Favourite Butty

Aahhh, the butty discussion. My favourite butty has to be my bacon and egg butty, my Saturday morning treat.

A 6 inch sub-roll, lightly toasted, 3-4 bacon medallions, 2 fried eggs and slathered in brown sauce (HP for favourite). After successfully coating my arteries once more and adding one more point towards my scheduled heart attack, I am set up for the day and usually don't eat anything else until my evening meal.

And to those who claim my unhealthy lifestyle means I will die young, every man in my family has lived healthily and died before they reached 60, except one, who loved fried and fatty foods, drank like a fish, never exercised and lived until 97.

I am 53 and intend to do better than he did!

Aeh, what is a butty?

Should be very easy for you to figure it out.. Surprised you didn't - given the word is almost identical to the German slang word "Butti" - aka butter and Podgie Bear's description... It's Brit slang for a sandwich.

You mean to say it is not on WIKI!

HoHo One up to us Podgie my old pal ... sorry "YOUNG" pal.

Aaaargh Wolfie spoilt it

I suppose, you knowledgeable lot, that a big Mac might qualify? But as what? A sludge and salad butty?

And reading Wolfie's post again - not really a sandwich but a filled BUN... with or without "butti" (interesting connection that, Wolfie - thanks

Edited by Bondbug

You mean to say it is not on WIKI!

HoHo One up to us Podgie my old pal ... sorry "YOUNG" pal.

Aaaargh Wolfie spoilt it

I suppose, you knowledgeable lot, that a big Mac might qualify? But as what? A sludge and salad butty?

Sorry bout that... There's a wiki entry - but the Free Dictionary definition is more direct and to the point...

As far as the Big Mac goes... I'm thinking calling it a sludge and salad butty would be an insult to the sludge.

I wouldn't qualify myself as being all that knowledgeable... I just know that if I don't know something, I gotta look it up.

Btw.. Podgie's description of his favorite butty - his is on a sub roll. Do those count? My definition of a "bun" is a round bread device, generally sliced in half, but occasionally in 3 parts, to be stuffed with whatever...

Edited by wolfie2kX

I found butty as buttered bread in my dict. But BREAD is made from sour dough at my place while sub-rolls, baguettes, sandwiches are made from white-bread.

So it is limited to white-bread (which we very rarely use at our family)?

If so: What I like when visiting a Volksfest (fun fair, carousells, beer tents, ...) is a Heringsbrötchen: bread-roll halved, a heringe put in and some onions rings added, nothing more, nothing less. I do not need salade, sauce, cucumbers or anything for this. Just keep it easy.

1077752_m2.jpg

I can see your confusion... But can't sandwiches be made from sourdough bread too?

Me - I like the occasional pastrami sandwich - the fast food greasy spoon variety - not the deli variety as much.

post-14586-0-95255600-1304600364_thumb.jpg

It's just gotta have the right dill chips, yellow mustard on it.

Edited by wolfie2kX

I think the german language adopted the word sandwich but uses it as two slices of white bread wit ha filling. A Butterbrot (butter bread) is sourdough in our area, but mainly a single slice of bread. If we are talking about Butterbrot, tons of recipes, but I am not really stuck to a favourite, I use everything which is not quick enough to leave the kitchen and this varies from day to day, ...

At parties my Speierlinggriebenschmalzbutterbrote are normaly the first stuff which is eaten right away and I am always asked for the recipes. But I limit making them just for parties. They need some time for preparation.

Btw.. Podgie's description of his favorite butty - his is on a sub roll. Do those count? My definition of a "bun" is a round bread device, generally sliced in half, but occasionally in 3 parts, to be stuffed with whatever...

I called it a sub roll for the benefit of our friends across the sea, because I thought that calling it a Tiger Stick, which is what I actually use (except when I use a Granary Stick for variety) would confuse the hell out of them.

I called it a sub roll for the benefit of our friends across the sea, because I thought that calling it a Tiger Stick, which is what I actually use (except when I use a Granary Stick for variety) would confuse the hell out of them.

OK.. I'm assuming you're referring to this...

In which case, I'd have to agree... It would have not made sense - given that the top google results have to do with pine tar used on baseball bats... I had to refine my search to specify bread before I found the link above.

From some of the descriptions I've found elsewhere - the bread sounds and awful lot like what's known around here as Dutch Crunch. The stuff isn't easy to come by at the moment. There's a bakery in Reno that makes it - and the one time I visited there - I couldn't get enough. A deli sub sandwich chain called ToGo's (sorta like Subway) used to have it - but they stopped... The Barstewards!..! The bread is good stuff - if you can find it.

Either way - one of those would be hard to describe as a "bun" as Bondbug has defined it.

Yes that is the sort of thing, but in a 12 inch "Subway" size, rather than a full "Loaf of Bread" size.

As regards the definition of a bun, that is so wide ranging as to be unbelievably confusing. "Bun" covers everything from a "Burger Bun" (ala BigMac) through Breadrolls (Subway) to Donuts and even includes Danish Pastries according to some peoples' definitions. When I visited the USA some years back, I found one of my favourite "Buns", they called it a Bearclaw.

Yes that is the sort of thing, but in a 12 inch "Subway" size, rather than a full "Loaf of Bread" size.

As regards the definition of a bun, that is so wide ranging as to be unbelievably confusing. "Bun" covers everything from a "Burger Bun" (ala BigMac) through Breadrolls (Subway) to Donuts and even includes Danish Pastries according to some peoples' definitions. When I visited the USA some years back, I found one of my favourite "Buns", they called it a Bearclaw.

Ah.. Yes.. Dutch Crunch.. :drool: I miss that bread... And yes, I was thinking about the 12" roll size as well.

I do know what you mean - you can also extend the definition of "bun" to include what some might call a pastry snail (a cinnamon roll) known as a "sticky bun"...

chip_butty430x300.jpg

Strange... Most people eat their fries (chips) as a side - not part of the main dish.

But at least it beats Vegemite... I have no idea how anyone can find that stuff to be a delicacy...

Edited by wolfie2kX

Must say I like the look of the pastrami, but so far (sorry young Podgie) I cannot resist the "Heringsbrötchen Butty", if only for the name.

Dreeft's traditional chip butty is my wife's favourite - so now she has a cholesterol problem.