So, as the title indicates, I've just recently started dwelling into deeper and deeper to the world of chiles. You know, those little pods, which can give some extra kick.

And wondered if there's anyone other around into these more or less infernal spices.

Here

IMG_20110519_215046.jpg

, here

IMG_20110519_215100.jpg

and here

IMG_20110519_215108.jpg

are pics of my very humble project. An Ebb & Flood system. Hydroponics to grow these little babies into the great bushes which should yield some nice pods.

In the first picture you can see the species I've selected as first "victims". The largest ones on the background are Champions (capsicum. baccatum). Practically not hot at all, like normal paprikas.

On the front, left side is Aji Cristal, also baccatum. Which is quite hot, but delicious variety. Right side are the two c. Lanceolatums. Wild species, which should be very mild. Hopefully I can make 'em bloom some time in future.

On the last pic is other wild variety, CAP 1144, Pratermissum. Can't say anything about it. But I've seen it bears very beatiful flowers. Hoping to see 'em one day too. ^^

So, any others around interested about these plants along with the hard road of Sacredite? :D

Looks good, Stormwing! What type of light are you using? T4, T8, T12... or maybe the designations are different over there? I have 2-T8 bulbs for germinating seed, but apparently they are not very good for fruiting.

I tried some regular peppers (green), and some Jalapeno (sp?) 3 years ago, but I am not in the "correct" zone for growing those. The biggest fruits I got were a little bigger than my thumb. :(

I got my garlic, and beets into the garden so far. Carrots have sprouted but it has rained here all week, so I'll get those in this weekend (long weekend, woo hoo!) along with some potatoes.

I started germinating my beans (bush and pole-varieties) today... and I will plant some Swiss Chard when the frost dangers have passed (3-4 weeks from today).

Pics will come later, I promise!

Hmm, can't say for sure, but those lights are quite normal fluorescense lights. This one, to be exact. That color temperature (10k Kelvins) should be perfect for growing foliage and also for some harvest later on.

I was lucky to get some seedlings from a friend who has been growing for longer time. Also, noticed a first bud in that Aji Cristal. Some say the first ones should be picked off, as they wouldn't grow as much. But seeing my babies have grown about ~40 centimeters in about a month or so, I'd take there's plenty of juice. :D Which reminds, they get they're boost from a combo of GHE's Flora Micro & Mato combination. Recommended by Finland's most revered chile-guru, Jukka (Fatalii) Kilpinen.

Looking forward seeing your pics, as of now my space in the current condo is a bit lacking, so I can really only concentrate in chiles.

I was lucky to get some seedlings from a friend who has been growing for longer time. Also, noticed a first bud in that Aji Cristal. Some say the first ones should be picked off, as they wouldn't grow as much. But seeing my babies have grown about ~40 centimeters in about a month or so, I'd take there's plenty of juice. :D Which reminds, they get they're boost from a combo of GHE's Flora Micro & Mato combination. Recommended by Finland's most revered chile-guru, Jukka (Fatalii) Kilpinen.

Looking forward seeing your pics, as of now my space in the current condo is a bit lacking, so I can really only concentrate in chiles.

OK.. don't know a whole lot about indoor gardening... I have a couple of acres to work with so I like to "keep it real" so to speak.

Best of luck with your hot little numbers 8) Sounds like you've done your research so now all you need is the patience ;)

Thanks. ^^ Patience I have lots in store. And these lovelies are quite easy to deal with. Just gotta keep on eye for possible vermins. I know few varieties are quite sensitive for mites and such. One reason to stick with the chiles, as these ones are mite-free. :P

Been shuffling around the chileforums here. Most is in Finnish, but there's an international section too, as there are lots o' peeps around the globe. Also, been learning most of the basics from the friend I got the seedlings.

I guess I would have many acres back at parents, but that's over 100km from here, so I'll have to stick with the indoors. Though, I'll put up few picks once I get my backyard in order. Gonna get a few flowers there. Even have some strawberries running around. :P Though I wonder if I'll ever get anything from 'em...

So, as the title indicates, I've just recently started dwelling into deeper and deeper to the world of chiles. You know, those little pods, which can give some extra kick.

And wondered if there's anyone other around into these more or less infernal spices.

Here

IMG_20110519_215046.jpg

, here

IMG_20110519_215100.jpg

and here

IMG_20110519_215108.jpg

are pics of my very humble project. An Ebb & Flood system. Hydroponics to grow these little babies into the great bushes which should yield some nice pods.

In the first picture you can see the species I've selected as first "victims". The largest ones on the background are Champions (capsicum. baccatum). Practically not hot at all, like normal paprikas.

On the front, left side is Aji Cristal, also baccatum. Which is quite hot, but delicious variety. Right side are the two c. Lanceolatums. Wild species, which should be very mild. Hopefully I can make 'em bloom some time in future.

On the last pic is other wild variety, CAP 1144, Pratermissum. Can't say anything about it. But I've seen it bears very beatiful flowers. Hoping to see 'em one day too. ^^

So, any others around interested about these plants along with the hard road of Sacredite? :D

A wonderful topic!

Juha, what a fantastic new hobby, and of my my most important eating passions... spicy! I remember visiting a store that my brother used to hang out at in British Columbia...famous for it's variety of costly bottled chillies and hot sauces. Scoville units...is that what they are called? Everything labled according to heat...from slow simmer to nuclear blast...with the top end of the sauces being nothing less than toxic by the drop.

Is this where your gardening has taken you to! :P I'm actually kind of interested in your pix because just lately Schot has brought home some seeds...just grass (legal stuff!) but it's green, sways in the air currents and looks peaceful. It's about the only thing that can stay alive in our place besides us and the cat, the long list of littered plants left by the way side a tale of travesty :(

I hope you're able to pull out some beauties from this new spicy greenery of yours. Are you planning to bottle some good stuff afterwards, or just use it in cooking?

:)

gogo

Yep, you got that right, Gogo. The heat levels ar indicated using Scoville Heat Uni, SHU for short. Here's more about it. It is indeed interesting where this hobby could take one. Been eating one of the fiercest burgers of all, The Death Burger in Finnish meet. Gotta admit, that surely is once in a lifetime experience. Made me tummy churn whole day long... >_< infernal is the right word to describe it.

So, the usual Tabasco pales in comparison to some sauces made of the dreaded Naga-family. Currently I don't have one as a plant. Just walk to the nearest super market to find the all natural Gourmet Naga cultivated by Fatalii himself.

Oh, and I'd dare to say they're actually quite easy to get around once you get them seeds germinated. I was a bit pessimistic, as I've yet to have any greens around, not counting one lil cactus, which is a hardy individual indeed. :P Noticed that those fluorescent lights are adequate to make 'em grow just well. And when it's steadily warmer I'll take that Praetermissum and some others outside, where they can enjoy some sun. We'll see how the weathers go. There should be a warm weekend, but next week's start might be colder.

And I'd be happy to get some preserved, but time will tell. I chose those varieties, Aji Cristal and Champion cause they should be very prolific. There's actually first bud in that AC. ^^ Pictures will follow as things will change.

@Gogo: an idea for your ideal pet ecospheres- self supporting aquariums. Just place them in a room with light and the animals will happily live for decades: without any feeding, water changing, ...

eco-gallery_01-02.jpg

Already somewthing about my chili attempts here:

post 14 in http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16833

I am using a variant cultivated in austria: Halblanger Vulkan. I am a bit sad!, because my chili is growing nicely in the outside this year. So far 2011 had only 5% of normal rain and we were hottest place in march in europe, beating even the bathing islands in the mediterran.

In normal years we have a climate with lot of rain, cold winds and storms and late arriving spring. So my usual approach for chili is: taking a european variant which hopefully is better fitted for our climate.

We have a well for water and farm animals. So the manure is put in a big pit with bottom and walls made from ramped clay. It looks like a dunghill in a pond without water. So a heavy rain won't wash contains of the manure into the area which supports the well. Rotting manure is producing heat. So I put the pots with the plants on this rotting manure and cover it with a cold frame, hope it is the word for this:

1048_0.jpg

So kinda a special case for me. But I know people who do similiar tricks using bigger compost heaps. My compost heaps are hibernating places for snakes, so I prefer the Mistgrube (manure pit).

Seeing your photos: You seem to adjust the height of the lights to the size of the plants. This spirale growing, too much reflected light from the sides and too fast growing? Perhaps put black paper on the lower part of the box once the plants have a certain size?

In a german chili forum someone is writing that he kept them at only 16 celcius first weeks and he tried to avoid light reflections. So the weren't that fast growing and did more robust stems and roots first. He reports that some variants are really fast growing and that next time he will not try several variants the same time.

Even you can't read german, there are some pictures: http://chiliforum.hot-pain.de/thread-6514-page-4.html

Chattius: Seems like a good solution for the outdoors. Adn about the heat scales; they really vary quite a lot. I'd only place Jalapeno around ~3-4 on the 0-10++ scale. Where the naga and the varieties are 10++

And yep, started to get a little worried about the growth... Those Champions seem to like hydro very much. Time to pinch 'em soon, hoping it would boost branching. I've read about the reflectors from our own chile-forum and guess I should at some point put up with some. Maybe recycled caffee-boxes, or some white/whitish papers or such. Natural light is tad limited there, as they're currently residing in my bedroom. Only late evening light could somewhat shine there.

Should have remembered the polar circle :)

Seems most people doing room-chili in germany prefer 'Bolivian Rainbow': Sharpness 7, short bushy plant, robust and it is decorative. We had a similiar variant called Twilight once.

P24_v chili bolivian rainbow_c.jpg

There is always this question what you exspect from your own chili: Myself I like fresh medium chilis which I can lay on a sour dough bread smeared with butter. The very sharp variants I am not able to grow outdoors and I won't do indoors as long the twins are just 3 and in their search and test age. I made the experience that I can always buy dried chili in every variant, but getting fresh chili in a sharpness which allows to lay a whole bread with dices is something else. So I grow what I can't get easily.

The bac kof the seed back for my chili (often called Pfefferoni rather than Chili in german) reads:

AUST0574_RS.jpg

Place seeds in seed boxes each 2*2 cm. Cover with a thin layer of earth as thick as a seed. Keep not too wet at 25-35Celcius earth temperature. 3-4 weeks after appearing of the plants: place them in single pots and reduce temperature to 18-20Celcius. Do not plant outside as long there is a danger of night frosts.

So the seed seller writes about a not too warm growing phase too.

I'll get a Bolivian too, once the seedlings are a bit bigger. It's prolific and beatiful chili variant. Also, quite hot, when dryed and powdered. Not very tasty but can bring some nice kick.

And is quite compact, if need be, so is well suitable for indoors. On the other hand, I'd like to try Starfish (c. baccatum, once again) I like the general taste and heat of baccas especially. But that's one helluva plant to grow... If let be will grow easily over 3 meters. Only had some powdered Starfish, very nice heat and taste. Though fresh would be ever better. With small hint of apple. Maybe if I had a greenhouse.

Also going to add Lemon drop (bacca again!) Once I get some cuttings from friend. Some really nice edge with a hint of lemon. Yummy.

Once again, I consider myself lucky for not having little ones around. Would be hazardous to my a/v- gear and such. xp

And it seems, that's the default way of germination, have seen similar instructions around.

• 7 months later...

Geez. This one's been hibernating for a while, I'd say. :P I had a rather big drawback way back in summer. Had mites and other pests attacking those chiles. Had to get rid of most of them. Was quite a big disappointment, gotta agree. Still, I guess in the end it was for the better.

Made a complete overhaul of stuff. The once so small Preatermissums now had pods waiting to mature. *le gasp!*

Also, Lanceolatum is having very good time, conquering over the Ebb system. :) Nice flowering and first pod maturing. ^^ I was overjoyed when I saw it. Guess that's kinda achievement.

And for the pics:

20111228_170428.jpg

Maturing pod of Lanceolatum along with the lovely, fairy-dress- like flower.

20111228_170347.jpg

On the left, Aji Cristal I got as a donation from a friend. Collected some pods from it and snipped it down for the winter. I guess I'll take it outside next summer. On the background the bucket of Pimenta de Neyde. Lovely-looking one. Still waiting to get pods from it.

And on the right CAP1144, Pratermissum.

20111123_160329.jpg

Pods from CAP1144

20111228_170317-1.jpg

Bolivian Rainbow, flowers and pods

20111119_152703.jpg

Few pods and flowers from CAP469, Praetermissum. It has more pods now and no flowers, concentrating on maturing pods, I guess.

20111228_170300-1.jpg

Overview. The fluorescent lights cause some interference, but you'll hopefully get the picture. :)

20111228_170309.jpg

Newest addition to family: another Lanceolatum. Cutling from the main bush.

omgod, they're beautiful....like a little world full of life! I'm so jealous, I love chillies, can eat them every day, and my parents are big fans, and used to make all kinds of bottled ones they'd dry out in the sun.

Your project has come back from mite wars with resounding success!

Will you be publishing recipes or cookbook?

:D

gogo

Isn't it beautiful if you live in a country with a language which allows to put a whole recipe in a single word:

Chilliquarkbauernbrot

The translation into english sadly exceeds the file size limits of this forum ;)

Quark is Even mentioned by Tacitus to be eaten by germans 2000 years ago. Below one per cent fat in it, creamy and can be used instead of butter.

If you use a mixer/cutter you can mix chilli, tomato, vegs and quark into a tasty cream or dip. Or you just smear the quark on a bread and lay the fine cuts vegs on the quark bread.

If the used bread is sour dough bread in a farmers tradition it is a Bauernbrot, farmers bread. So a chilli quark dip smeared on a farmers bread....

Potato in skin with quark are another nice and quick recipe.

640px-Speisequark_%28Workshop_Cologne_%2706%29.jpeg

320px-Kartoffeln-quark.jpg

Gogo: Maybe in the future, if ever. I'm not that resourceful. :P

Yep, those setbacks really annoyed me, but luckily I got everything under control and got to keep the most precious ones. Lance, Praes, Neyde. I'll be a lot more careful in next summer, when it's pest time again. :paladin:

Too bad the only ones making yield are the ones which aren't really tasty.. Well, I'll dry what I got from Bolivians and grind it into powder. Small pods, but there's lot of 'em and the plants are liking the Ebb, so I'm sure there's going to be yield all year long. ^^

chattius: I have a slight idea of the quark, looks good, and I'll be sure to give it a try some day.

Quark is also very useful if you have a cold, injured knee, sunburn, ...

Quarkwickel, quark bandages?, or how they are named in english

koenigsQuarkwickel.gif

The milk vinegar bacteria are desinfecting, the condensing water in the quark cools, and casein has some effect, and the linnen sucks up wound liquid when the quark dries like a wick in a candle, ...

When I was a goalkeeper I used up more quark at injuries then I was eating I fear ...

English page how to use quark to fight a cold

http://myjogstyle.com/2011/11/07/quark-poultice-for-cough/

And quark is useful to make hessian hand cheese, german cheese cake, ...

So we have always quark in the house, mainly selfmade. So using quark as a base for a chilli recipe is not far fetched.

• 10 months later...

Whelp. It's been almost a year since last whisper here. :o Though, to be completely honest I've had little too much to deal with to concentrate on these darlings...

And as for an update, the hydro had to go. Didn't have quite the energy to keep it all clean and stuff, so it really started to affect the quality of air... So, it's on hold, at least for now. At least it really taught me to what it takes to have one.

And so, here's what I have left as it is.

20121119_152130.jpg

A lot less than earlier, but I don't really mind. At least it's easier to concentrate on the few ones around. :P

Oh, and that bamboo is nice little addition I got from a dear friend. ^^ It'll be heckuva sure I'm gonna cherish it.

Hopefully it'll also bring me a little more luck, as it's supposed to be a good luck bamboo. xD

• Like! 1

Using automatic passive double bottom watering?

img_0200000B.jpg

Our oldest is now living at a student home and uses her 1*2metre balconry for some fresh vegetables. We bought her double bottom pots with carbon fibres between. So if the plant gets dry and there is still water in the double hull, the water is sucked up by the carbon fibres passivly to water the plants.

She studies arboristic (science about trees) and is more doing practice outdoors at different locations than being in classroom and sleeping at student home. So not always time to water the plants. She plans to use some of our farmland for starting a tree nursery once she has finished university.

Best was: I went creative and claimed the double pots as work material for her studies, so I could reduce my taxes :)

• Like! 1

Whelp. It's been almost a year since last whisper here. :o Though, to be completely honest I've had little too much to deal with to concentrate on these darlings...

And as for an update, the hydro had to go. Didn't have quite the energy to keep it all clean and stuff, so it really started to affect the quality of air... So, it's on hold, at least for now. At least it really taught me to what it takes to have one.

And so, here's what I have left as it is.

20121119_152130.jpg

A lot less than earlier, but I don't really mind. At least it's easier to concentrate on the few ones around. :P

Oh, and that bamboo is nice little addition I got from a dear friend. ^^ It'll be heckuva sure I'm gonna cherish it.

Hopefully it'll also bring me a little more luck, as it's supposed to be a good luck bamboo. xD

Beautiful! I was hoping you'd one day return to this great topic. And even though you're not having as much time as once, it's still a very beautiful corner of your home, with the plantings, light and gorgeous bamboo. Seeing green corners like this in homes is wonderfulyl comforting...think of all that delicious CO2 you get for free!

:)

gogo

chattius: Well, that's certainly one option. I have those couple Preatermissums in passive hydroponics, which works just fine. Only downside is that the plants grow quite thin, whereas in normal soil the stalks are much stronger.

Also, all but two, well three, if we count the bamboo are on pots with water tanks. No fibers but good things to have, if one's away for some time. Doesn't dry up that easily.

Gogo: Thanks. ^^ And it's now quite that I don't have time. More like all stuff happening with family and my own situation sucked me so dry that I didn't have any energy left to keep up with all the plants.

Now, I might finally put something on the backyard next summer, but otherwise I'll stick up with those few. Less hassle, more space. :P

Only downside is, that the hydro kept air tad more moist on winter. Need to come up with an alternative. If the real winter ever comes around.

• Like! 1

I have to admit that my horticultural ability is not that great, but I found a packet of Chilies seeds at a garden centre in the 'Reduced price sale bin. They were only about 40cents, so I bought them, planted them in pots and put them on the kitchen windowsill. They grew to about 30cms high and produced about 20 pods each, some Hungarian Black variety and some Devil's Brew. I have not tried any of the chilies yet but it was an interesting experiment using no equipment except a plant pot.

Edited by podgie_bear

Yep. That's really all it takes, I've noticed. And really isn't the most expensive hobby/experiment/whatever, if it doesn't go out of hands.

I've read few stories of building big greenhouses when interests first spikes. :D

Searched some info of those, Podgie. Seems both are annuum variety, which aren't mostly the most tasty ones. Not counting jalapeño. Though only my humble opinion. And supposedly the Devil's brew should be quite hot. So be prepared for that.

Guess I might want to put up one Hungarian, if only for looks. Reminds me a little of Pimenta de Neyde. Mighty nice looking variety.

I'm thinking of trying again next spring but actually selecting the variety this time. I have to admit peppers are not something I would have thought to grow here in England, I was instead considering growing dwarfed fruit bushes in tubs on my patio.

You do have much more temperate climate altogether than here in Finland though. And few varieties grow on the Andie's snow line, so they are hardy ones indeed.

Only thing that's keeping few possible candidates from overwintering here is the ground frost. Haven't checked out lately though how the refining project's going. Maybe we one day indeed have a hibernating chili from Finland, who knows. :P

Oh, and friend's got at least one lemon tree or something indoors. Gotta keep it small tho, limitide space and all..