Angeldust - Can distant item types be connected?

lurked

Hey. First of all, good site you have here. Some posts really helped me for better understanding of Sacred 2 modding. Thanks.

My english clearly isn't good to explain the problem, but I'll try.

Right now, I'm bugged with Seraphim's Angeldust, the skirt part. Basically, last 3 days I play not good old never changing Sacred-kill-most-of-what-you-see-god-will-sort-em, but modding, if someone could call my pity experiments there "modding". Saw thing I don't like - searched forums, changed that thing for what I like, carry on grindan, before I see something I don't like again. Changed Sopor belt model to standart cloth model, textured it for.. well, that's was bad texturing, but it fits(in distance), cause didn't liked(sorry) standart model. And again and again... oh, that's an offtopic.

Well, back to the problem. Resourses stands clear, skirt from angeldust cannot be dropped, is separated from belt, has a bunch of animations, and is connected to the Valljeho-like belt part through some kind of secret holy glue. The "glue" part eludes me so far, something is missing. After a good chunks of black liquid and searching in resourses I found only one possible connection - itemtype indexes(and, perhaps, models themselves). Let's imagine two itemtypes - 1112 and 1113. Let 1112 be skirt, 1113 be belt. When I put skirt itemtype right before belt in script - it magicaly worked, but only in main menu, not ingame(maybe it was just hallucination). Yet, there is Niokaste belt(itemtype:1197) with no skirt itemtype before belt at all!

I can't sleep. Hell, I really hope, I'm building a bike with triangle shaped wheels right now, this problem is solved long time ago and you guys could explain me, how two distant itemtypes can be connected ingame without master statement or so.

If this little bugger was solved by bright minds here, there are endless possibilities to transfer angeldust skirt part... to make some neet Vader-like cloak for inquisitor perhaps, and even rush in some fake physics... for, well, you guys saw that jrpgs, where little girls were wearing enermous swords with long strips on the hilts; logically impossible thing; yet somehow stunning.

Another thing that is bouncing in my mind - what is LogicBox for?

The thing you are looking for is in iteminfo.txt and called an additionaltype like here:

newItemInfo = {

type = 1197,

material = "R_scale_steel",

usability = 0,

invbreite = 2,

invhoehe = 2,

additionaltype = 1151,

}

mgr.itemInfoCreate(newItemInfo);

This however only works if the base model got a bone for the attachment of the skirt.

The logicbox only gives the rough size of the model. (They are coordinates for a minimal sized box surrounding the model completely.)

Edited by czevak

Sorry for late answer.

Many thanks guys, and especially czevak for detailed explanation! I think it's time for me to take a closer look at angeldust belt in editor.

• Like! 1
  • 8 years later...
On 8/22/2011 at 10:36 AM, czevak said:

The thing you are looking for is in iteminfo.txt and called an additionaltype like here:

This however only works if the base model got a bone for the attachment of the skirt.

Ah.  That would explain a few things, then!  I've been experimenting with "poor (wo)man's modelling" by using the alpha-channel to chomp off bits of outfit and additionaltype to glue my two models together.  It works*, once the game's had a chance to get used to the idea, but the start menu isn't happy about it.

* "works" in that whether or not there are longer-term consequences of my meddling remains to be seen.

I wondered why the game is initially confused and doesn't always animate one of the models but hanging them off the same part of the skeleton would explain it if it's only expecting to find one mesh.  But if it's a problem with that, reequipping the item sorts it out, weirdly.

Of course a better solution would be to figure out how to edit GR2 files with Blender, which I suspect isn't going to happen after all these years: if anything RAD have become even less open and more proprietary about the format.  Pity it's so popular with games devs as it's very modder-unfriendly so it's quite frustrating to even find it in games intended to be modded such as the Original Sins.  Norbyte's DOS Extractor can deal with OS's particular version in a slightly roundabout manner but sadly it doesn't support Sacred 2's GR2 files: I read somewhere it's more of a family of formats and there isn't a lot of commonality.  But I digress, as ever.

10 hours ago, vometia said:

Norbyte's DOS Extractor can deal with OS's particular version In a slightly roundabout manner but sadly it doesn't support Sacred 2's GR2 files

His GR2 converter does. v.1.9.0 works sort of best, though some work is still necessary, scaling and bone renaming. Also material assignment is lost. I use Norbyte's v.1.9.0 + Pesmontis's grnreader98 v.2.1. (modified by yours truly). That tool combination has been sufficient, so far.

None of the above allow to properly convert vertex-animated mesh animations, however.

To be honest, the vertex-animation solution in Sacred 2 is an atrocious tech-heresy. Each animation file has ~the same weight as the model itself. Out of 2GB of the original main model file, 1.2GB are inquisitor robe animations. Glad I've spent a month developing the skeleton-animated version, so I could dump that abomination.

• Thanks! 1

Thanks for the tips and links!  Though judging by what you're saying they may not do me much good... even at the best of times I am not a skilled modeller, though occasional bloody-mindedness makes me see if I can achieve the "technically unlikely"!  I think half the reason I modded e.g. Ego Draconis was to prove to myself that it could be done rather than to accomplish anything worthwhile, for instance (actually it's not that hard once you figure out its "everything's a NIF" approach: once that hurdle is overcome it's much the same as modding Oblivion, at least from a texturing and meshing point of view).

And yeah, Norbyte's DOS converter didn't work... so how come I didn't put two-and-two together and think, hmm, he talks GR2, maybe he'll have done other converters? :D