Can you guess what is 7 millimeters?

Just got back from the Doctor's office and will be off from work for a few days. As it turns out I have a kidney stone that is 7 millimeters in size and two more that are almost as big. I will be going back in to see him on Tuesday to see if it has moved at all, if it hasn't I will be having a procedure done to remove it. This stone will be my 8th. Every stone till this one I've had no problems passing but the doc say's he thinks I only have a 20 % chance of passing this one.

Just got back from the Doctor's office and will be off from work for a few days. As it turns out I have a kidney stone that is 7 millimeters in size and two more that are almost as big. I will be going back in to see him on Tuesday to see if it has moved at all, if it hasn't I will be having a procedure done to remove it. This stone will be my 8th. Every stone till this one I've had no problems passing but the doc say's he thinks I only have a 20 % chance of passing this one.

Sorry to hear that and I hope you can get rid of those stones.

So you've suffered with this several times before then. Pardon my ignorance, but how is it that these stones keep developing mate ?

Steve.

So you've suffered with this several times before then. Pardon my ignorance, but how is it that these stones keep developing mate ?

Steve.

Multiple conditions are being met. 1 When I was younger (teens) I had heat stroke as a result I dehydrate very easily. 2 Diet is a contributing factor (but there are some foods I won't give up, just eat less often). 3 Once you've had one you are prone to have more(10% cumulative per year). And other factors as well.

Steve.

Multiple conditions are being met. 1 When I was younger (teens) I had heat stroke as a result I dehydrate very easily. 2 Diet is a contributing factor (but there are some foods I won't give up, just eat less often). 3 Once you've had one you are prone to have more(10% cumulative per year). And other factors as well.

Nightmare.

Is there any way of stopping them ? I have little knowledge on the subject, but can drinking more water help, as it's the kidneys ( forgive me if I'm thinking of the wrong thing)?

I wish you good health mate.

Steve.

Nightmare.

Is there any way of stopping them ? I have little knowledge on the subject, but can drinking more water help, as it's the kidneys ( forgive me if I'm thinking of the wrong thing)?

Steve.

Increasing the amount of water is just part of it. It does depend on the chemical make-up of them, some are water soluble, some you need medication, but all can be controlled by diet.

Yeeks...this sounds painful! I'm curious about this condition though...if you were absolutely to control your food... are you guaranteed that you will have no stones?

:)

gogo

Nightmare.

Steve.

Increasing the amount of water is just part of it. It does depend on the chemical make-up of them, some are water soluble, some you need medication, but all can be controlled by diet.

They are all controlled by the one true diet............that has a ring to it !

Sorry, I shouldn't joke, it must be miserable having this.

Hope you can find a way to stop them coming back.

Steve.

Kidney stones...my dads had a few of them and had no fun at all passing them. I can't imagine a 7mm is going to tickle on the way out either...

Hopefully they can break it up/dissolve it via medication or something.

Yeeks...this sounds painful! I'm curious about this condition though...if you were absolutely to control your food... are you guaranteed that you will have no stones?

:)

gogo

It is painful. Unfortunately once you have had them there is no way to be 100% rid of them. You can only reduce the frequency at which they happen. And to give you an idea as to the level of pain. I have a relative who has given birth 6 times and has had one kidney stone, if given the option she would give birth again over another kidney stone. And jokingly a kidney stone is sometimes referred to as a baby by urologists. So at the moment I have triplets.

• 2 years later...

Re: Kidney Stones. I know two people who had them (one had a recurrence).

The one without recurrence was a 60-something year old man. His source: strawberries. His kidneys had calcified with some chemical found in strawberries only. He had eaten strawberry jam on toast every day of his life. The toxin that got him was found only in strawberries. So: a good reason to vary your diet.

The other fellow was told to stay away from carbonated (soft drinks aka soda) beverages. He loves drinking coca cola. He also has a very high fat diet with minimal fibre. He hates drinking water, and is taking medication to bring his blood pressure down... This is the one with recurrence.

This last time the doctor said that there were several different kinds of kidney stones and the key was to know which ones you were prone to. He's not allowed to eat spinach, strawberries, and I think bacon. (But he does have the last two on a weekly basis... so, is set up to have them again.)

• Like! 1

zomgod, lol...Frosty really...what a seriously evil, and awful topic here...I'm reliving the pain and anguish ^^

! I feel me bowels and internal viscera groaning now in aprehension of future horrors from strawberries!

I do know friends that have had to pass kidney stones...ghastly!

:oooo:

gogo

p.s. no bacon? forget it! :viking: And I didn't know that these stones can come from such a bad diet... I don't drink any carbonation stuff..but what about club soda...is that now evol?