Why do you post?

Guest gogoblender

I never was much of a poster, even when I ran my own board for Guild Wars. I'd open topics, get them started then let them roll on there own. I have lately begun to see the joy in taking part in the conversations, to meet others and enjoy there company. Mostly I think the humor is what draws me, as I love to laugh(Mainly when no one else is looking) :)

heh, welcome to the FDM Post

ooh, a secret laugher

^^

And I didn't realize how into GW you were. My egress from that game still makes me sad.

:)

gogo

I respond to cleverness, or else make my own (sometimes) feeble efforts at it. Sharing ideas is the main thing.

Besides, "lurker" has such an awful sound to it - I wouldn't ever want to be one. :)

heh, I never really liked the tonal coloration on the word lurker either. I don't think I'd use it as a title either. However, the word still seems to be used ubiquitously when describing silent viewers. I was a lurker on the SIF for about a month before I had the courage to venture a post. And even after I had stuided the forum for what seemed like an enternity before hand, I still had butterflies in my stomach when I hit that submit button.

:tongue:

gogo

p.s. borg, man, you have like the coolest smileys ever!

• 2 weeks later...

hmm, I'm still fairly new to forums, (Still learning this strange thing called rules that tend to get me in trouble!)

But Ive found them to be an addiction now in my search for others like me! In the past few months I can say I've met the most wonderful people who I can say are truly my best friends! now I must make more.... more.. need more... LOL

Its just awesome! :D

Phew. What a question. I need a shrink for this. Help me Tim!!

To save a whole life history, there are a number of reasons why a reasonably sociable person becomes a 'loner'. And living in a foreign village, by choice, reinforces that in a number of ways.

I have been addicted to computer games since 1990, and from time to time I have looked for help in forums (fora? any latin scholars?) and found them both difficult to navigate and unwelcoming.

Then came Sacred! Wow! Easy to understand, sociable, incredible. So I began to communicate. Not easily, mind you because there is both a generation gap (or two or three) and a language problem (not being a HC gamer).

And, such as it is, it became my social life. And now this forum, with a different mix, unbelievably encouraging.

So I post because I can't resist it. Don't have to booze, don't cost anything, 'sympa' environment yet I don't have to sustain a conversation, just a comment here and there as I wish. And a section on food and drink. What more can anyone wish. So, if I can, I post.

Bond, I think you just touched off so many reasons why I love to post as well. And your comment about just having to come in and leave a post here and there without having to feel the rl stress of sustaining a conversation makes posting even that much more inviting. As well, the idea of a conversation spanning many hours or days and breaking down time zones and geographical lattitudes is compelling.

Good post

:o

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Why post?

Seek for information, give information. Share mainly.

I also like to see other ppl point of view, and giving my own. But mostly I like forums for easy getting and giving information. Thats maybe cause I cant express myself that well with words. ;) (or maybe cause I dont know english words for my feelings ;P). I like things to be clear. Mostly... :P.

PS. And Gogo of course :P

Edited by Perq

"But mostly I like forums for easy getting and giving information."

Spot on. Most are not easy, but this one certainly is. :D

• 1 month later...

I post mostly to be helpful to others, but sometimes I just like to see what crazy responses I can get out of things. I also post because if you don't then people will never get to know you...

Also about the SIF.... I've been a member over there for 3 years and I'm still scared to post. I've only made it to like 60 posts... it's too official for me. I use to go daily to keep up with everything, but since I didn't post there hardly ever I gave up...

How did this thread escape me :devil:

Well I post because it I just love the interaction with the other posters, the mystic of keyboard personalities is always a highlight as well.

I want to know what is happening on the other side of the world, to know if what you do, see and feel is the same as what I experience?

As I mainly post while I am at work, it is my little indulgence of escapism from the mundane.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I am new to posting I am constantly scared of saying something completely stupid and yall will find out is my nature. Posting is a way for me to meet everyone and to learn about there personalities and such. I mean we can say we are this and that but we are revealed in the posts we make because that is what enlightens us about one another (if that makes since). I am looking forward to keep posting and keep learning and meeting each of you. Thank you for giving me the chance to post.

It's great to have you here Seductive Vampie! And really don't worry about posting anything you might think is daft...lol I do it all the time, you're home here so we'll all just have a giggle with you....and Funki has a couch for free therapy sessions, if you can prize me off it hehe. Seriously Seductive just be yourself and make yourself really at home here :4rofl:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, what an interesting thread this actually is!

I started posting regularly on the SIF, as most of the members I know here. It was because I wanted to learn about the game, and share my views and ideas with others. All in all, I grew to like the small talk corner more than any other section of the forum, because the game had lost it's appeal to me. When things went awry, and Ogame didn't do it for me anymore either, I kind of drifted away from forum life :)

Now that I've given up my nighttime job, and will be starting in something administrative, I feel I just have to visit my old online friends again (which has also lead to a renewed interest in Ogame again, this time uni 30).

But, like I said, posting in forums is a way of learning about unconventional points of view, and sharing your own thought about certain topics. Well, just be prepared for a somewhat more regular appearance from me ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Dear readers,

somehow I feel myself susprised I did not say anything here. The reason why I post is mostly different every time I do so. Maybe it's to help people, at other times it is because I am bored. Sometiems I feel a bit sentimental, at other times because I need attention or feel lonely. I like to read. Not books, but more what people have to say. Philosophers are great writers although sometimes too complicated for me. I prefer to be subtle than direct. I fear to harm peoples feelings when I speak myself out straight. On a forum I can be honest with myself. But also put up the greatest hoax (scam). I do think I am not alone, no one is unique. The thought to be unique isn't. We are different, yes. Not unique. And no I do not mean DNA wise.

I like to write. Not stories, but things like this and other ways which I can actually think about and which aren't standard. I try to be unique I try to work out differences. it doesn't always happens. I want to try out making a blog or something. I want to be an artist. I post because I believe that other people read it. I post to be heard or to hear someone. My grammar isn't perfect, typo's are unavoidable and still think I don't do bad at both. I also feel different when comparing myself to other people. I haven't encountered anyone yet who agrees with me when I say nobody is unique. I like long walks down the beach, I like to hang with my back into the wind. I do not try to be funny at all. I just happen to be so on occasion.

I hardly speak in RL, I prefer to write things down (how you should see my notebooks) I don't have a great 'family', I have two sisters and a father currently living in this house. My mother lives somewhere else now. It may be due to that I do not like it at home that I post aswell. There are a few things I noticed while being online. The first is, people are way more rude and feel attacked pretty fast. Second is a statement which could come from any book:"Give people a mask and theyw ill show their real self." And anopther is that people will give youa ttention whoever you are and without considering your feelings or what. Despite the good intention, it is really hard to write with feeling. Therefore certain things might be accused wrongly. I hate it when my posts go the wrong way into peoples minds.

Some people will mock me for being honest on a medium such as the internet. Some will find it strange. Other might feel some compassion. It's merely nothing for me to worry since there is always [delete] easy as it is to remove anything.

Sincerely,

Jasper Arts

PS

I also want to know what other people think of me (and this post) and others, it's sometiems hard to say what yout hink of someone other than 'You're a nice guy' or 'Cool' so let yourself go for once and be creative, everyone is creative.

Edited by Sylph

Jasper,

The best way to describe what I think of you is said in a smile...

:sick:

Ok, I know you wanted more detail :) But I think sending hugs to you says far more :)

• 2 weeks later...
There are a few things I noticed while being online. The first is, people are way more rude and feel attacked pretty fast. Second is a statement which could come from any book:"Give people a mask and theyw ill show their real self." And anopther is that people will give youa ttention whoever you are and without considering your feelings or what. Despite the good intention, it is really hard to write with feeling. Therefore certain things might be accused wrongly. I hate it when my posts go the wrong way into peoples minds.

Some people will mock me for being honest on a medium such as the internet. Some will find it strange. Other might feel some compassion. It's merely nothing for me to worry since there is always [delete] easy as it is to remove anything.

Sincerely,

Jasper Arts

PS

I also want to know what other people think of me (and this post) and others, it's sometimes hard to say what yout hink of someone other than 'You're a nice guy' or 'Cool' so let yourself go for once and be creative, everyone is creative.

re: Some people react strongly and inappropriately to how you post things. That is, people are quick to take the wrong idea from what is posted and take offense.

Well. It is easier to interact with the written word than it is to do so in person. A lot of the people on the internet are doing it to reach out to others... as an extension of playing single player computer games. Sort of a natural progression.

Since this is their first real stride to be indepedent and to connect to others, it is full of mistakes and over-reactions...and hasty decisions.

Often people who turn to the 'net for primary social connection are doing so because they have tried in person to do so... and been burned by the people around them... partly, in truth, because they have offended the people they're talking to/interacting with. And they don't know they've done it.

Of course, this isn't everybody on the 'net... and people learn and "get over it". But just think of it.

A lot of heavy internet users are shy people. They put a LOT of time (and effort) into their computer games... if they put that much effort into reading books about human interaction then they'd be exposed to ideas that would help them get along with others and grow a social network...

Another thing I have been told (by a foreigner living in the Netherlands) is that Dutch people tend to be quite blunt. At least in comparison to UK people or people from the U.S. or Canada. (Canadians see themselves as the most polite people on the planet... but I think that honour goes to the Japenese or the Koreans or the Kenyans. (speaking as a Canadian who has been to other countries. I guess most people think they are polite since they are using the rules they learned in their own societies and they live by the rules they learned as kids...so they *must* be polite:)) Blunt people are often considered rude by people who have no additional context.

There. Now I've said enough to hang myself. I'm done now. :bow:

It's been a while since I've come and read these posts. Thanks everyone for sharing so much of what makes y'all tick. It's a very warm read and I've enjoyed my last walk down these stories. I'll soon have to revisit this thread and probably do something re-thinking about the fuel of my posts and my so ardent desire to write interminably. ^^

Wonderful stuff here guys

:thumbsup:

gogo

Honestly I deal with people on a daily basis at work and such and I find people in my town to be rude and arrogant that is why I choose not to interact with them. I also do not have many friends here seeing how every female friend I have had slept with my ex husband or got me into alot of trouble. So, I guess what I am not saying is that I am not shy I just find people around here horrible.

• 4 weeks later...

Ha

I'm the original spammer lol

I used to chat via satellite on a teletype :music: Of course this was back in the early 80's and my 'friends' list happened to be whomever was on duty.

I could talk to military bases all over the world. We'd all only use our initials as a sig. We'd have to be careful as this was still military and it was over a secure network. Was real easy to get in trouble. But when you're on a 12 hour shift and there's nothing to do, well got to keep entertained somehow.

I ended up meeting a few of the rebel posters and just like now. When you finally see a pic of someone you've been chatting with on the forum, it doesn't come close to what you envisioned.

But to the reason I post........hmmmm....

Combination of giving/receiving info and just goofing off I guess lol. Never been a huge poster but been coming out of my shell recently. Had a low post total because my mind is always racing and I end up going off on tangents and never cover what I originally meant to say.