Diablo III - Launching May 15

It's disappointing, but I don't expect any less. This company has the resources to build game worlds as they should if anyone had money... only release when they're done.

They want to make a LOT of money off this game, which means it's setup has to be as good as that of an mmorpg, but not (quite) one that brings in massive moolah.

:)

gogo

That's a huge changes. lol thought it was a joke release note at first:

All characters have been wiped. Please note that this wipe will also affect gold, achievements, items, followers, and artisans. The Battle.net Balance for all beta participants has been reset to 50 Beta Bucks Core character attributes have been reworked significantly Attack, Defense, and Precision have been removed Dexterity, Intellect, Strength, and Vitality have been added:

Good ole blizzard...never satisfied till it's perfect

:devil:

gogo

Despite loving the first 2 Diablo's, I'll be thinking long and hard before stepping into D3.

Few bit's I've heard that don't appeal, like having to stay online for even sp and having all yer stuff stored on thier servers.

We have to give up our concept of SP. Of believing that things can be done on our own. From now on all gaming shall be overseen by big brother.

Don't fight the future Steve...it bites

:oooo:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just got into the closed Beta..

Only got to play for about 30 minutes tho.

First impression:

I was kinda disappointed the first few minutes.

I mean in this day and age of games its kinda not impressive.

BUT....

I realized I did have fun, and I do like it,

and I'm looking forward to checking it out more.

*smiles*

Kiyeri

Hi Kiyeri, was it the graphics impact that made you feel it wasn't that impressive? Blizzard always builds for middle stream systems, but the game play has always been rock solid.

A lot of games coming out have insane graphics, but it seems like we leave them behind because of game play petering out... hopefully gameplay is again Blzzard's driving force, graphics shouldn't be minimal for me, but at least be fun to be a part of and draw me in.

gogo

One thing that turned me off to Diablo 2 was when I went in search of help on the various fan bulletin boards. Don't get me wrong, those are smart people and many of them helpful. The problem was when I asked how to make a build the response was a link to a sticky of the fishymancer. Every discussion I had of a build of my own design and the problems it faced in terms of progressing through the levels and I was just chastised over and over for not doing the cookie cutter. I suspect there is a difference between diablo 2 and sacred 2. In sacred 2 the level scaling system allows for you to farm a region to get stronger even if your build is quite whimsical. For example it is possible to farm in gold and attain level 75 by which time completing the main quest will be a cakewalk. I also like how sacred is more co-operative. Not in terms of team fighting where sacred 2 is really poor in that the xp is screwed if you team. I mean that in diablo 2 it is a trading/wealth game and people feel pressure to be selfish. Whereas in sacred your shared stash becomes full of old items you do not need which can be given away. Or gold is easy to part with.

So in other words I like easier games thus giving more freedom to build. And I like low stress easier climb to viability; in sacred you do feel your power grow as a joy, but the grindfest is just a slaughter to level rather than getting stuck so often with less fun grinding imo.

yea at first I thought part of it was the graphics, but then I realized its cuz there is fog over it all... its actually not to badly drawn. Very Wow'esque. I'm not a big fan of games that have a stationary camera either.

The game is in Closed Beta, so it's not that surprising to me that there inst extensive help out there. But then I tend to like doing my own thing anyway. People are always telling me why I cant do what I do in games, lol. But as long as its fun and I can do it my way... that's all I care about. Of course when I'm in end game and people count on me I do things that are generally accepted and still have fun.

Looking forward to playing tonight. Ill get to put some more time into it. Ill let ya all kno what I think.

*hugs*

kiy

I have yet to see the 800 pound gorilla addressed. By that I mean the "community" of online players. Since the game is always online, how does that work out well since the D2 regular channels and games are 90% botter or substandard players? I went to SP since I COULD do "players 8" difficulty without having to put up with bad behavior. My current expectations are to do a few runs online in a password protected game alone so that I can finish the game. After that's done, I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to devote to other games.

I'm having fun playing D3.

The Monk and Witch Doctor are my two faves currently.

I do find something comforting in being able to smash so much in the game.

Murphy struck again tho... Beta down for server maintenance and I'm off all day ><.

DaveO

I've only played Solo so far so I can't comment on the Community.

I would think that...

it's probably not much different then Wow's community base(which I'm not a big fan of)

Also, I'm sure we are getting a very small portion of what D3 will ultimately be, or at least that's what I'm hoping. Call me optimistic.

Kiy

PS... still anxiously awaiting S3... hurry UUUUUP and give us news. lol

Well, I finished what I had access to. All I can say is

MOAR PWEEZ

I'll buy it when it comes out.

Kiy

How does that work exactly...you only get x number of levels, but can replay them over and over? Are you guys getting access to the auction mart?

Picked a favorite class yet?

gogo

I read about that. It's certainly going to cut into the potential for ad spam...but there's going to be channels we can make tween us and friends... maybe there is no max on how many people per channel then?

Chrona, thanks for the link to Battle Tag, I'm post the info here, it's interesting:

Introducing BattleTag™

by Blizzard Entertainment

Dec 15, 2011 7:58 PM PST

Introducing BattleTag™

We're pleased to introduce the BattleTag™, a new way for players to identify themselves and communicate on Battle.net® -- and you can get a first taste of what’s in store in the Diablo® III beta test.

A BattleTag is a unified, player-chosen nickname that will identify you across all of Battle.net -- in Blizzard Entertainment games, on our official websites, and in our community forums. Similar to the Real ID system, BattleTags will ultimately give players on Battle.net a new way to manage public profiles, find and chat with friends they've met while playing, form groups, and stay connected across multiple Blizzard games.

While most of these features are coming soon, players who wish to pick a BattleTag now can do so via Battle.net Account Management. Note that BattleTags are not unique, meaning multiple players can choose the same BattleTag. For now, we’ll be testing some basic in-game functionality (including in-game chat and friends list support) in the next patch for the Diablo III beta test. Players are also now able to use a BattleTag when posting on the Diablo III community websites.

In the future, BattleTags will be integrated into other Blizzard games and services such as World of Warcraft® and StarCraft® II (and their related forums and websites), and we look forward to sharing more about all of the ways they’ll help you connect and play in the months ahead. Stay tuned to Blizzard's official community sites for further details.

To learn more about BattleTags, check out the official FAQ below -- or head to the Battle.net website to create yours today.

(Note for Diablo III beta testers: If you have a Diablo III beta license, you’ll be required to create a BattleTag before you can log in to the beta test servers following the release of beta patch 8.)

Battle.net® BattleTag™ FAQ

What is a Battle.net® BattleTag™?

A BattleTag™ is a unified, player-chosen nickname that will identify you across all of Battle.net – in Blizzard Entertainment games, on our websites, and in our community forums. Similar to Real ID, BattleTags will give players on Battle.net a new way to find and chat with friends they’ve met in-game, form friendships, form groups, and stay connected across multiple Blizzard Entertainment games. BattleTags will also provide a new option for displaying public profiles.

When will BattleTags go live?

We will soon begin limited testing of some features and functionality of BattleTags in the Diablo® III beta test, and the feature will be available to Diablo III players at launch. BattleTags will be integrated into other Blizzard games and services such as World of Warcraft® and StarCraft® II at some point in the future, but we don’t have exact rollout plans to share just yet.

Will my BattleTag be unique?

A player’s BattleTag is not unique, so you won’t need to worry about whether your preferred name is available. You can use any name you wish, as long as it adheres to the BattleTag Naming Policy. Only one BattleTag can be associated with each Battle.net account.

If my BattleTag isn’t unique, what makes me uniquely identifiable? How will I know I’m adding the right friend to my friends list?

Each BattleTag is automatically assigned a 4-digit BattleTag code, which combines with your chosen name to create a unique identifier (e.g. AwesomeGnome#3592). Your BattleTag and code are viewable when you log in to the Battle.net website and within the Diablo III beta client, and can be shared with other players who want to add you to their friends list manually. You will also be able to add BattleTags to your friends list within the context of a game (by clicking a person’s BattleTag when he or she sends you a message, for example) without knowing their BattleTag code.

I’m not in the Diablo III beta – can I choose a BattleTag now anyway?

Sure! You can pick your BattleTag now through Battle.net Account Management, regardless of whether you’re participating in the Diablo III beta test. Simply visit the BattleTag creation page to get started. Make sure to choose a handle you will be happy with in the long term and that abides by our Naming Policy, as you will be unable to change your BattleTag once you’ve selected it. We plan to provide a way for players to change their BattleTags in the future, but we don’t have any further details to share just yet.

Where will my BattleTag be seen?

During the Diablo III beta test, your BattleTag will be seen in the Diablo III client (on friends lists and in chat), on the Diablo III forums, and in Battle.net Account Management. In the future, expect it to be displayed in other Blizzard games like StarCraft II and World of Warcraft on friends lists, in chat, or when making posts on their associated forums. We’ll have further details on how and where your BattleTag will be displayed in the future.

When will World of Warcraft and StarCraft II support BattleTags?

Our plan is for all current and future Blizzard games to support BattleTags eventually. However, we don’t have any announcements to make regarding when BattleTags will be integrated into World of Warcraft or StarCraft II at this time.

Do I need to choose my BattleTag now?

You will only be required to create a BattleTag now if you’d like to log in to the Diablo III beta client (beginning with an upcoming patch) or to use a Diablo III-related identity on the Diablo III forums. You will still be able to post on these forums using a World of Warcraft or StarCraft II character name if you wish.

Will I still be able to display my character on my profile or Armory page?

Armory profiles will be unaffected by the introduction of BattleTags. We’ll have more information on how BattleTags will be integrated into existing games in the future.

How will this affect World of Warcraft?

BattleTags will add a new way for you to make friendships and communicate in World of Warcraft. For example, you’ll be able to create cross-game, cross-realm friendships with your BattleTag, similar to the way Real ID works now. We’ll have more details to share closer to the feature’s launch.

Will this affect my existing Real ID friendships?

No. Your Real ID friendships will continue to exist, and all of the features and benefits of Real ID will remain available to you. BattleTags will simply give players another way to connect and communicate across Blizzard games. For example, if two players aren’t Real ID friends but want to stay in touch across Battle.net, they’ll be able to establish a BattleTag-based friendship; in the future, BattleTag friends will have access to many of the communication benefits (such as cross-game chat) currently available to Real ID friends.

Do BattleTags replace Real ID? Can I create new Real ID friendships?

BattleTags are a new feature separate from Real ID. Real ID will continue to work as it always has, and you can continue to create Real ID friendships with people you know in real life.

Will this affect my World of Warcraft or StarCraft II character names in any way?

Your World of Warcraft character names will continue to exist and work as they currently do. We’re still in the process of determining how we will handle StarCraft II character names once BattleTags are integrated into the game.

How does my BattleTag™ work in the Diablo III beta?

Only some BattleTag features will be available during the Diablo III beta test. At first, players will be able to add friends to their friends list using their BattleTags, though new or different features may be available at different times during testing process. We’ll have more information on all of the features of BattleTags in Diablo III with the launch of the game next year.

To add a friend via their BattleTag manually in the Diablo III beta client, simply type their BattleTag and code (e.g. DemonStomper#1537) into the Add a Friend field in the Add Friend interface. This will send the player a BattleTag friend request; if the other player accepts your request, your BattleTags will appear on each other’s friends lists.

gogo

There won't be any open or public channels Just_Cuz_21.gif

Bashiok via Twitter 02-06-2012:

https://twitter.com/...324491994148864

cha%20(18).gifcha%20(18).gifcha%20(18).gifcha%20(18).gifcha%20(18).gifcha%20(18).gifcha%20(18).gifcha%20(18).gifcha%20(18).gifcha%20(18).gifcha%20(18).gifcha%20(18).gif

Public chatchannels will be in Diablo III

Bashiok 02-09-2012

https://us.battle.ne...370?page=11#210

Soooooo... hey everyone. How's it going? Good? Weather ok?Great... so, right... You know how sometimes you say something that's stupidand wrong and then people very reasonably get upset and create a lot of threadsand discussions and demands with some pretty reasonable reasons for the thingyou said wouldn't happen but then it turns out that you're stupid and wrong andthe things you said are completely the opposite of what's actually true?

Yeah. So that happened. Public chat channels will be inDiablo III, barring any catastrophe that requires we remove them, becausethey're already implemented. In fact they'll be in an upcoming beta patch soyou'll get to see and play around with them yourselves.

I'm not sure I can offer any explanation as to theincorrectness of my statements, except that I believed them to be correct whenI made them. I apologize, and I'll strive to not be stupid and wrong in thefuture.

More info on the chat feature, and others, to come in theweeks ahead. Thanks for sticking with it, and me.

Edited by Chrona

That's great news!

I just went to the interview with him posted by Flooxim, and pulled this out of it?

Max players per game. 4 or 8?

*gasp*

really?

:o

gogo

yes, only 4 :(