Windows 7 balance.txt changes not working...

Ok, I was using x2 on MP_experience, just to speed up the grind, I don't have thousands of hours to build all of my characters up, but when I tried to up the droprate, nothing happened.

I made the rune drop change to make them all match the hero. But I've replaced the balance.txt file with the original, and still I'm getting all runes dropped on any character match the current hero.

My current balance.txt has the following line changes from the original, and that's it.

MP_experience = {8000,9200,10600,12400,14600},

so basically that's a x8 change.

I then created a brand new inquisitor and killed the two guys outside the tavern. 26xp each! Holy Hannah!? What more basic could I do?

I am seriously missing something. But WHAT am I missing? Is it possible that my balance.txt file is corrupt and it's falling back on a default one that's not obvious? If that was true, wouldn't it mean that the rune drop rate would default to 40% for my hero? All characters are defaulting to 100% of runes are for the hero. Is there a copy in temp storage somewhere? What I just did removes the idea that there's something to do with an existing save file, this is a brand new character.

I'm on Windows 7, I'm using emacs to edit, the only oddity is that the new "Owner" of the files is my user, not the Administrator user which it was installed under. Even so, how is it getting the change to rune drop rates (from old state, even on new characters)?

Ok, I was using x2 on MP_experience, just to speed up the grind, I don't have thousands of hours to build all of my characters up, but when I tried to up the droprate, nothing happened.

I made the rune drop change to make them all match the hero. But I've replaced the balance.txt file with the original, and still I'm getting all runes dropped on any character match the current hero.

My current balance.txt has the following line changes from the original, and that's it.

MP_experience = {8000,9200,10600,12400,14600},

so basically that's a x8 change.

I then created a brand new inquisitor and killed the two guys outside the tavern. 26xp each! Holy Hannah!? What more basic could I do?

I am seriously missing something. But WHAT am I missing? Is it possible that my balance.txt file is corrupt and it's falling back on a default one that's not obvious? If that was true, wouldn't it mean that the rune drop rate would default to 40% for my hero? All characters are defaulting to 100% of runes are for the hero. Is there a copy in temp storage somewhere? What I just did removes the idea that there's something to do with an existing save file, this is a brand new character.

I'm on Windows 7, I'm using emacs to edit, the only oddity is that the new "Owner" of the files is my user, not the Administrator user which it was installed under. Even so, how is it getting the change to rune drop rates (from old state, even on new characters)?

Ok, what I was missing, and I need to figure this out, is that my version of the file, wasn't the one being executed by the server. When I started using emacs, it was able to write there, but it didn't actually write there....

So I switched to running emacs in Administrator mode and I see the last version I changed with Notepad.

What makes me irate is that windows 7 is lying to me. It's telling me that I have a different version of the file. I don't mind being told NO, I can fix NO! But don't say, ok nice job, looks good, and then ignore my change when I run the application. That makes me mad as hell!

So of course now I'm running emacs in Administrator mode and I'm using AutoHotKey to remap capslock to ctrl and emacs in administrator mode can't see it... Nor for that matter does Sacred 2, which means that the change I made to run as Windows XP Service Pack 2, is forcing Sacred to Administrator mode, even though I'm not asking it to... Again, screw you windows 7, tell me what you're doing and be obvious about it.

Heh... sounds like the fun I had figuring out why the changes I made in the config file for Sacred 1 weren't working. (ie default skills = 0)

I was right-clicking on the Sacred shortcut and "opening file location". Then I changed config file and no changes were made in-game.

One day, weeks later, I was messing around with my hero saves and I saw there was a config file in my "user" file. Changing that config did effect my toons' starting skills.