Shouldn't we never choose Ordeal?

talveolus

Sorry I can't express my meaning clearly because my English bad, but I'll attempt and any advice appreciated.

It's about Seraphim's Radiant Pillar's gold modification, choose between Magnify and Ordeal.

Before gold modification, let's say we need to hit (n) times on a monster to flat it to the ground.

So

(n*1/4) times hit could consume its (1/4) hp,

(n*2/4) times hit could consume its (2/4) hp,

(n*3/4) times hit could consume its (3/4) hp,

(n*4/4) times hit could flat it to the ground.

After we choose Ordeal modification,

(n*1/4) times hit could still consume its (1/4) hp,

(n*2/4) times hit could still consume its (2/4) hp,

(n*3/4) times hit could still consume its (3/4) hp,

and then, things will change, we will not need to hit (n*4/4) times, but (n*3/4)+(n*1/4)/2=(n*3/4)+(n*1/8)=(n*7/8) times to kill it, because when consume the opponent's last (1/4) hp our damage doubled.

But if we had chosen Magnify modification, which has a 1/3 damage boost,

(n*3/4) times hit would already flated it to the ground, because when we applied our first (n*3/4) times hit, damage was magnified to be equal with the same damage brought by (n*3/4)*(1+1/3)=(n*3/4)*(4/3)=n times of originally hit, which already consumed the opponent's whole hp, so the Ordeal has no place to take effect :oooo:

Had I got any mistakes to think this way?

What you have forgotten to take into account here is that ordeal actually increases the deathblow damage threshold as the CA level raises. So yes, at ca level 1, magnify is more effective. But, at higher levels deathblow (Ordeal) works out better. Lets say that the enemy has x health and that pillar does y damage, therefore it takes (with magnify chosen) x/(1.33y) hits to kill the enemy. Conversely, choosing ordeal (with z = the deathblow damage threshold, 25% = 0.25, 50% = 0.5...) it takes: (1-z)*x/y hits to get the opponent to the threshold and then z*x/(2y) hits to kill them from that point forwards for a total of (1-z)*x/y+z*x/(2y) hits to kill them.Anyway, it turns out if you go through the maths, the deathblow ca mod ordeal is more effective when the threshold is 50% or more (I.e. deathblow of 55%). Which, as I currently do not have sacred 2 installed I cannot check the files to determine at what ca level this occurs so Im not sure how realistic it is to expect this level to be reachable, but I assume it would be...

Hi Dragon Brother:

You remind me to eat runes which I hadn't concern about right now because I haven't gotten a high level. So I guess maybe the problem lays at how many enhancements about the threshold could be done by ca level. But even if I could awkwardly communicate English sentences in casual situations I couldn't easily comprehend math in English :Just_Cuz_21: so I will try to read your sentences again and again until really understand :sweating: . Thanks a lot for your genius formula :drinks:

Hi Furian67:

Math is not only awesome but is also killing me :lol:

Or as some of us less gifted mathematically players believe:

Magnify = Big Whacker!

Ordeal = Big Whacker with spike thingies!

WHACK, WHACK, WHACK!

Uggh. Bossman squelched!

:whistle:

Hi podgie_bear:

Nice of you I learned new word "squelch", I knew only "squeeze" before :)

But I never squelched bossmen, I often been chased after by them and survived within heart-beating health points, because I always build very fragile Seraphim, because I deem girls must to be feminine so be easy to bully :4rofl:

Just a joke :)

Ok now I comprehend Dragon Brother's meaning:

(1-z)*(x/y) + Z*(x/(2*y)) < x/(1.33*y)

after go through paper scratch that means z>50%

Thanks for your hints! :lol:

No problem. I should have written that equation down, but thats the answer I got too :) Glad to see you worked it out too.

Because deathblow stacks in a a non linear way I think for z (deathblow threshold) to reach 50% you need radiant pillar at level 150, hard for any seraphim. So probably magnify is a better choice.

Ok now I comprehend Dragon Brother's meaning:

(1-z)*(x/y) + Z*(x/(2*y)) < x/(1.33*y)

after go through paper scratch that means z>50%

Thanks for your hints! :lol:

No problem. I should have written that equation down, but thats the answer I got too :) Glad to see you worked it out too.

Because deathblow stacks in a a non linear way I think for z (deathblow threshold) to reach 50% you need radiant pillar at level 150, hard for any seraphim. So probably magnify is a better choice.

Glad to see we reached consensus at this moment before new found emerge (if any). :drinks:

I thought no one could understand what I say out of my abracadabra use of English :D

Squelched is a good word, but I much prefer Splatt!

Sort of like the sound made by a soft, fragile, feminine Seraphim, being squashed into a puddle of tattered flesh and pool of blood by a very large and heavy Warhammer, being wielded by a strong, muscular Inquisitor on steroids!

Mwuahahahahah! :evil:

signed,

Cute, cuddly little Podgie Bear :blush:

Edited by podgie_bear

Hi Cute, cuddly little Podgie Bear:

splat

squash

puddle

tatter

cuddly

All these 5 words I didn't recognize before, I will use tomorrow's sporadic time (like in metro train :) ) to memorize them ;)

And "steroid" even doesn't exist in my dictionary :lol:

The reason I like my Seraphim build to be soft, fragile, is not noly about easy to bully but also, I could then put more focus on high damage export, this corresponds to the fact that a girl is not only easy to be bullied but also exposes ten times trouble on one if one bullys her :evil:

@ talveolus

Your English was much easier to understand than all the math I just read lol

(p.s. your English is just fine....and welcome to the forums :) )

It's way more complex:

Deathblow will do more than double damage depending on the resistance/damage ratio: 500 damage dealt may do 300 real damage while with deathblow 1000 may do 700.

With 100% halve regeneration time you may be able to spam pillars and more than 1 may be active, so 2 or 3 doing deathblows, ...

I think I did similiar calculations once in GSF and deathblow looked better when full servers and several pillars active.

Well...stupid resistances! I guess its either or then.

Get a bigger whacky stick and beat the resistance out of them til they go squish. Steroids or not, get a big enough whacky-stick and you can goo-puddle anything.