that about 80% of what's in it is stuff that I made for it.

As for CRPGs, I've been playing games on computers since, well, before they had color. I've been playing roguelikes since the original Rogue came out, and I have yet to legitimately beat one. I have a habit of never quite finishing long-term-story games, though there are a few 'project' games I've actually completed; specifics I can recall include Sacred (and UW), Ultima 7, System Shock 1 & 2, Stonekeep... and I could probably get twenty more if I sat still for a while and really thought it out.

So there you have it. Old-school curmudgeonly gamer, gray-bearded (well, going gray) RPG nerd, and one of those long-term computer geeks that remembers the eight-inch floppy disc.

Hi.

• Like! 1

Hi Christopher and welcome to the forums :)

Going gray here myself (and a little bald). And I remember when floppy's were ...well..umm....floppy :)

Bravo on the intro Chris!

I think we have a lot of afficionados of anything non normal here. You're in the right place, hoping you have a lot of fun with the community and Sacred 2.

Welcome to Darkmatters!

:)

gogo

Hi Chris

I still have a 5 megabyte harddisc and a 200kilobyte 8inch floppy. And the 8bit computer with it's 32kilobyte RAM is still running, still nice for testing out electric circuits.

Welcome to the forums Chris.

I must say, I went and googled heroforge after reading your intro, sounds like something that alot of work must have gone into, impressive stuff.

Welcome to the boards, Chris! I'm sure you'll be like a fish in the water here. :) I too, own one of those "powerhouses" of way back. Namely 80386. Not too sure if it still works. It's in my old home.

Shouldda go check it one of these days. Also, I have couple of friends who are into pen 'n paper, so I really should check some titles up. They mostly sound quite intriquing.

Hello and welcome, Chris. This is a great bunch. Ahh the good ole pen-n-paper rpg. I have very fond memories of the many hours my friends and I spent playing.lol

HaHa Knuckles, I also remember when floppy really meant floppy..lol

Enjoy your stay!

Sarah

I just google heroforge this morning too. Chris, are you still affilliated with it? Are you still supplying content or hours?

Neither, actually. I've officially left the company that formed for the 4th-edition version, and I haven't been an active maintainer on the original for a while. I'm given credit as the creator, but the optimizing credit goes to other people. The baton's been passed on to other people, and they're doing a great job at keeping it running.

Wow, a thread full of nostalgia?

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) I don't remember too much pre-3.5" floppies... Sure I've seen and heard of 8", but never worked with one. Not unless you can count tossing one around the office as an office-friendly frisbee... sweating.gif

And yeah, I used to be a p'n'p RPGer back in the day, but kinda dropped off for a while after 3rd Ed came out... :/

Other than that, welcome Lone, have fun :)

In theory, practise makes perfect. Theoretically, practising theory perfects practice?

Welcome, Chris! Glad to have you here!

BTW, real games were on cassette...