Diablo III - Launching May 15

But who knows if someone's in the shadows pulling the strings eh?

Yeah, maybe the Illuminati are planning to create hundreds of fake D3 accounts & flood the RMAH with duped high end gear... ;)

While many people take issue at Blizzard charging a flat fee per RMAH auction, this is how they'd be charged by their merchant services company (assuming they've not set up their own) for all of the card transactions when people buy stuff through the RMAH. So as long as the total amount per auction that Blizzard charge isn't too far out of line with these card fees, I think it's reasonable of Blizz to do this.

You could use that argument against any form of trading (real money, in-game gold or bartering for other items), or twinking. But I don't think that many people (excepting the "purest" ironman/hardcore players) would say that trading with other players is a "bad"/unfair thing, so why does it matter how someone pays for an item from another player?

Trading with other players is all internal though. Both items and gold were found in the game and stays in the game. When buying it with dollars you trade with something that wasn't from the game obviously.

Whether that is good or bad is a matter of opinion of course.

Anyway, gogo you are right that discussing whether something is a game is meaningless, and my goal of explaining it, was not to figure out if the game is a game (logically it is :P), but why I think it hurts the game to add RMAH => Making it less of what I want in a game, I guess you could say (and thereby less of a game for me).

While many people take issue at Blizzard charging a flat fee per RMAH auction, this is how they'd be charged by their merchant services company (assuming they've not set up their own) for all of the card transactions when people buy stuff through the RMAH.

Since you pay the money into the system before using the AH, each transaction on the AH shouldn't give a card transaction fee. It should all be on Blizzards bank accounts until someone takes their money out of the system again (which got its own fees).

Personally I don't mind them earning endless amounts of money though (the last 15+ years of their games have pretty much earned them the right to that already). I only mind what the effect is on the quality of their games.

For example I wouldn't have minded a monthly subscription as much (obviously I wouldn't be in love with the idea either - it is money after all), something I know lots and lots of people would have hated.

Edited by Shadout

One reason I like the idea of there being an offline option for games (aside from my dubious internet connection) is that it allows you to try things out without facing either embarrassment or munchkins as you do so. That's what I will miss when I get D3 (I still will - I've been waiting long enough to buy it, in the same way I bought Duke Nukem Forever - seems to be let's sucker Steerpike year!).

One reason I like the idea of there being an offline option for games (aside from my dubious internet connection) is that it allows you to try things out without facing either embarrassment or munchkins as you do so. That's what I will miss when I get D3 (I still will - I've been waiting long enough to buy it, in the same way I bought Duke Nukem Forever - seems to be let's sucker Steerpike year!).

I don't think that'll be a problem.

After all, even on battlenet you can start a solo game.(At least, thats what I read on the Blizzard Forums.)

I don't think that'll be a problem.

After all, even on battlenet you can start a solo game.(At least, thats what I read on the Blizzard Forums.)

Sorry to be off topic... Mysternotes, that is an AMAZING sig!

:bounce:

gogo

p.s. Shadout, I'm just so curious as to the role Shiva plays in our lives (chalk that up to my indian blood :P) The re-definition and reconstruction of previous goods fascinates me. If anything, where this goes, the drama of it all, is probably as good entertainment as the game will be itself! :lol:

Llama - Of course there will be an attempt to "control" this market, and this could probably be the subject of another topic entirely... I had heard that there is the possiblity that "farmers" will be hired out to buy and sell all the best stuff in the game, or flood markets at will to control prices... yay / nay?

Steer, I hear you about SP for us giving us some easy moments, a lot of the times I like to try out different builds and experiments by myself. As posted though, I think that there is gong to be some kind of SP, but you just have to be connected online to get into D3 mode?

Spunky, here here with the money grab and goodies coming our way... where will "gaming" go next!

Mysterynotes, lol...I gotta say again, what a wild sig, is that custom made? Someone at work here just saw it too. Props

p.s. Shadout, I'm just so curious as to the role Shiva plays in our lives (chalk that up to my indian blood :P) The re-definition and reconstruction of previous goods fascinates me. If anything, where this goes, the drama of it all, is probably as good entertainment as the game will be itself! :lol:

Say what? :D

I don't think that's what Steerpike meant. In S1 & 2 you can export a character from the Closed servers to SP & try something out (such as putting a few points into a specific skill to se whether it's worth taking), can't do that in D3 now (not that you could do that in D2 either).

Llama - Of course there will be an attempt to "control" this market, and this could probably be the subject of another topic entirely... I had heard that there is the possiblity that "farmers" will be hired out to buy and sell all the best stuff in the game, or flood markets at will to control prices... yay / nay?

I guess it depends on whether you like your conspiracy theories or not mate.

I guess it depends on whether you like your conspiracy theories or not mate.

Let's fix the 1919 World Series

"The conspiracy was the brainchild of White Sox first baseman Arnold "Chick" Gandil and Joseph "Sport" Sullivan, who was a professional gambler of Gandil's acquaintance. New York gangster Arnold Rothstein supplied the major connections needed. The money was supplied by Abe Attell, former featherweight boxing champion, who accepted the offer even though he didn't have the $80,000 that the White Sox wanted.[citation needed]"

:devil:

gogo

p.s.

We're all connected - I heart Huckabees

Non-perceived Causality -The Matrix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_PFZ92dMys&feature=related

Sorry to be off topic... Mysternotes, that is an AMAZING sig!

:bounce:

gogo

Steer, I hear you about SP for us giving us some easy moments, a lot of the times I like to try out different builds and experiments by myself. As posted though, I think that there is gong to be some kind of SP, but you just have to be connected online to get into D3 mode?

Spunky, here here with the money grab and goodies coming our way... where will "gaming" go next!

Mysterynotes, lol...I gotta say again, what a wild sig, is that custom made? Someone at work here just saw it too. Props

Thanks!

Yes, it is a custom made signature.

Have been using it for close to 4 years now I think, so its pretty old though :P

Been reading the blizzard forums, people are still raging over the real money auction house, heh.

Been reading the blizzard forums, people are still raging over the real money auction house, heh.

while at work, I check them out as well, there's a lot of debating going on, I wish I could see how the beta is going, it would be awesome to see what a real player base could/would do with an auction house like this... wonder if they get play money as well?

:D

gogo

Great link Max

I was just reading about that too:

Posted Image

Now for the incentive to put yourself through this challenge of Inferno. Blizzard has said that only the best of the best gear will drop in Inferno. Both statistically and visually, if players want to find the best gear for their characters, they will have to make their way through Inferno multiple times. Along with armor and weapons, other high-end items like top ranked DiabloWiki.com - runestonesrunestones will only drop in Inferno.

With end game finally revealed, and Beta beginning in a "little while" what else could gamescom hold in store for Diablo III. Stay tuned on Saturday when Diablo's two performances and interview are being held for some more possible news.

:)

gogo

Thanks for the links and info. Some very exciting news coming our way.

Whilst I am excited by this latest news about Inferno difficulty, it is a clear indicator that Blizzard do not want solo players or any single player mode. It certainly sounds like you are going to need a very good group of toons to survive/beat Inferno.

Just my thoughts.

Steve. :)

They have claimed that everything in the game will be soloable.

Then again they have claimed a lot of things, only to discard them later on.

Sadly it does sound like the game will be balanced to be easier in a group though.

The inferno mode sounds good on paper, as D2 lacked any real challenge once you was decked out in the finest gear available and was in your late 80's, but if it's required to have a whole group to have any chance I'll say it's utter crap.

Whilst I am excited by this latest news about Inferno difficulty, it is a clear indicator that Blizzard do not want solo players or any single player mode. It certainly sounds like you are going to need a very good group of toons to survive/beat Inferno.

Just my thoughts.

I was reading again now what that guy form Blizzard was saying, and blizzard's line on this seems to be that a persistant online connection is the future, and increases the integrity of the game, creates a true "shared" world that adds to the experience.

SP is perhaps being re-defined?

I think they see it now as "playing solo" but needing a net connection. As net becomes more and more ubiquitous, perhaps this "requirement" becomes less and less an issue?

gogo

Just my thoughts.

I was reading again now what that guy form Blizzard was saying, and blizzard's line on this seems to be that a persistant online connection is the future, and increases the integrity of the game, creates a true "shared" world that adds to the experience.

SP is perhaps being re-defined?

I think they see it now as "playing solo" but needing a net connection, which Blizzards states they will for Diablo 3.

As net becomes more and more ubiquitous, perhaps this "requirement" becomes less and less an issue?

gogo

I get that a lot of people like mp and are happy to play online. But, I'm a little sad myself. It feels that they are forcing us down a oneway street and taking away any options other than what they want you to play.

Whilst I like mp and I have played various online games going back a long way to the original Ultima Online, I have always been happiest playing sp on stand alone machines.

It's not that I don't like mp, and I 100% respect those that play it all the time. The problem for me is that I can't always be online when others want me to be. I work various shifts, and also have to be by the phone incase I get called in at any given minute. This upsets some people and I have had bust-ups with guild members on occasions over these things.............which I find upsetting. It's very well for those who can sit down gaming 24/7, but they don't get it that some of us have to work !

Oh well, enough of my sobbing !

The problem for me is that I can't always be online when others want me to be. I work various shifts, and also have to be by the phone incase I get called in at any given minute.

With net being available more and more in the most remote places and times, perhaps any place where we can find the opportunity to snap open a lap top will come with an "instant-on" net connection?

Google is starting up netbooks, which do all their processing and saving in the cloud... all we have in our hands is nothing more than a basic appliance. I get the feeling that our entire concept of 'computer use" is slowly moving and being transformed.

gogo

The problem for me is that I can't always be online when others want me to be. I work various shifts, and also have to be by the phone incase I get called in at any given minute.

With net being available more and more in the most remote places and times, perhaps any place where we can find the opportunity to snap open a lap top will come with an "instant-on" net connection?

Google is starting up netbooks, which do all their processing and saving in the cloud... all we have in our hands is nothing more than a basic appliance. I get the feeling that our entire concept of 'computer use" is slowly moving and being transformed.

gogo

It sure is on the change my friend. Trouble is, I'm a bit of a dinosaur ! Phone with a camera.........Pffftttt ! Mine can barely make calls, lol !

I think I am rapidly being left eating dust by this fast marching techno advance. I am trailing behind in it's wake and holding on to my old memories..............

I posted somewhere else that they are predicting the end of the computer as we know it and one day we will all be using gadgets 'n' stuff............yikes ! *hides under duvet*

I posted somewhere else that they are predicting the end of the computer as we know it and one day we will all be using gadgets 'n' stuff............yikes ! *hides under duvet*

One of my friends, who is engineer for Cisco, has been awaiting, predicting and begging for the coming of "appliances"

He says that 90 percent of all computer users really only need a fraction of the options that most desktops or classical laptops comes with, and says the need for wholly equipped kitchens is becoming unnecessary, when, in fact, all most of us need is the equivalent of a toaster ^^

And if this brings down our prices for hardware..this becomes interesting?

gogo

I wont be getting D3.

I definately think it will be flooded by AH farmers.

Theres not much personitation of builds.

Theres no singleplayer mode, and I think soloing will be impossible exept easiest difficulty I fear.

Besides I am more interested in Path off exile. The d2 looking game with a twich. Its in closed beta now.

Edited by D-molisher

He says that 90 percent of all computer users really only need a fraction of the options that most desktops or classical laptops comes with, and says the need for wholly equipped kitchens is becoming unnecessary, when, in fact, all most of us need is the equivalent of a toaster ^^

You obviously don't have kids Gogo...

Offline is very useful if you're travelling & don't want to fork out for net access at your hotel/B&B/motel/etc, or if you live out in the sticks & don't have a reliable net connection (do you feel like playing Sacred 2 HC with <2 meg BB Gogo?), or maybe you enjoy modding & want to change the way a game plays.