Have mod, need new Combat Art icons in-game

And I need another one:

Dragon Berserk is now Dragon's Wrath. Dragon's Wrath allows you to focus the wrath of a dragon into your melee & ranged attacks, enhancing your damage and chance to hit.

It's a temp buff that adds to weapon damage & attack (amongst other things).

If you're changing it around, if it would be possible, I'd like to see something done w eternal fire.

Not just 'light some body on fire and stand in battle like you're taking a break'.

Could be real similar to ravaged impact (w/o the ranged stuff):

Dragon's Rage

1a - emblaze, catch dudes on fire

1b - convert to fire dmg

2a - breach - ignore armor

2b - knockback

3a - explosion - do small area fire damage

3b - contagion - catch other dudes on fire

If you're changing it around, if it would be possible, I'd like to see something done w eternal fire.

I've already added some base fire damage to it (as it stands, it does a % damage that's not any specific/resistable element), what makes Eternal Fire special is that it can spread to other opponents & IIRC, the fire damage (et_spelldamage_fire) spreads with it.

1a - emblaze, catch dudes on fire

1b - convert to fire dmg

2a - breach - ignore armor

2b - knockback

3a - explosion - do small area fire damage

3b - contagion - catch other dudes on fire

#1b & 3a wouldn't be possible as that's not how the CA works (as defined by whatever code they're using for the spellcontroll entry, interestingly, they've used the same one as for Viperish Disease). 2b should work I think & it should be applied on each damage pulse. 2a should only work if you've added some "proper" elemental damage (like I did & you've requested) & 1a & 3b are existing mods for that type of CA.

As Stormwing says, it's best if these changes are kept separate from the CM patch, that way people can still play that with the original CAs that Ascaron made, or they can play with the ones I've modified if they want to.

Any chance you will be making a pure summon type character? I posted ideas in the mod thread. Sorry I cannot create a link with cell phone.

It can be done, yes, the only problems with making too radical changes to aspects are that the tooltips are largely hardcoded in terms of what information they display. For example, I changed Untouchable Force into a summon buff, but it's not possible to change the CA tooltip to display the minion level (since the Untouchable Force CA tooltip is hardcoded to display damage, chance to stun, etc).

I would love to see a character of this type made into your mod. I look forward to playing the mod. The tooltip thing does not seem like a big deal anyway. Thanks for your work.

Edited by jdrdjr
....#1b & 3a wouldn't be possible as that's not how the CA works (as defined by whatever code they're using for the spellcontroll entry, interestingly, they've used the same one as for Viperish Disease)

Then, since I haven't fooled with it all other'n looking at the code and listening to you and a coupla others, it isn't possible to move the properties from spell.txt around between characters? Like taking the properties from viperish disease and copying it directly into the DM spell? If not, is it a hardcode problem?

2b should work I think & it should be applied on each damage pulse. 2a should only work if you've added some "proper" elemental damage (like I did & you've requested) & 1a & 3b are existing mods for that type of CA.

Persactly. Coolio.

As Stormwing says, it's best if these changes are kept separate from the CM patch, that way people can still play that with the original CAs that Ascaron made, or they can play with the ones I've modified if they want to.

Definitely. Reaching as many as possible.

Since you've done it successfully, I'm interested in 'what you can change and why' and 'what you can't and why'.

I been mulling around with a full transformation character in the idea stage, but gotta know the former so I can do so (rather than falling in the ditch a whole lot in figuring it out by trial and error).

One group of Combat Arts would be similar to the transformations you can do as a vampire (bat, wolf, mist)

One group of Combat Arts would be similar to golems (flesh, ent, stone)

One group of Combat Arts would be elemental (fire, ice, poison)

If you could of course copy stuff back and forth, you could use the self transformation token to do so, and use already existing sprites to augment through tokens.

If you can't, then it would not be possible to do it the way I was looking at it.

Edited by JKtheWonderguy
....#1b & 3a wouldn't be possible as that's not how the CA works (as defined by whatever code they're using for the spellcontroll entry, interestingly, they've used the same one as for Viperish Disease)

Then, since I haven't fooled with it all other'n looking at the code and listening to you and a coupla others, it isn't possible to move the properties from spell.txt around between characters? Like taking the properties from viperish disease and copying it directly into the DM spell? If not, is it a hardcode problem?

Each CA has a spellclass and spellcontroltype and depending on what each is effects whether or not certain tokens actually work (also the graphical effects, some only work on certain of these). So while you can change these properties theres no catchall that allows you to get everything to work.

Definitely. Reaching as many as possible.

Since you've done it successfully, I'm interested in 'what you can change and why' and 'what you can't and why'.

I been mulling around with a full transformation character in the idea stage, but gotta know the former so I can do so (rather than falling in the ditch a whole lot in figuring it out by trial and error).

One group of Combat Arts would be similar to the transformations you can do as a vampire (bat, wolf, mist)

One group of Combat Arts would be similar to golems (flesh, ent, stone)

One group of Combat Arts would be elemental (fire, ice, poison)

If you could of course copy stuff back and forth, you could use the self transformation token to do so, and use already existing sprites to augment through tokens.

If you can't, then it would not be possible to do it the way I was looking at it.

The thing with the transformations is that the Combat Arts that the transfromed player gets are hard coded to the CA. So, while you can edit those Combat Arts (fire odem, jump, lacerate...) so those forms have different Combat Arts you can't create a new transformation ca. You can only edit the 2 that are ingame, and giving them to a class other than the DM has proven difficult...

Thanx for looking it over Llama

What I was asking was to change it to a different spell type so it is weapon based, ie change it from "eCAtype_a_effect_attack" to "eCAtype_a_weapon_attack"

I've already added some base fire damage to it (as it stands, it does a % damage that's not any specific/resistable element), what makes Eternal Fire special is that it can spread to other opponents & IIRC, the fire damage (et_spelldamage_fire) spreads with it.

Right, using the "et_plague_const_fire" and "et_plague_infect" tokens to inflict the damage

I believe it should be able to be done through existing tokens, although:

1a) emblaze = et_chance_burning is used through weapon attacks as well

1b) convert to fire dmg (which you already have completed, et_physical_to_fire I assume)

2a) breach = et_chance_bypass_armor

2b) knockback = et_chance_knockback

3a) explosion = et_chance_areasplash

Now, the hard one:

Making the token that is used through a eCAtype_a_effect_attack based on a eCAtype_a_weapon_attack

Lemme ask first, are the tokens hard-coded through exe or dll (I intend to look a lil by myself for em after this post) or are they defined in a blueprint or something somewhere?

---

Post Script edit:

And if you have more info on regThisCool that'd help me understand more

From what I can tell it registers an effect change and makes it a part of a sprite's attributes or whatever, but that could be way off...

Edited by JKtheWonderguy

Unfortunately tokens/spellclass/spellcontroltype are all hard coded. Now if you changed the spell control type like you suggested you may not get the plague tokens working.

et_RegThisCool I can help you with. It lowers the cooldown of the CA its on. It follows the formula 1-1/(1+(x+y*calevel)/1000). At x+y*calevel=500 it reduces the cooldown by 33%.

That's what I was thinking too DB.

What I'm thinking about is how the killing spree pulse is done.

If it used the et_supercharge and made it all fire, it'd be a nice area of effect mod

Problem is with KS is it's a 'boost-self' thing, rather than weapon based one-time release

The only other thing I can think of is those circles that TG's (and some others) throw around and make that stick to the sprite, but that'd be ugly to try to code I think :)

That's what I was thinking too DB.

What I'm thinking about is how the killing spree pulse is done.

If it used the et_supercharge and made it all fire, it'd be a nice area of effect mod

Problem is with KS is it's a 'boost-self' thing, rather than weapon based one-time release

The only other thing I can think of is those circles that TG's (and some others) throw around and make that stick to the sprite, but that'd be ugly to try to code I think :)

The circles do not spring to mind :) Unless you mean the fire traps they throw?

As to et_supercharge, it only does damage if you are attacking and it builds up damage which it then releases, so it really only works as a minibuff like in KS. And the only way to get the pulsed animation it has (expanding yellow circle thingy) is to use that token...the sprite isn't linked with the ca, only with the token.

The circles do not spring to mind :) Unless you mean the fire traps they throw?

Yeah.

What if each time it hits it drops a fire trap? With a different animation, cause it just likes a red circle to me :)

But that's a diff control type. Could it work?

As to et_supercharge, it only does damage if you are attacking and it builds up damage which it then releases, so it really only works as a minibuff like in KS. And the only way to get the pulsed animation it has (expanding yellow circle thingy) is to use that token...the sprite isn't linked with the ca, only with the token.

Yeah.

My idea was to instantly charge to 100 percent and release it, then smack the regThisCool on it.

But it mixes spell control types too.

Maybe I could scrap the original idea and just go kinda with what Llama was talking about (not exactly, but) using that as a mini buff. Does fire damage, with chance of burning. Then it maybe it would work to use the plague thing.

The plague thing looks like it is real restrictive on how it works though. I dunno.

To be honest, Im not sure how feasible your initial suggestion is. You cannot change the animation applied by et_supercharge as its hardcoded. As to the rate at which it charges...Im not sure if that can be effected.

If you are after a buff that deals fire damage you can easily base it on something like incandescent skin I would suspect.

To be honest, Im not sure how feasible your initial suggestion is. You cannot change the animation applied by et_supercharge as its hardcoded. As to the rate at which it charges...Im not sure if that can be effected.

If you are after a buff that deals fire damage you can easily base it on something like incandescent skin I would suspect.

I'll fiddle with it a lil when I get around to it.

My deal was since it is 125 (12.5 percent) for the first value to bump it to 100 and see what happens

I'll fiddle with it a lil when I get around to it.

My deal was since it is 125 (12.5 percent) for the first value to bump it to 100 and see what happens

Worth a try I suppose :)

I'm asking a lotta questions cause at some point I'm gonna start whacking everything in the spells.txt (and others) and don't wanna fall in bunches of ditches that lotsa peops already know is there.