Sacred 2 Ice & Blood : Area of Effect King/Queen !

What is your Opinion ? Who is the best AoE in Sacred 2 ?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Take your pick !

• Seraphim using Flaring Nova ?
    • Seraphim using Radian Pillar ?
    • High Elf using Blazing Tempest T?
    • High Elf using Raging Nimbus ?
    • Temple Guardian using Icy Evanescence and Fiery Ember ?
    • Temple Guardian using Deadly Spears ?
    • Dragon Mage using Energy Blaze ?
    • Dragon Mage using Destroyer ?
    • Inquisitor using Raving Thrust and Clustering Maelstrom

Lot of people play this game with different characters and builds, so I decided to see who's the best char/build at killing mobs.

For me I say the best and the easiest one is a Flaring Nova Seraphim ! I love her so much that I pick her above all the other chars and build :D

What is you opinion ?

Lot of people play this game with different characters and builds, so I decided to see who's the best char/build at killing mobs.

For me I say the best and the easiest one is a Flaring Nova Seraphim ! I love her so much that I pick her above all the other chars and build :D

What is you opinion ?

Just three minor nits to pick with the poll's picklist..

1.) The Temple Guardian can only use Fiery Ember OR Icy Evanescence - not both at the same time.

2.) What about the TG's Charged Grid? That is also an Area of Effect CA - and this one can be used with either FE or IE.

3.) What about the Dryad's Voodoo Totem or Shadow Warrior's Skeletal Fortification? Both are technically Area of Effect CAs...

Edited by wolfie2kX

Fiery Ember/Icy evanescence can be used in rotation and make a fair build choice. And totem/fortifcation are at most 1 or 2 hits, so not really Area of Effect.

I would suggest that a dryad dualwielding magic staffs + Staff lore + rotate gold mod on darting assault is at least close to being queen...intant experience :)

Gotta try out a GOW, just for nostalgia for the old days if nothing else.

It has changed a fair bit...

Blazing Tempest & Radiant Pillar are very good (BT more so TBH), & Destroyers is very effective, though not really Area of Effect per se IMO.

I'm a big fan of Destroyers, and it feels like A of E to me, as long as you get yourself surrounded by a lot of enemies before you cast. BOOM, down they go, the second you cast. And if the enemy is spread out, you get the advantage of the "seeker" aspect of the individual "bombs".

I liked the Inquisitor's Clustering Maelstrom at first, but it is ineffective against pairs or small groups - you have to have a very large mob to crash together in the vortex before the spell really works.

So I started to find my Clustering Maelstrom character to be ineffective against tough monsters that come in pairs and trios, and even against large mobs of ranged fighters who spread out too much for you to catch more than a fraction of them into the spell.

Edited by belgarathmth

Gotta try out a GOW, just for nostalgia for the old days if nothing else.

It has changed a fair bit...

Absolutely. I've only fiddled with it a lil.

Intend on doing a melee/GOW hybrid. I been trying hard to figure out how I can make a DM a melee based character that can thrive in Niob.

Blazing Tempest & Radiant Pillar are very good (BT more so TBH), & Destroyers is very effective, though not really Area of Effect per se IMO.

Pillars just bore the enemy to death, IMO :agreed:

I'm a big fan of Destroyers, and it feels like A of E to me, as long as you get yourself surrounded by a lot of enemies before you cast. BOOM, down they go, the second you cast. And if the enemy is spread out, you get the advantage of the "seeker" aspect of the individual "bombs".

It's one of the builds in the hopper. Ain't spun out right in my head yet, but I see the potential by pouring through the S Wiki on it.

I liked the Inquisitor's Clustering Maelstrom at first, but it is ineffective against pairs or small groups - you have to have a very large mob to crash together in the vortex before the spell really works.

So I started to find my Clustering Maelstrom character to be ineffective against tough monsters that come in pairs and trios, and even against large mobs of ranged fighters who spread out too much for you to catch more than a fraction of them into the spell.

Depends bro.

I ran into the same problem. It's why you need something to augment the spell in a combo, and still make it an Area of Effect.

Levin Array/Raving Thrust can, but the power for me wasn't enough.

If you pull say two right in front of you, have a RP that's damaging them with a high aura, and hit them with a hard RM, it can still be effective.

Keep in mind to a certain extent CM is also a debuffer, cause anything being dragged to you (like stoopid shooting spiders for instance :twitch:) ain't shooting at you.

Got two builds working on doing so, one a bargainer, one not. Idea is to 'hand me down' same stuff to the pure build for power. Ran it in 2.4 to 89 niob, no probs.

I was using a mage staff for the RM. Found out the dual wield dryad wasn't the only one that killed screen upon screen. Arggh. :sick:

So now I run dual mage staffs. Doesn't activate the range if you don't choose Mage Staffs. Effectively three Area of Effect's in combo (well, two in combo and one in aura).

I'll get him to a hunred or so and show him off. He kicks some pretty hard butt :cool:

I have to say that so far my somersault seraphim is my fav Area of Effect build. Sure it's not quite as effective as a nova build, but it's infinitely more fun to watch and play. I plan on posting the build when it's finally perfected. For now let's just say that assailing somersault is extremely underrated.

Clustering Maelstrom is in my opinion best used with a hybrid character: ride on your spider, wield a polearm (spider and polearm give more range), bundle your enemies with CM and do a sweep with your polearm through them.

Also a x% life leech polearm adds boss killing ability.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like using hybrid inquisitor too. I started a bargainer and have been levelling him by riding spider and using whatever polearm I can buy. Use a combo with Cluster Maelstrom, Levin Array, Ruthless Mutilation. It rocks. I tried using Raving Thrust in there but just wasn't effective at all for me. He kills with no problems whatsoever, groups of any size. Modify CM with both extra range modifiers and it pulls everything. Keep in mind this is a bargainer, so his bargaining skill is getting all the points, with only 4 or 5 each in armor, astute focus, concentration, combat discipline, and tactics. He's level 18 and just now took polearms. I haven't focused at all on his offensive skills and he totally rocks. He's surprisingly destructive for only being a bargainer and having his offensive skills sorely neglected.

I would also go for Blazing Tempest and Radiant Pillar. Both have awesome damage and great post effects - BT burns, meaning more DoT, and RP weakens the enemies. Along with Hypnosis mod and fast Pillar casting, you can have a mindless mob of monsters playing pinball between the pillars, without a chance to swing at your character.

• Like! 1
  • 3 years later...

The AddOn would bring bug abusing staff dryads and inquisitors. The CM-patch some ore +ca-range items. I had great fun with a single aspect dragon mage who was optimized for CA-range when playing the CM-patch.

• Like! 1
  • 4 weeks later...

To me the true king of Area of Effect is the Temple Guardian with Icy Evanescence or Fiery Ember.

Even the mighty Blazing Tempest has its limitations. It can't go through obstacles like stones or plants, or bridges. It takes time to spread. Fire-armored enemies can resist it. Clustering Maelstrom is mighty, but only if there are tons of enemies. No good against a lone boss. Many of the others are good but require targeting (Radiant Pillar, Enegy Blaze) or require enemies to be close to you for good effect (Flaring Nova, Destroyers).

By contrast, Fiery Ember targets and hits every nearby enemy at once, over and over again. With a little +CA Range on gear, it even hits things offscreen. Throw one of these Combat Arts in a combo with Charged Grid and watch everything be destroyed.

And the real icing on the cake that makes these two TG spells supreme is the fire/ice "sensitivity" modifier, that no other offensive spells have. It works like reverse damage mitigation. Even heavily fire-armored enemies will sizzle and pop when faced with Fiery Ember. Even enemies with high fire migitation are vulnerable.

As the final coup de grace they also act like mini-buffs which enhance fire/ice damage of other Combat Arts, like Furious Emblazer or Amplifying Discharge. Just amazing synergy between many of the TG's spells.

Great writeup

I feel like linking to that from the Wiki in this Ca's page from *notes* section

• Like! 1

To me the true king of Area of Effect is the Temple Guardian with Icy Evanescence or Fiery Ember.

Even the mighty Blazing Tempest has its limitations. It can't go through obstacles like stones or plants, or bridges. It takes time to spread. Fire-armored enemies can resist it. Clustering Maelstrom is mighty, but only if there are tons of enemies. No good against a lone boss. Many of the others are good but require targeting (Radiant Pillar, Enegy Blaze) or require enemies to be close to you for good effect (Flaring Nova, Destroyers).

By contrast, Fiery Ember targets and hits every nearby enemy at once, over and over again. With a little +CA Range on gear, it even hits things offscreen. Throw one of these Combat Arts in a combo with Charged Grid and watch everything be destroyed.

And the real icing on the cake that makes these two TG spells supreme is the fire/ice "sensitivity" modifier, that no other offensive spells have. It works like reverse damage mitigation. Even heavily fire-armored enemies will sizzle and pop when faced with Fiery Ember. Even enemies with high fire migitation are vulnerable.

As the final coup de grace they also act like mini-buffs which enhance fire/ice damage of other Combat Arts, like Furious Emblazer or Amplifying Discharge. Just amazing synergy between many of the TG's spells.

Interesting ... honestly I have always underestimated the aspect "source warden", my only Temple Guardian build uses only "devout guardian" aspect...

I never build TG using the other two aspects ... I have always found ineffective and too difficult to handle..

• Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

No one for Glacial Thorns ?
It's just totally insane. But it's power is in the fact that it can be use on single-target boss killer as well as Area of Effect for killing all Kobold around.

But Yeah, I don't think in pure damage it's the number one.

On Raging Nimbus, between the fact that it block view under it (thx Flix for the more transparent texture) and its targetting weiderness, it's a little deceiving spell to use.

• Like! 1