I guess you could take Cleansing Brilliance, but it would be unmodded. Even modded, I think it is waste, although others would disagree. Unmodded though, most would agree, why bother?
You are most correct about it not being of any help if you were not going to mod it, but modded this buff can be a real powerhouse, both offensively and defensively. Let's examine the mods
* Distract - Reduces opponents' attack speed within the area of effect. (20% + 0.2% per CA level decrease)
* Blind - Reduces opponents' defense values within the area of effect. (65 + 1 per CA level decrease)
Distract is clearly the better mod, and acts as a defensive skills by slowing down the incoming damage. Blind seems very helpful in the early levels, but it does not scale well with CA level very well at all.
* Purify - Increases damage against undead creatures. (66.7% increase)
* Cleanse - Increases fire damage against T-mutations. (66.7% increase)
These two are pretty self explanatory, adding damage against respective enemies. There are far more Undead enemies throughout the game than T-Mutants, so Purify is the better choice. With this mod, you can drop champs in the swamps with one pulse. Very impressive
* Eagerness - Increase damage per second. (50% increase in hits per second => 50% increased damage per second)
* Illuminate - Increase the area of effect. (26.7% increase)
Tough decision here. Eagerness really pumps up the damage, and will really knock out those undead even faster, which is very awesome to see them go flying all over the place as you simply walk by. Illuminate increases the area of effect, which is also very important due to the limited range on the buff. I tend to pick Eagerness to add so extra damage when I go Xping in the swamps, and hope that the skellies are aggravated enough to come to me