ASUS Eee Pad MeMO comes with glassesless 3D

FdmNews

memo-3d.jpgRemember how we speculated that the final Eee Pad MeMO may come with a 3D display, courtesy of its teaser? Turns out we were right after all, as ASUS' Jonney Shih has just confirmed a glassesless 3D, 1280 x 800 IPS display for this 7-inch Honeycomb slate, which is now dubbed Eee Pad MeMO 3D. We're also told that the accompanying MeMIC Bluetooth headset will be thrown into the box, though we're still waiting on dates and prices. Until then check out the gallery below and hear our first second third impressions in the video after the break.

Gallery: Asus Eee Pad MeMO hands-on at Computex 2011

asuseeepadmemohandsoncomputex1101-1306749949_thumbnail.jpgasuseeepadmemohandsoncomputex1102-1306749952_thumbnail.jpgasuseeepadmemohandsoncomputex1103-1306749954_thumbnail.jpgasuseeepadmemohandsoncomputex1104-1306749957_thumbnail.jpgasuseeepadmemohandsoncomputex1105-1306749959_thumbnail.jpgContinue reading ASUS Eee Pad MeMO to come with glassesless 3D IPS display (update: video!)

ASUS Eee Pad MeMO to come with glassesless 3D IPS display (update: video!)

2cxdslt.jpg

View the full article

Now this is neat!

Anyone know if Apple is planning on bringing three D into their phones or ipods?

:)

gogo

I dont know, they probably wont have it on anything released this year or maybe even next year. But no doubt about it, it will be 'magical and revolutionary" and all that marketing speech steve jobs does so well... :P

I dont know, they probably wont have it on anything released this year or maybe even next year. But no doubt about it, it will be 'magical and revolutionary" and all that marketing speech steve jobs does so well... :P

And they'll make it sound like NO ONE had ever done it before. Yes.. The Apple Reality Distortion Field will be in hyperdrive that day.

lol, so true about his "magical" demonstrations. That's probably the most exciting thing to look for...what Apple will probably do with 3d. They'll definitely have to come up with uses that noone's envisioned as of yet. A hologram!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLx0BCjtxx8

Is the time finally here yet?

The Apple Reality Distortion Field will be in hyperdrive that day.

This is how they'll bring Princess Leia to life!

:cool:

gogo

I hate holograms. When I was 17 we had to form a small 3 people workgroup, read into holograms, and do some for physic classes. Turned out that the theoretical physics were easy, but we couldn't use normal cameras with high resolution film. Had to do the ancient glass plates for the photos and it was more reading into chemics than physics.

A company in my birthtown does 3D-cameras. They are using arrays of lenses to do 3D. A prototyp has 4 lenses in a line, one in developement 16 lenses in an array.

http://www.minox-px.com/

hand_tk2_180px.jpg

I hate holograms. When I was 17 we had to form a small 3 people workgroup, read into holograms, and do some for physic classes. Turned out that the theoretical physics were easy, but we couldn't use normal cameras with high resolution film. Had to do the ancient glass plates for the photos and it was more reading into chemics than physics.

A company in my birthtown does 3D-cameras. They are using arrays of lenses to do 3D. A prototyp has 4 lenses in a line, one in developement 16 lenses in an array.

http://www.minox-px.com/

hand_tk2_180px.jpg

I got to make a few holograms at uni this year in one of my physics labs. Messing around with lasers in a dark room, photographic film and plate and then going and developing the films, I found it to be quite fun, especially when we managed to make two different types of holograms that both worked! The 3rd type wasn't quite so successful...but 2 out of 3 aint bad ;)

Yes, but being 17 and having to do it with just 2 friends was thrilling. Remember it was 25 years ago, no google, not much information about it in books, and if -it was mainly in english which I never had at school ...

We wasted 2 photo-plates to find out that we needed to add anti-vibration to the setup. The school had heavy TANKS rolling around on a nearby garnison. We were using the camera back of a Leica-M series first, using special holographic film. But the light was strayed at the camera opening (or were it the vibrations? we never found out). So we turned to use glass-plates. Experimenting was a lot of fun.

Hmm...well, Im 20 and did it with one partner. Difference being I guess that it is well more understood now, so the table has an air cushion to prevent vibrations, we had lots of info on the basics, roughly where everything had to be, relative laser beam intensities and so on.

We had a doctor thesis to start with. Luckily my 50000 people birthtown had/has dozens of companies doing cameras. microscopes, gun sights and other optical stuff: Leitz (Leica Leitz camera, Leitz Microscopes, binoculars), Zeiss-Hensold (binoculars, gun sights), Minox (binoculars, James Bond spy cameras), Pfeiffer Vaccuum, Hartmann (binoculars), ... So we could ask at these companies for some help. Sadly they were the opinion that giving us optics, camera, films, optical chemicals would be enough and that we should do the researching ourselfs.

Our astromomy club onces asked for lenses to build our own telescope. We got big glass-blocks of high value glass, polish paste and a company owner himself showed us how do make lenses by polishing with just paste and hands and then our club needed more than a year to make the lenses.

Back to the hologram:

We were finally attaching the whole stuff on a heavy basalt stone in a vertical setup. Our theory was that any vibration would move the whole setup in the same way. It did way better results than the normal horizontal setup. The school had no air-cushion tables, but we have a lot of basalt here. So the only problem was placing a stone weighting 1+ tons into the foto-lap of the school :)