The Thing 2011 !

Sirius

Remember John Carpenter's The Thing from 1982?

Or the original one, The thing from another world?

Well, they just made a new one that is to be released this year.

But this one is supposed to be a prequel, not simply a remake.

Half the cast is Norwegian, and featuring some of our finest actors. (almost all of them, haha)

I've added a trailer for the movie.

I have to say, as a huge fan of the '82 movie, I'm looking forward to seing this.

Let's just HOPE that it will not be a mediocre CGI-fest, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI_v0758XhY

Oooh! Guess I need to rewatch the first 20 minutes of the other one. All I remember is the ship had been partially or completely exposed from the ice and the dog was the only survivor.

Oooh! Guess I need to rewatch the first 20 minutes of the other one. All I remember is the ship had been partially or completely exposed from the ice and the dog was the only survivor.

If you're referring to the '82 Carpenter film, it starts with a helicopter with two Norwegian scientists chasing a dog across the ice. (one of the pilots is Carpenter himself)

They land to pursue the dog on foot, shooting violently after it, completely ignoring the Americans watching the whole thing, ending in one of the bystanders getting hit.

This forces one of the Americans to shoot and kill the gunman. (the other one had already killed himself with a grenade).

And yes, I've seen this movie a couple of times to say the least ;)

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard of this.

I am a huge fan of John Carpenters version, but not really of the 1951 original. Some of the scenes in Carpenters are truely awsome.

I'll certainly have to check out that new one.

Cheers,

Steve. :)

Sirius, a friend of mine at work had just mentioned the release of this prequel to me at work, I was so happy to hear about this! John Carpenter's classic... who doesn't shudder when thinking about that classic. I've actually spent this morning youtubing some of great scenes where the monster is running wild, every one of it's incarnations horribly grotesque and frightening. Carpenter didn't throw any punches when filming this, I wish I could have seen it in the theater when it was released, people must have run out screaming!

:oooo:

This is easily in my top three to spend oodles of money on at the cinema for a good seat and some popcorn with.

:)

gogo

This is easily in my top three to spend oodles of money on at the cinema for a good seat and some popcorn with.

I agree. I hope it'll be great.

Would suck if they destroyed the legacy of a great movie with mediocre effort and acting.

Let's just hope.

I'm also looking forward to the new alien film that's coming out around June 2012.

From what I know, it's going to be called "Prometheus", and be directed by good ol' Ridley Scott.

Are we looking at another sci-fi prequel?

I'm also looking forward to the new alien film that's coming out around June 2012.

From what I know, it's going to be called "Prometheus", and be directed by good ol' Ridley Scott.

Are we looking at another sci-fi prequel?

Oh, nice, I'd forgotten about that!

is there any more news or trailer out on that yet? June next year...that's less than a year

gogo

p.s. Sirius I was just looking at the head scene from The Thing 1982 ... :oooo:

p.s. Sirius I was just looking at the head scene from The Thing 1982 ... :oooo:

Oh yeah, when the head just drops off, gets legs and start walking away.

Haha, that's a good scene. Everyone just stands by watching it in horror and confusion before mr Russell decides it's time for a quick incineration.

Priceless.

For a prequel this sure looks like a remake. :whistle:

Except for the one obvious difference, the female member of the team.

John Carpenter's film was an absolute classic. While the scene with the "spider" head was unforgettable I also loved the ending.

The total isolation that Kurt Russell portrayed at the end still haunts me when I think of it.

The trailer looks interesting and it shows promise, but sometimes I think it's best to leave classic movies as just that......classic. ;)

The trailer looks interesting and it shows promise, but sometimes I think it's best to leave classic movies as just that......classic. ;)

I know what you mean.

Still, I really want to see more of the thing, so I'm going to see it for sure.

Like the star wars universe.

There is so much going on there, and I can't get enough of seing what kind of planets and creatures they will come up with next.

While the scene with the "spider" head was unforgettable

You're not wrong, unbelieveable ! I love it when one of the guys looks and says something like " you gotta be kidding me" before they torch it. Can't remember the exact quote, but a great scene.

While the scene with the "spider" head was unforgettable

You're not wrong, unbelieveable ! I love it when one of the guys looks and says something like " you gotta be kidding me" before they torch it. Can't remember the exact quote, but a great scene.

I love that line! Dark sordid humor, terror, horror all married into one single quote. The camera angle during that moment is just amazing...it's facing forward to them, and meanwhile in the background we here that heavy, alien breathing.

If we pay attention to the lefternmost part of the screen, there is it, the head...trying to make a run for it!

Careful before clicking, this is an especially gory scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TevQS4qgE_Q

So much brilliance in this movie

gogo

hahahahahah

that's so random and funny, never seen that before, but good! It's a really long pull on a singular comical moment... brave but well-executed! Kind of reminds me of that movie with one hand of a character's becoming a chainsaw, kind of funny too... DAng what was that!

:oooo:

gogo

• 5 months later...

Did you guys see this yet, I just did. Well..its The Thing...but, I felt like this movie just kinda took all the best parts from the first movie which both surprised and horrified us at the time, and `replayed` it all again for us.

- Sounds of the alien echoing through station

- tendrilous masses quivering shooting up in the air

- Body parts bursting out of strange areas of the human body then walking backwards chasing down station inhabitants...

This movie when it was shot was ground breaking, but we could argue that this movie pays homage or is just copying all the good stuff from the first one cuz they didnt have any better ideas for exploration?

And let s not say this insn't possible... Alien and Aliens set the standard for a perfect set of sci fi movies...heck, even Terminator 1 and 2.

It,s too bad, I guess, I was kinda expecting more

:(

gogo

I haven't seen it yet, but I've read a review.

It said that the movie rushed to reveal the full monster where the old one would conceal it almost completely in darkness and smart camera angles.

After all, it's an alien monster that have to remain hidden until it has cleared the way of most of it's threats.

Also I've heard that it relies on CGI for the most part, which I really don't think is necessary.

Movie makers have been using models for as long as there has been filming going on, and CGI should be used only to add atmospheric details such as fog, smoke and ligthing.

Way too many movies these days are too lazy in terms of special effects.

Still, I'm sure I'm going to buy it when it comes on Blu-ray.

I'd get it too. I'm just such a fan of this kind of sci fi/horror... can never get enough of it, it's the hard stuff in this genre that pulls me in no end.

I'm with on the critique for CGI. I have studied the famous head run scene from the first movie so many times. See, for CGI to be good, someone has to copy and emulate what they have seen...there is zero discovery here...unless the program they are using can actually accidentally cover new ground with where the effect goes?

Studying the head scene, there are moments where viscuous strands are snapping, with fatty globules upon them going twang.

You'd NEVER get this with CGI, I'm sure they were as delighted with the effect when the models were first doing this.

With CGI taking over more and more, we're getting more and more surmise and perfect modeling with how stuff is supposed/going to look... we may never get the twanging strings thing happen again.

Alas

:cry:

gogo