Mythos.... failed?

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone else to a chance to play this? I will recount my own experiences with Mythos.

It was a cold Friday night down here in Australia, I was jumping from website to website trying to find a new game, as I did most Friday nights. I had decided to check my bookmarks to see if any games I was waiting on at the time had come out yet, and then I saw it..... MYTHOS RELEASE!!

Cut to 5 hours later after the download (QQ download speeds), I opened up the install file with infinite anticipation and thought to myself ("Will this be my Sacred 2 replacement") and with all the glee of a kitty with a ball of yarn I watched the game install.

Cut to 15 minutes later when the game was installed. I started the game with the wide eyed excitement, just as I had done with Sacred 2, year's before. I was going to devote my entire weekend to the game, until I started playing.

The graphics were okay, nothing to special. The game-play was... slugish and un-responsive, a dungeon crawler without a point or purpose, no party match up system before you enter a dungeon.... which is silly for a game like this... why not have a lobby system like a cool kid? 75% of the game is spent in a dungeon. The crafting system was a mess. The skill system was.... 4 suck? I started as the magic class, as I normally do, I was running out of mana ever 10 seconds and my spells were weak, none of the spells seemed to compliment each other and it seemed 1 bad choice would break your build.

I stuck with this game for all of 12 hours (Which I think is fair) before I realized this would never amount to what I think Diablo (1 and 2) started and Sacred 2 took to the next level.

Definitely a hack-n-slash dungeon crawler. I do really enjoy the randomized dungeon floor plans; it's never the same way twice.

I have slowed down as I reached the upper 20's in level. The daily quests help in leveling. But it's still hard to find equipment as the level and quality of merchandise from traders makes no sense. Now I only use gear from drops and that takes grinding, not quick daily quest leveling.

I suppose for me, if I'm gonna waste an hour at the PC w/ the TV on in the background, I'd rather hack-n-slash than play yet another game of Spider Solitaire. :D But if you want complexity and quests, then you're right that it falls far short of Sacred 2.

I played it a lot some time ago when it was first released.

It was fun and I got to join up with our clans guild.

But it was early days and there was a massive problem with the game where once you reached about level 20 the quests were no more and the only way to level up was grind, grind and more grind.

I found that to be totally boring so I gave it a miss and started playing other games.

Even though they have now fixed the need to grind, it's too little too late and I no longer have any interest in the game.

I think a lot of the earlier players feel the same.

Edited by stubbie

I agree with Stubbie and I also think that after the original version vanished down a big black hole, this new version just doesn't have the same flavour. I don't just mean the more 'kiddie' friendly graphics either, there is just something vaguely unsatisfying about this new version after playing the original.

So I moved on and now spend most of my time playing Lord of the Rings online, which is (to my mind) probably one of the best games I have played and free2play at that. I know that it says you can buy all the updates from the game store, but I have done so with tokens earned in the game itself, it hasn't cost me a penny.

I was very excited about the game as well. But as said so well about...it's just too long after the game was originally announced...there's just other stuff out there that I want to spend more time on. And the graphics just don't cut it anymore. It's kind of a sad tale here, so much work and fan support was there, all kinda lost

:(

gogo

• 2 months later...

Wow! I tried to logon the other night after a month or two away... this would explain why I had a password failure (I thought my memory had slipped)!!

I was reflecting last week, trying to figure out why grinding in Sacred 1 and 2 is not nearly so boring as grinding in Mythos was.

And I'm sure the global economy was a major factor. Video games are a "luxury good" and people aren't spending nearly as much on luxuries. So we can blame it partly on Wall Street and Greece.