Purifying Chastisement question

ololcat

As title says, I have a question about one of the most dangerous (both for enemies and character) CAs in the game - Purifying Chastisement.

I can't decide which of second mods to pick: Increased chance for criticals (10% + 0.1% per level) or increasing HP threshold by 10% (up to 35% from 25%) for maximum "Rage".

The problem is that I don't know if that increased threshold also affects "Damage of enraged players" added by gear; can someone confirm this?

And should I choose that mod even if it doesn't work with "rage" from gear? (Purifying Chastisement is going to be main source of that bonus anyway and extra 10+ of crit chance are kinda easy to get.)

Edited by ololcat

Heya, Olocat...

That silver mod choice is one that I never really tested, or thought about testing. The way I concluded was to take the extra criticals for a low-level toon (where 10% is alot), and the 35% threshold if you plan on going past level 75.

As you stated, getting +20% crits from gear is pretty easy after level 100-ish, and you need PC at level 100 to get 20%... making the extra 10% rage threshold the more attractive option, regardless if you use extra "damage of enraged players"(DOEP).

That said, I guess if you wanted to aim at a strategy that revolves around getting a critical 100% of the time (coupled with deathblow, it is a good strategy); then you would obviously want the 10-20% bonus from PC.

If you (or anyone) wanted to confirm if the threshold increase works with DOEP, the best way would be to get a lot of DOEP from gear, and keep your modfied PC @ level 1, so it doesn't add too much to your DOEP... then run around with various health levels, turning PC on and off... if you get different damage with PC on or off, then the DOEP does not benefit from the PC silver modification. If they're the same, then it does!

I'm trying to build a really working WIDD character. I tried to test PC with DOEP from gear on blank level 200 character and now I'm starting to thing that this CA is broken.

Killed some kobolds and noticed something odd: damage wasn't high enough (PC adds 555% of DOEP and Blood Dryads' Sword adds another 273%, so the damage should have been multiplied by 8.73). At first I thought that DOEP from sword overrides PC bonus. So I switched to some generic swords and went to the Big Machine to test it on guardians. When I hit them with that hard hit-style CA while at full health, I usually do 10000-13000 (crit) damage; when my HP are below 35% (actually it was like 10-15%), I hit for 18000-22000 (crit) and it completely doesn't look like +555% (x6.55) damage.

Gonna test only gear DOEP and PC without +10% threshold mod tomorrow.

Sorry for delay, was kinda busy.

Uh-Oh... :unsure: Were you using physical damage? There is a lot of mitigation in Niob, even on Kobolds...

No, there were lava chunks socketed into weapons.

I tested some more and now I'm sure that DOEP (both from gear and PC) isn't broken :)

This mod doesn't work like WIDD did in UW: back in Sacred 1 it was multiplying final damage by WIDD%/100 + 1. But DOEP works rather like other Sacred 2 mod - Damage +%: it adds to final damage amount, calculated from weapon base damage.

A simple example. I've got Seyr's Klinge socketed with Poison Fang. My PC provides 833% of DOEP.

When I hit kobold while at 100% HP, it is 4100-4300 damage (non-crit);

When I hit kobold while at 35-15% HP, it is 9500-10500 damage (non-crit).

Since the damage I did was a bit higher than max dmg, listed in the inventory, for calculations I can take max (or even slightly higher) of base damage of my sword. The dmg listed on the sword is 447-606, and I'm going to use 612 as "base damage".

So, 612 * 9.33 + 4200 = 9909

Or 606 * 9.33 + 4200 = 9854

All these observations and calculations are not very precise, but they show that DOEP is basically a Damage +X%, that hits it's maximum when character is at 25% HP (or 35% in case of Inquisitor with modded PC).

So, it looks like it's best to use a weapon with highest base damage possible for a PC Inquisitor.

Edited by ololcat

I didn't have much time to level and build him from scratch, so he stays at level 19. However, from what I've seen while testing DOEP on blank level 200 character, even though Inquisitor can effectively double his damage using 200 PC runes and buff suit (DOEP can go over 1000% - and don't forget criticals, deathblow, ignore armor as they will boost it even further) with powerful two-handed weapon (like 2h sword or polearm), it's barely worth the risk. But I'm going to level him to see if it's possible to decrease risks (some DM, large HP pool, etc).

PS. A remark: looks like that Inquisitor with two Blood Dryads' Swords is going to do less damage (even with over 500% bonus to DOEP on niob) than two-handers due to less base damage. This, however, will be tested in process along with the effect of this mod on spells.

PPS. And the answer: no. WIDD in UW allowed characters to hit for 500000-1000000 damage by level 35-40 while DOEP barely can double damage (and only on Inquisitor; sad, but it's useless for other characters) :)

Edited by ololcat

Ok... now I see the "much ado about nothing" that is Damage of Enraged Players.

I haven't used WIDD in the first game (yet) but in Fallen Angel I used DOEP enough to say that it works... but was never worth the tradeoff that it comes with.

In FA, it's Deathblow that is the huge damage increaser (ie it multiplies your damage after other damage multipliers were applied), which is what WIDD did in S1/UW.