What is "erutraiean"?

The word "erutraiean" appears in the logbook entry for the Ice and Blood quest Scouts. I checked dictionary.com, Google, and my real dictionary, but found nothing (well actually, Google returned a dead link but it appeared to be a transcript of the quest logbook).

Any ideas?

Scouts_Logbook.jpg

Edited by lujate

The word "erutraiean" appears in the logbook entry for the Ice and Blood quest Scouts. I checked dictionary.com, Google, and my real dictionary, but found nothing (well actually, Google returned a dead link but it appeared to be a transcript of the quest logbook).

Any ideas?

Scouts_Logbook.jpg

cool question though. I saw this post when it went up last night, and I actually googled the entire sentence, hoping that google would have a "correct" way of spelling the mystery word... alas

:(

gogo

It would appear to be an ancient Ancarian language that's now defunct.

Note to self, learn ancient Ancarian... :biggrin:

Good luck with that. :D

cool question though. I saw this post when it went up last night, and I actually googled the entire sentence, hoping that google would have a "correct" way of spelling the mystery word... alas

:(

gogo

If you did find a link to the phrase - I think it would have likely pointed directly to our own SacredWiki... Where else could it point to?

Besides... I trust Google's power of translation about as far as I can throw their headquarters. As I've mentioned previously, Google's Translator has a serious tendency to fail epically in spectacular ways. How it got "reinforced concrete" out of "release candidate" - I have no clue. The only thing in common they have is the letters at the beginning of each word - R and C.

Edited by wolfie2kX

heh, actually when the post went up last night, the first thing that jumped into my mind was entrarian or entra somethign... Drizzst's nemesis that was almost his equal in swordsmanship from book to book ...from the Dark Elf series...remember?

Drizzt-DoUrden.jpg

Ah, he was a character

:)

gogo

heh, actually when the post went up last night, the first thing that jumped into my mind was entrarian or entra somethign... Drizzst's nemesis that was almost his equal in swordsmanship from book to book ...from the Dark Elf series...remember?

Ah, he was a character

gogo

Er.. No. Never read the series, actually... That's not to say I didn't come across the name previously. Almost 20 yrs ago, back in the day before the internet, online social media was limited to BBS's - some of which had up to 64 phone lines - yes, dial-up 2400 baud connections (BLEAH!)

There was a guy on one such board who went by said handle... And he was quite the jerk actually... We kinda twisted his nick into Drizzle...

Luckily 20 years later internet developed and I am able to have 4800 baud at home. Double the speed in just 20 years.

A marvel of German engineering I'm sure!

Yes I bought 800 metres telephon cable, lightning savety unit, 50 wooden poles from a second hand army shop and spend an afternoon to ram the poles into earth and connect the wire to it a decade ago.

I am still stuck to this which I did 10 years back if it is stormy. At good weather I can use a microwave link from the watchtower of my house to the watchtower of the firefighter building down in valley. There was a reason that I used to play sacred at firefighting building ;)

I am an internet terrorist. I am the opinion that internet should be switched off till I have same internet speed as people in big towns. It is kinda sad when I get letters from the schools from my daughters and I read: 'Your daughter had no homework done for the 3rd time this week' and I answer: she won't do it if it is stormy, no chance to google or access to the school computer at home. And she looses 3 hours a day already with bus and train to reach the school. Good old times with printed homework papers were not the worst in good old times. I remember that I could do all my homeworks in these 3 hours at bus/train. But new generation of teachers is used to internet and not putting in calculation that there are places without, or they are too lazy to do working papers and copy them for every kid. So she is best at maths because the math teacher is old school and giving working papers while the one for politics says: google for it. Which can't be done at bus or if it stormy and the microwave transmitter swings in the storm.

And I am not able to burn whole wiki on DVD at work every second day.

One of the reasons for buying Sacred2 was actually that it could be played without internet in LAN mode.

In my current house, I got about 800 bps on dial-up, so, needless to say, I switched to DSL.

When I see some non-existent word in Sacred, I assume it is either a typo or some real-world reference. In this case, I cannot figure what it would be a typo of, so I am leaning towards it being on purpose.

Interesting. Saw this last night too, but really didn't trust my eyes, sleep-deprived and all. :P

But, I'd vouch that Iliad- referation too. Not really familiar with the quest or the real Iliad, tbh, but that'd be the most logical assumption.

Oh, and Gogo, I take it you were refering to Artemis Entreri? Gotta say, he's one of my fave antagonists, along with Jarlaxle Baenre.

Just in case you're interested, the original (German) version of this phrase is:

"Offizier Galdar scheint mit seinem Alt-Eruträisch am Ende zu sein. Ich soll mit dem Magier sprechen. Vielleicht fällt ihm ja etwas ein."

I never learned German, so I can't say what the word 'Eruträisch' can refer to. I hope chattius has some ideas about it.

Just in case you're interested, the original (German) version of this phrase is:

"Offizier Galdar scheint mit seinem Alt-Eruträisch am Ende zu sein. Ich soll mit dem Magier sprechen. Vielleicht fällt ihm ja etwas ein."

I never learned German, so I can't say what the word 'Eruträisch' can refer to. I hope chattius has some ideas about it.

It's the same as the English, not a German vocabulary word. the -isch ending is the same as English -ian or -ish. It's just a suffix to convert a noun into an adjective.

(With language names, the word "language" is implied after the adjective, for example, "English language", where "English" is an adjective, is shortened to just "English", which is then treated as a noun.

The rest of it is translated as exactly what it says in the English version. (Except it says "I should talk to the mage" instead of "He wants me to....")

Edited by belgarathmth

A very close spelling "Alt Eritreisch" translates as "Old Eritrean". My money is they changed it just a little so it'd be familiar but not real.

Artemis Entreri (I think that's the correct spelling).

Oh, and Gogo, I take it you were refering to Artemis Entreri?

Artemis Entreri (I think that's the correct spelling).

That's the one guys, thanks!

gogo

entreri.jpg