Why can't Inquisitors wear shields?

Ginnosaji

Why inquisitors can't wear shields:) Kinda weird when we see that high elves can...

It was more of a story based decision. Just an attempt to create something different between all of the classes I guess, like only the shadow warrior can use 2h axes/mauls weapons because he's so strong, only dryad can use blowpipes but can't use energy weapons because she loves nature or something and anything else.

It was more of a story based decision. Just an attempt to create something different between all of the classes I guess, like only the shadow warrior can use 2h axes/mauls weapons because he's so strong, only dryad can use blowpipes but can't use energy weapons because she loves nature or something and anything else.

Precisely! I mean after all, the Inquisitor class was designed to have low defense (no shield) due to Purifying Chastisement Buff :whistle:

"Purifying Chastisement Buff"

No, I think it's Soul Reaver. See how high you can get your attack value* and defence value with that one.

It is a roleplaying thing, as mentioned in the manual the Inquisitor sacrifices defence because he's just so keen to get the job done.

* I've not been using it recently, but I think I got a 20th level Inquisitor up to about 1,000 attack value by killing kobolds in Tyr Lysia. That said, the downside is boss fights - you may start off with 1,000 attack value, but that then drops back to your natural value (of about 310 for my level 43 Inquisitor).

"Purifying Chastisement Buff"

No, I think it's Soul Reaver. See how high you can get your attack value* and defence value with that one.

It is a roleplaying thing, as mentioned in the manual the Inquisitor sacrifices defence because he's just so keen to get the job done.

* I've not been using it recently, but I think I got a 20th level Inquisitor up to about 1,000 attack value by killing kobolds in Tyr Lysia. That said, the downside is boss fights - you may start off with 1,000 attack value, but that then drops back to your natural value (of about 310 for my level 43 Inquisitor).

Its possible to get them over 100k ay higher levels :)

Hi, going along with the storyline and fact that inquisitors can't equip shields, does that make equipments that have the 'Block Chance: ____ ' modifier useless for the inquisitor and we should avoid such equipments? I ask also because there is a set item (Bloodrobe of Determined Justice) for inquisitor that have such a mod. Is that an error or can the inquisitor still be able to block certain kinds of attack? Thanks :agreed:

Hi, going along with the storyline and fact that inquisitors can't equip shields, does that make equipments that have the 'Block Chance: ____ ' modifier useless for the inquisitor and we should avoid such equipments?

No

I ask also because there is a set item (Bloodrobe of Determined Justice) for inquisitor that have such a mod. Is that an error or can the inquisitor still be able to block certain kinds of attack?

Yes

The fact that class X cannot use equipment Y doesn't affect the effectiveness of any of the item modifiers (found in your bonus overview). It just means they should use different strategies.

In your example, blocking is not the inquisitor's strong suit. He'd much rather reflect that damage back at the heretics. Or just mitigate it all away... sometimes onto his followers ;)

• 9 years later...
58 minutes ago, dark471 said:

OK, so something changed.   Sorry for necroing this threat, but it seems appropriate, seeing my Inquisitor.. is a necromancer. :wink:

It's accurate that in my mods Enhanced Edition and Diablo 2 Fallen, I enabled the Inquisitor/Necromancer to use shields.

Ah ha!!    Good deal. I never thought about it until my character picked it up and equipped it. My chin almost hit the deck my mouth dropped so much. He's mainly a caster but the shield helps with his defense, so I'm fine with that. He was going to be a duel wielder, but his minions seldom let him get a hit in anyway. Should have dropped his weapon skill and took shield lore. I'm taking it easy with him and trading off with a high elf and a seraphim for a bit of change-up.

Thanks for mentioning that though - I thought maybe my game was hiccupping. :thumbsup: