Edible RID tags in your lunch

FdmNews

nutrismart-1306740725.jpgRFID tags are already used to trace everything from poker chips to hotel towels, but what if these little pellets were embedded directly within your lunch, providing everything you'd ever wanna know about that ham sandwich you're about to beast? That's the idea behind NutriSmart -- a food tracking system that revolves around edible RFID tags. Developed by Hannes Harms, a design engineering student at the Royal College of Art in London, these little markers would allow consumers to trace the entire supply chain behind every item in their cupboard, while feeding valuable nutritional information to dieters or people with particularly dangerous food allergies. Kodak, as you may recall, came up with a similar idea a few years ago, though Harms' prototype extends beyond the realm of medical monitoring. Properly equipped refrigerators, for example, would be able to alert users whenever their stock's about to expire, simply by scanning the tags. The NutriSmart concept also calls for a smart plate, which Harms describes as an "invisible diet management system." Just put your meal on the plate and an embedded reader will analyze your grub, tell you how many miles it traveled before arriving at your kitchen and transmit all of its history and caloric data to your phone, via Bluetooth. No word yet on what would happen to these tags post-digestion, though our inner 13-year-olds are giggling at the possibilities. Video after the break

View the full article

lol...be funny if they could send footage of their trip through the digestive system back to your phone :)

Just as long as it wasn't the entire trip :sick:

"Spinach, I told you I hate spinach, why you are still doing it?"

"You may have told me, but not the refridgerator, he keeps ordering spinach as soon it is used up"

Eatible RID tags may have there uses. I think that cannibals will find this useful. Scanning a tourist for its stomach stored RID chips allows them to go for healthy low fat tourists first, carefully avoiding fastfood junkies.

4805_cannibal_cartoon.gif

cannibal.gif

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww ...this thread has gone the way of the dark side! :4rofl:

You know...when you think about it..what better way to track humans' habits than through internally?

:oooo:

gogo

Am I the only one with HUGE "big brother" thoughts about this?

The way I see it, these RFID's could be used to track you....

Very bad news, IMO.

That was one of the first scary thoughts that came to mind. Anything small, and almost innocuous like these tags, specially if consumable can change everything about anything we know.

Ultimate overseer ability, Eye in the Sky is now...in the pie

:blink:

gogo

That was one of the first scary thoughts that came to mind. Anything small, and almost innocuous like these tags, specially if consumable can change everything about anything we know.

Ultimate overseer ability, Eye in the Sky is now...in the pie

:blink:

gogo

An Eye in the Pie?

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, now who's getting morbid? :4rofl: