Please complain here if the Forum or Wiki is slow

Hate to say it but still having issues. I can look at several thread and all load quickly and then have a couple in a row that take so long I think I'm going to time out. Haven't really seen anyone else complain so I wonder if it's at my end. But haven't noticed this issue looking at any other website. I'm using Firefox if that makes any difference. I do not like Internet Explorer at all, and wasn't thrilled with Chrome. But if Chrome seems to be working for everyone else I might give it another go. Or maybe there's a setting in Firefox that I'm not aware of that'll speed things up. Willing to try anything anyone suggests.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you say it Knuckles, the forum got a bit slower to load this week. I even got an SQL Server Error earlier today, couldn't read the error number because there was nothing written.

Max

I am afraid we are not out of the woods yet. :sigh:

I had a quest to write up, so I launched FF. This forum and the wiki are my home pages, so it tried (in vain) to load both pages. The forum gave a generic error pointing at SQL Server and the wiki gave a SQL Server error saying the maximum number of connections had been exceeded. I have PDF's of both errors if that would help.

I tried again a little while later and both the forum and the wiki came up. I wrote up my quest writeup, previewed it a couple of times (sans pics) and saved it. That worked fine. Then I started uploading the pics. They were uploading better than when I first complained about the slow-down but not as well as they used to. On one of the last pics, the upload gave me the same max connections error that I had received earlier. I hit the Back button, tried it again and it worked.

At this point, I have only two things remaining. I have to view the quest page with the pics and save the Category page for the pics. Both pages have been loading for some time, and I expect them to time-out eventually.

Edit:

They both timed-out with the same "Error 401 - Authorization Required" message.

Edit:

Left my computer up and went to do the dishes. Came back, tried it again and they both went through.

Edited by lujate

I was away till today, and I'm noticing what you guys are reporting as well, with posts and link retrieval taking much longer.

I'll go over this with Schot, and we'll talk to our hoster about acquiring more resources.

Sorry about this everyone, hopefully we'll have some speed in a few days.

:)

gogo

Not sure if its relevant but I noticed that the forum is a little slow right now. I originally had no problems when I joined this morning, but for some reason its taking a long time to load pages. I don't think its anything on my end since everything else on my browser is working like a charm, but who knows, probably just some little bug.

I've noticed it now as well, just in the last few minutes, looking into this right now. We're also speaking to our hoster about moving to much larger hosting for the boards and the Wiki, so that we can have some more speed for the community.

The Sacred sites have grown up on us quickly during the last while, they need some growth spurt space^^

gogo

We have been "rebalanced"

Whew

Can hardly wait till we get into our new digs

Thanks guys for putting up with all this

:chef:

gogo

Hey, look on the bright side. More lag = more people that you know are using the boards. It's pretty amazing to think that this place is as active as it is, considering its dedicated to a little-known game that's over 3 years old. I'm willing to put up with the occasional hiccup to be able to talk to people about an awesome game- I'm sure everyone else is too.

Thanks for the supportive words Matt:)

And... dom dom dom .. finally, after much pain, struggling, laaaaaaaaag... we are here! I've been running the sites through some loops this morning, functionalities that could bring the speed to it's kneees, and this semi-dedicated server we're on is just singing.

Are you guys doing okay with this move, yays or nays so far?

gogo

Well, after few mystical errors I got the other day, everything seems to play quite smooth. Haven't checked around that much lately, thb, so I must've skipped most of the bad stuff.

Glad to see everything's going well again. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome Knuckles! I'm just posting again, after about a week with the new Semi-Dedicated hosting we're using, I'm actually loving the speed, I don't think we've ever been this fast, and we are never going back to slowness...

ever

...evah!

:viking:

Asking if everyone else out there is okay with the latency, is the forum and Wiki fast? I'm also curious about thumnbailing on teh wiki...has anyone tried it yet to see how it responds?

gogo

During this whole transitional stage, actually, I did not get too many 'incidents' surfing the site from up here in the

Great White NorthtmCoo-luk-uk-ook-coo-coo Bob and Doug for Prime Minister...oops elections were last year

But, I didn't try uploading anything... so a couple of SLQ errors (or whatever they were) and that was it for issues on my end.

To be honest, surfing the Civilization Fanatics forums essentially forced me to 'refresh' almost every time I switched pages. So, Dark Matters has not been bad at all from my perspective :BlobRed:

:sigh: I think you may need to just fire me... :sigh:

I have been slacking so I did not have a whole lot to upload. I uploaded 8 pics and they went OK. I went to create the category page, which creates the thumbnails, and I got a MySQL error.

I am sorry. I really hate to be the bearer of bad news.

I'm glad we're good for most!

And it's actually the Wiki that we're looking to increase for it's utility, Lujate I'm just happy you're still working with the quests on wiki^^

So, you were able to upload, but the thumbnailing got you a msql error.

Did you try again right after which enabled you get them finally thumbnailed?

gogo

Good!

So... you used the thumbnailer, got the error...and it processed anyway? Or did you have to attempt the thumbnail functionality a second time for it to process this?

Was there a large wait time for the thumbnails to be made?

gogo