A new Start

So I just wanted to share my experience thus far, replaying Sacred 2 for the billionth time;

I started with the CM patch, this time leaving my closed HC chars in place.

I swore to not twink, mule, or have bargaining (as in imo its the horse that broke the camels back. Most OP skill bar none).

Anyway, I think I finally found where the true fun in Sacred 2 is.

Having no bargaining, as it is the main culprit, I found the game refreshingly challenging.

I've been doing story mode, and am in the human lands thus far, having done around 300 or so quests, and am having probably some of the most fun I've ever had in sacred 1 or 2.

The cause I think was doing away with bargaining. Having nothing, and just going for quest after quest, not shying from any bosses in the path, etc has been a blast. I had like a good half-hour fight with the griffon, and one heck of a battle with the werewolf. The game is seeming so much more full-filling than when I was on closed net, tweaking the ever lovin' bejesus out of my chars, having the best stuff in everything etc.

The main loss I've noticed again is bargaining. I never truly understood how ridiculously powerful it actually was until I have done like now, and played totally without.

The char is at level 40 thus far, and on closed net I'm sure I've had stronger level 20's.

Anyway, just wanted to share that I am once again lost in Ancaria, and so far it's proving to be the most enjoyable time yet.

If any would like to try, it's I guess like an 'iron man' challenge; no twink, no bargaining, go.

Cheers,

I have been having a similar experience myself, no mules for gear or bargaining for items, just kill and quest and use what drops. I did breakdown and use a niobium level blacksmith for blacksmith damage and armor. :) glad you having a good time on "the patch".

cheers

Nice story/post Rooster... it makes me appreciate the game that much more, when I see that it is balanced in almost every way - that even very experienced players can revisit the game and still have a truckload of fun!

I remember trying this challenge on console a few hundred times... don't think I got thru Gold difficulty before dying at some point (console-style "hardcore") - best of luck with the higher difficulties!

Great hearing you're back r00. I have a sweet idea for a new build too, and was hoping to start it some time this week... more of a challenge than anything... if peeps like the suggestion, maybe we'll get a string of interested players along this vector

:)

gogo

I came at this from the opposite direction and played the game with no mules, bargaining or tweeking and I thoroughly enjoyed my gaming. However once I started using the 'convenience' and 'helpful aids', a lot of the enjoyment drained away until eventually I wasn't enjoying it anywhere near as much and gave up playing. I am starting to make a comeback and trying to avoid all that stuff and just play the game straight to try and find that enjoyment that I lost by 'corrupting' the gameplay.

I've always never used Bargaining or even Enhanced Perception/Magic Find (unless I'm doing a specific build or project). Mostly because I'm too lazy and don't have the patience to shop. Heck, half the time my sockets are empty or some of my armor is 20+ levels below my toon. To me there is something inherently challenging to playing a flawed or under-equipped character :)

To have a character 'live off the land' as I call it is a lot more fun for me. I'd rather actually play then shop any day of the year.

I certainly don't regret any of the min/max ideas and tricks that we discovered in Closed Net. The mules, bargainers and speed camps were a great deal of fun. But I think I am finding that, just like others here have posted, there is a unique challenge to playing "Au Natural". And it is bringing the fun back into playing. I think there was a bit of a movement in the GSF community for just this type of play style. Although, in the end there is no single method of play or challenge that is "better" imo. Sacred 2 is so cool in that it is flexible enough to allow so many different play styles to exist and sustain us.

I certainly don't regret any of the min/max ideas and tricks that we discovered in Closed Net. The mules, bargainers and speed camps were a great deal of fun. But I think I am finding that, just like others here have posted, there is a unique challenge to playing "Au Natural". And it is bringing the fun back into playing. I think there was a bit of a movement in the GSF community for just this type of play style. Although, in the end there is no single method of play or challenge that is "better" imo. Sacred 2 is so cool in that it is flexible enough to allow so many different play styles to exist and sustain us.

Good post

As we are the world's biggest site for Sacred 2, all the avenues of play have to be explored.

We can't decide to play just our own style and serve vegetarian food when most of the world eats both meat and vegetables right? :chef:

Because of our commitment to documentation and the WIki, everything has to be covered for the information to be complete. It's interesting how the game's discovery now progresses, I'm also thinking like Loco and and am interested in limits that we would not have had time to cover before because of clan and interest.

gogo

Mixed feelings:

Characters like Kungfu-Dryads are not playable with perfect optimized equipment.

But with 2 years playing there are now so many mules filled that finding good stuff doesn't give this kick anymore.

Personally I find most fun nowadays in trying to play crazy ideas and trying to understand the game mechanics, so keeping the full chests and hoping to get the finding new stuff kick from the new items in the CM-patch.

Personally I find most fun nowadays in trying to play crazy ideas and trying to understand the game mechanics,

I'm all for the crazy ideas as well. We could undertake ironman competitions, where contestants go naked for the levels with only what they find to be put upon their bodies.

I know Clan DA was running events like that near the end of original sacred, and it was fun.

gogo

So I just wanted to share my experience thus far, replaying Sacred 2 for the billionth time;

I started with the CM patch, this time leaving my closed HC chars in place.

I swore to not twink, mule, or have bargaining (as in imo its the horse that broke the camels back. Most OP skill bar none).

Anyway, I think I finally found where the true fun in Sacred 2 is.

Having no bargaining, as it is the main culprit, I found the game refreshingly challenging.

I've been doing story mode, and am in the human lands thus far, having done around 300 or so quests, and am having probably some of the most fun I've ever had in sacred 1 or 2.

The cause I think was doing away with bargaining. Having nothing, and just going for quest after quest, not shying from any bosses in the path, etc has been a blast. I had like a good half-hour fight with the griffon, and one heck of a battle with the werewolf. The game is seeming so much more full-filling than when I was on closed net, tweaking the ever lovin' bejesus out of my chars, having the best stuff in everything etc.

The main loss I've noticed again is bargaining. I never truly understood how ridiculously powerful it actually was until I have done like now, and played totally without.

The char is at level 40 thus far, and on closed net I'm sure I've had stronger level 20's.

Anyway, just wanted to share that I am once again lost in Ancaria, and so far it's proving to be the most enjoyable time yet.

If any would like to try, it's I guess like an 'iron man' challenge; no twink, no bargaining, go.

Cheers,

You've have laid the point of why I don't go multiplayer.

Ya know, when you you've lived off the land, and the item drop god smiled on you and dropped a coupla decent pieces on you, and you're rolling with happy thoughts for the days of work you've put in...

And then some dude with godly tweaked or punked equipment rolls behind you when you're doing a boss and makes you dead, cause you can't get away fast enough. Then steals your drops you worked for, or pulls some tweak to grab your stuff.

My oldest son pulls that some times on some of his games, and I refuse to play with him because of it.

It's different if you challenge and accept the challenge of peops if you do that stuff. If it's done fairly, no sweat.

That's happened to me sooo many times I am to the point almost of uninterested in multiplayer. Honest.

Personally I find most fun nowadays in trying to play crazy ideas and trying to understand the game mechanics,

I'm all for the crazy ideas as well. We could undertake ironman competitions, where contestants go naked for the levels with only what they find to be put upon their bodies.

I know Clan DA was running events like that near the end of original sacred, and it was fun.

gogo

I was one of those nut birds who ran a barb in D2 naked. With weapons only. That was a challenge.

I was looking through the wiki and pondering quite a bit, but I don't think it'd be possible with sacred 2.

Or would it?

It's different if you challenge and accept the challenge of peops if you do that stuff. If it's done fairly, no sweat.

Yes. MP for Sacred 2 was stellar for so many of us here for about two years. We were able to keep this forum and Wiki going with the enthusiasm of Multi Player energy which translated well into post. MP Events like the Kamikazes, player guides, all osmosifying (oooh, that a word o_O) into questions and exploration for this game's mechanics which keeps interest in this game strong even today.

Sacred 2 is pretty unique, it's one of the longest standing played games in console history and this game, being two years old now, has a pretty busy forum and one of the largest independent game wiki's in the world.

I never got to play Diablo, so never really encountered a lot of the negative multi player experiences mentioned.

gogo

Yes. MP for Sacred 2 was stellar for so many of us here for about two years. We were able to keep this forum and Wiki going with the enthusiasm of Multi Player energy which translated well into post. MP Events like the Kamikazes, player guides, all osmosifying (oooh, that a word o_O) into questions and exploration for this game's mechanics which keeps interest in this game strong even today.

Sacred 2 is pretty unique, it's one of the longest standing played games in console history and this game, being two years old now, has a pretty busy forum and one of the largest independent game wiki's in the world.

I never got to play Diablo, so never really encountered a lot of the negative multi player experiences mentioned.

gogo

Yepper, this'n seems a lot diff to me.

The closed net doesn't have a lotta negative stuff on it then?

I lurk on the Dark Forum (the part I can see) and I haven't seen it there. Also haven't seen a lotta 'don't run this, but here's a download for a bot' or 'How to get 32456 for all skills on closed.net' kinda threads for it.

The closed net doesn't have a lotta negative stuff on it then?

I lurk on the Dark Forum (the part I can see) and I haven't seen it there. Also haven't seen a lotta 'don't run this, but here's a download for a bot' or 'How to get 32456 for all skills on closed.net' kinda threads for it.

And you won't find those here either

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick pop in on this one. I'm a relatively new player and I'm seeing myself falling into this same pit. I tend to do this with all games; I need this faster, that better, etc...but this game is so much better than the numbers (and oh man, I LOVE the number calculations this game has...last one like this that you could do calculations on before playing that I played was Monster Hunter)

I think I'm going to avoid all the utility type class builds. I would hate to ruin such an awesome game, especially since I never had this issue with the first Sacred. Mind you I like the information here, and on the wiki. Understanding the mechanics of the game better is always great, especially since this series does a horrible job explaining it, and sometimes bugs exist in which some things just don't work...sort of like you have to be on this site and the wiki to play haha.

Either way, this was a really cool post to read, and has relaxed my idea for the game. I love a challenge, and don't want the game to be boring. I love to discover, read, etc on the world and quests, but so far after digesting all the info on this place, all I've been thinking on is how much stamina I would need at level 60 to bring down regens for an aspect I didn't pump into the focus for...not really knowing why I went and killed some monster at a temple in the forest or what this underground machine plant actually is :(

Thanks OP, and thanks for the other posters. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of others that would feel better after reading this thread :)

Well bargaining is known to break the game in a way :D With high enough bargaining and a few hours invested into shopping you will have gear that will make sets and uniques look like cheap ripoffs :D

Usually I avoid using it, unless I play a HC toon, or a build that takes long time to mature, going with a LF or SW TG can be a royal pain without it :D

I remember one time few years ago when I first started playing Sacred 2, I had a level 68 BFG seraphim, and decided to equip her with one of the bargaining/blacksmith toons my friend had made...After about 1 hour of bargaining she was running trough plat without so much as a scratch and no boss lasted longer than a few seconds...I got bored and rerolled a TG :D

Really? wow...not good. I just made a High Elf today to shop too...lol. Maybe I'll go ahead and stay away from it, I've already noticed how stupid the game is gettingwith the gear I'm getting in even silver. I've played her for about three hours since I got her to shop, just got to the area before the nameless bosses are, sort of made it too easy. I didn't think it would continue like this with the sets. It's all good though, maybe I'll just buy some stuff for lower levels and delete her.