Benefits to adding some one to your friend list?

Hi, hope this is the right area to pose this question ?

Are there any benefits to adding some one to your friend list, other than announcing that "this is my friend" ?

What does it actually do, if you'll pardon my ignorance by adding some one to the friend list ?

Cheers,

Steve.

I don't really know a lot about it, but.... I can see your friends if I visit your profile, also there are probably some functions within the PM system.

I'm sure one of our fearless leaders will chime in soon... or at least someone who has more experience playing around in BB's.

I always thought it was an infection caught from Facebook. :sick: Like, "Hey look at me, I got all these friends!", since it isn't obvious what it actually does.

Hey there Podgie mate, how goes it ?

Not a fan of Facebook then ? I can honestly say that I don't know a single person who uses it ! None of my familly, friends or workmates. I think it's massively over played by the media, along with all the other 'social networking' sites like Twatter..........not sure of the correct vowels there ! :whistle:

Steve.

I agree 100% regarding Facebook, but if their claim of 500 million active users is true, we may be on the minority.

The minority suits me just fine...............I ain't no sheep ! ;)

.................Or is it that I'm just not that popular, haha ! :blush:

I like to be in the minority in this, as many other cases too. Facebook just isn't for me.

As Steve said, I ain't no sheep. More likely a lonely wolf. (Like 'em wolves. :P)

About the topic, don't have slightest idea what else could be to reason for that list...

Hi Steve, long time no see! I am afraid that I have been abducted mate, and addicted.

That old reprobate, Bondbug introduced me to "The Lord of the Rings Online" and since it is Free2Play I decided to give it a go and started meeting him in game to play together regularly. Now I can't stop playing it and play with him on the French server, some Russians on another European server and now an Estonian on one of the American servers. I have 10 different characters all with different classes and crafting skills spread over the three servers and am never short of people to take on the multiplayer skirmishes, or invade the higher level dungeons with.

Why don't you come give it a try mate, it is a fantastic game with loads of content, equipment, skills, quests, raids, 4 races, 9 character classes, 10 crafts, 100's of crafting recipes to produce armour, weapons, jewelry, clothes, foods, beers, tobaccos, potion, furniture, paints, dyes, oh and did I mention you can buy and decorate your own personal house in 4 different regions, an Elven Mansion, Human Cabin, Dwarven Hall, or Hobbit Hole? :evil:

I am on there all the time now and if you want to give it a try and meet up, then give me a pm and I will intoduce you to addiction LOTRO. :D

PS. If you do give it a try, PM me as there 30 different servers in operation all the time and you will never find me without arranging it in advance.

Edited by podgie_bear

Hi Steve, long time no see! I am afraid that I have been abducted mate, and addicted.

That old reprobate, Bondbug introduced me to "The Lord of the Rings Online" and since it is Free2Play I decided to give it a go and started meeting him in game to play together regularly. Now I can't stop playing it and play with him on the French server, some Russians on another European server and now an Estonian on one of the American servers. I have 10 different characters all with different classes and crafting skills spread over the three servers and am never short of people to take on the multiplayer skirmishes, or invade the higher level dungeons with.

Why don't you come give it a try mate, it is a fantastic game with loads of content, equipment, skills, quests, raids, 4 races, 9 character classes, 10 crafts, 100's of crafting recipes to produce armour, weapons, jewelry, clothes, foods, beers, tobaccos, potion, furniture, paints, dyes, oh and did I mention you can buy and decorate your own personal house in 4 different regions, an Elven Mansion, Human Cabin, Dwarven Hall, or Hobbit Hole? :evil:

I am on there all the time now and if you want to give it a try and meet up, then give me a pm and I will intoduce you to addiction LOTRO. :D

PS. If you do give it a try, PM me as there 30 different servers in operation all the time and you will never find me without arranging it in advance.

Hey there mate.

I'm glad you have found a good home, lol ! Great that you've found some good folk to play with.

It's very tempting, but I'll have to just dream, atm. I've been so busy with work that gaming ( other than short bursts) is on the backburner for the time being............sadly. Boeing Defence want thier pound of flesh................they actually want me to earn my keep............can you believe the bloody cheek of it :)

Hopefully it'll die down, especially when they realise how useless I am, haha !

If I ever get that kind of time, I will give you a shout, for sure.

You're a good man Podgie, great to have you around.

Steve. :)

I thought it was just basically a contact list.

heh,interesting thread, I enjoyed all these reads. I'm with Lujate here, I think it's just a contact list? But perhaps there are notifications,etc that can be switched on to keep aware?

:)

gogo

That Bondbug! *shakes fist!* :P Podgie, it's really all free? How about all content... is there some content you have to pay for? How does that work

gogo

p.s. Sorry for the double post! :cry:

I thought it was just basically a contact list.

heh,interesting thread, I enjoyed all these reads. I'm with Lujate here, I think it's just a contact list? But perhaps there are notifications,etc that can be switched on to keep aware?

gogo

I guess that makes sense. You can just click on thier profile from your friend list, rather than go searching for them. Kinda like a short cut.

Steve.

Ah, real life. The curse of the gaming class!

Too true mate.

If I ever get those numbers up on the lotto, I'll happily spend the rest of my days just gaming, haha !

Steve...............who is also sorry for double post ! :tomato:

Edited by cider_steve

That Bondbug! *shakes fist!* :P Podgie, it's really all free? How about all content... is there some content you have to pay for? How does that work

gogo

p.s. Sorry for the double post! :cry:

Yes it is all Free2Play. You buy things from the Lotro Game Store with Turbine Tokens which you can purchase as a number of players do, BUT I have purchased all the same items and it hasn't coast me anything, because you can earn those same Turbine tokens ingame by doing certain quests. The only advantage that I can see to buying tokens is that you get them quicker. I suppose it is like in Sacred 2, it takes time to build a character up to level 40 and gain skills, or you could 'cheat' and download a level 40 'blank character' for XX tokens.

It is all a con with the tokens really, for example after completing the first 3 regions of the game world, you need to buy the next region for 795 tokens, but I earned 725 tokens doing quests in those 3 regions with just 1 character and you start with 3 charcters, so why would I need to buy tokens? And since you you can start 3 different characters with the free account and all tokens apply to the account not the character, that is 2175 tokens available in the free content. When I started, I used a throw-away charcter to learn my way around, and it earned tokens, then I deleted it, kept the tokens and started a permanent character and he earned tokens doing the same quests which were added to my account total. If I kept changing character I could do those same quests for ever and earn the same tokens forever, boosting my total available to spend.

What is especially stupid about the whole thing is that with your free account you can have 3 characters questing and earning you tokens, ON EACH SERVER! And there are 30 different servers available to you, 15 American and 15 European, so you can earn 65,250 tokens and if you then delete all your characters and start again, you can earn the tokens again as well as keeping the ones you originally had! All the buyable content put together needs only a fraction of those tokens. So why buy them?

You can buy extra character slots with 595 tokens, extra chest storage space, and a few special skills have to be purchased with the tokens, but I have already bought all of those and it hasn't cost me a penny, and I still have 1000+ tokens to buy 'unnecessary' items, like decorative costumes, special riding animals, unique dyes to change the look of my costumes, etc.

So as far as I can see buying tokens is really for those who haven't got the patience to earn them ingame. There are also some well known cheats that take advantage of free tokens given to new characters that can earn you enough tokens to buy all sorts of goodies (like quadrupling your bag space) which makes things easier for new characters to get started and once you have bought them, they apply to all your charcters on all servers for ever more!

Plus the game world is huge and you can earn more tokens in every new region you 'purchase', so all in all, I can't ever see a need to buy tokens rather than earn them ingame. And it is a fantastic game, sort of like a cross between Oblivion and Sacred 2 (with Schot's camera angles *plug*) and with the players forming their own Guilds (called kinships) and the group raiding and partying.....aaah!

I joined the Inn League and as part of the initiation I had to run to every Inn in the area and drink 6 pints at each all within a time limit. The game recognises the effects of alcohol and by the time I got to the last Inn, my character was staggering all over the road, singing rude songs and with blurred vision. The table in the last Inn seemed to hold 30+ pints instead of six and actually picking up the real ones instead of the illusions was a real challenge. Plus for the next 24 hours (real time), my character suffered all the effects of a hangover!

Sigh, happy days!

Edited by podgie_bear