What would you change to the Inquistor

Hi all,

Got bored lately so I decide to put together various thoughts I had about how Inquisitor which is my favorite class could be better.

I noticed various threads here and there that they are close to be the least appreciated class and neither they are rated in the most powerful or overall best class of the game.

For me I still like them the most, I like their look, I like how fast GI CAs trigger, etc. Still I find them plenty of lacking both from the angles of power gaming and RP (even though it's not the purpose of the game). Inquisitor has a strong potential as character due to the historic background linked to the character. I would want to make it more "coherent" and a bit stronger while remaining close of actual character as it is and without turning him into a godlike character like seraphim, SW or Driad can be.

So could they be? I'll start with Attribute, then move to the aspects and CAs.

ATTRIBUTES

For me Inquisitors and clever and strong willd Barsteward. Their to main attributes should have been Intelligence and Willpower (=) match with even vit/dex/ sta stats, the weak point should be Strength.

They should rely on their bag on trick more than strength to achieve theirs means. For me Inquisitor should be more of a Dot and debuffs class.

ASPECTS

Gruesome Inquisition

Great aspect overall a match for the character background. Still I find that some choices for the CAs or mods could have been better and more original.

* CE and RM are OK, even though some mod are iffy.

s.

* MP I don't like it at all. A pylori should be... a pylori. So I would expect something that lock one encounters with minors damages. Mods would be about debuff the critters close to the poor thing caught in the pylori (like Area of Effect confusion, etc.). A CAs to be completely reworked.

* FF I like it but it could be better especially as vs other class lookalike CA there is no mean to lower the cool down, either way make it stronger. I would chose the later. It should raise attack and casting speed from scratch but a lesser boost.

Bronze mods: the choice should be between further improving bot attack and casting speed and extending the duration (relentless mod).

Silver mods: resolve with a lesser boost vs increased spell intensity.

Gold mods: same as resolve but for defense value vs increased SR.

* PC, overall I don't like it that much as I feel like what it does doesn't match the name, it's purifying. This buff for me should grant the Inquisitor various resistance as he is more and more beaten. Basic effect should provide an armor boost vs physical, poison and magic. The regen cost would be higher than what it is now (think RP).

Bronze: extend the effect to fire vs boost the physical armor

Silver: extend the effect to ice vs boost to poison and magic armor.

gold: boost to hit point regeneration vs protection from detrimental effect.

Astute Supremacy

The Sith aspect :)

*I could go with LA, CM and RT mostly unchanged but I would completely change the two others. I would make the non "choas, vortex" mod on CM more effective as affect would scale with the number of rune. I would also introduce a mod that allow to increase the chance to trigger secondary effect on LA (say instead of life leech).

*ZD, I would completely change it to a decoy CA. You would not summon the ZD, you would use the CA as other teleport CA. Basically you teleport but at your place appears the ZD, which retain aggro from the monster. I don't want the Inquisitor to become invisible like the HE or the SW but I could see mod that increase the thread he present to encounters. As well as bumping his potential to be used as a summon vs use it as a bomb (not that much for damage but secondary effects)when take down. The ZD would be a character of his own with acces to a selected couples of Inquisitor CAs.

This would have to be balanced etc. but that the kind of thing I envision for this CA.

*RP. I would down grade it consistently in power and cost (regen time a bit lower than PC level). Basically I would change from reflect to evade. I would change the gold mods, a second sphere mod choice (could be taken twice) vs a chance enemies can't avoid attack %.

Nefarious Netherworld

I would change quiet some things here too, and try to make it more potent and less situational.

* DS is ok but I would change damage to magic.

* IS is not OK for me, it's somehow worse and better than the SW raise dead ability. It does damages, it locks down an encounter but lock you down too. Overall I would sacrifice a bit of the damages but make them applied instantly. I would change the bronze mod to introduce some secondary effects so "weakening".

* I would change both DS and IS to short range (so a downgrade for IS and up grade for DS).

* ED, is really a cool CA, nice idea, nice mods but I would raise the damage to the point... it's not useless. I would also change the damage type for one of the mod to magic.

* PD is but as for FF there is no mean to reduce cooldown, so two choices make it better or introduce a way to lower the cooldown, as for FF I would choose the former. I would keep mostly as it is but improve the effect.

* SR I would change it completely. SR is great but it's useless against bosses. It makes it really tough to have an efficient NN focused build.

I'm thinking about something that may have an effect (still lesser but consitent not fom godlike to useless as SR is right now) close to boosting attack and value but working differently. This is what I'm thinking about somehow steal your opponent attributes.

SR would work as an area effect, within the area of effect, the "fighting" attributes (Strength, DEx and Vitality) of all the critters would be averaged and modified by some factor and add to yours. So it would no longer be a problem to face tough single opponent and a handful of them. I would change the mod obviously, possibilities: extend area of effect, further improve the factor which determines how much is add to you attribute, steal some of your encounters resistances, improve hit points regen vs regen time when enemies are around you.

SKILLS

An inquisitor without "enhanced perception" it's not RP but come on!

Other than that? :lol: well I guess that would be enough. I'm confident that with proper balancing the class would not be overwhelmingly strong, but it would allows more derivations from the "hybrid inquisitor" which looks like the only to get something really effective out of the class without being overly dependent on gear, or ineffective during the campaign, etc.

So what would you change to inquisitors?

Edited by super-avianti

Wow. Nice, well thought out post there, Super-Avianti... me likey :thumbsup:

Personally, I love the Inquisitor, but there isn't a heck of a lot that needs to be changed, IMO.

For me, just that Soul Reaver buff irks the heck out of me. It needs to be more multiplayer friendly on top of not being entirely useless for 80% of the bosses out there.

Instead of taking souls(& basing bonuses from # of souls), I would make it give static attack/defence (based on CA level) and give a "little something" whenever an enemy dies (all Inquisitor's and doppels will benefit, instead of only 1)... some healing, bonus to MF, or maybe even a battle frenzy effect (extra offensive abilities and negative defense ability).

Wow. Nice, well thought out post there, Super-Avianti... me likey :thumbsup:

Thanks, it's been a while that I think about this as I alwsays wanted to play "alternative" inqy but it prove difficult as the class vs quiet some other classes is a bit weak.

Personally, I love the Inquisitor, but there isn't a heck of a lot that needs to be changed, IMO.

I love it, it's reactive to play, no CAs (weapon based or not) that takes ages to execute, I like it. I like that it challenging too. I feel like their quiet some change to do, but may be it sounds radical but I'm not going too far from the class as it is now. I tried to consider ways to make possible successful builds based on every aspects. I considered most of the time few changes to the CA and mods as they are while taking in account what benefits the other classes can access to.

For the GI aspect, PC I think that turn it into a defensive buff would more interesting especially as I read that the boost in damage it provides it severely limited by the way it is applied (effect is lower than what the CA description say). Overall +% damage when hurt could be an option but on gear as you can afford to be beaten (it would up your armor(s) values). I'm not speaking of "bark skin level of armor" but something way more conservative and when your health is @25%.

MP is next to useless, while without turning it into a power house CA, it could have been made into a cool tool to divert attention say for a single aspect GI inky :P

FF assuming is cost in regen and serious cooldown should be tuned up, that "fair" when you consider the other classes.

RM triggering a bit more secondary effects and CE offering as a mod "chance to ignore armor" would also be "fair" (say you have the choice between this and startle which is useful too).

Overal I think a single aspect Inquisitor would be way more comfortable that it is now, still what I'm speaking about is still far of Dryad using only nature weaver aspect, Goldentouch gate is godly and Accute mind pumped your damage so high with staffs that simple attacks are effective enough against bosses.

For the AS aspect, same here, I made pretty little arbitration, lower regen for the buffs but lesser power but you gain chance to hit for sure and a bit better Area of Effect if you want (won't match the effect of high level RP) still if you consider a AS only build, it will be a relief for regen time, will allow you to hit boss from time to time with %LL weapons for example.

Same for the ZD, if it were a different character with its own weapons and a couple CA, a plain melee character it would be easier for the dumb AI to handle it. It could be used as a bomb when it died, or you could reinforce him so it deal a bit of damages and got mobs busy while your CAs recharge. LA, CM, RT I see minor change but it's minor, it's fine tuning to allow a real choice vs the std take on this CA (as it's the only effective way speaking more a bout CM here).

Overall taking in account our ZD as a devoy (figther/tank/decoy or bomb) and it's convenient teleport function (which Inky badly miss, so bothering sometime) and the other change AS build could be efficient for campaign.

For the NN aspect, I did really few changes, mostly it's taking inquisitor to more acceptable level in damage output and convenience. The problem is SR.

For me, just that Soul Reaver buff irks the heck out of me. It needs to be more multiplayer friendly on top of not being entirely useless for 80% of the bosses out there.

Instead of taking souls(& basing bonuses from # of souls), I would make it give static attack/defence (based on CA level) and give a "little something" whenever an enemy dies (all Inquisitor's and doppels will benefit, instead of only 1)... some healing, bonus to MF, or maybe even a battle frenzy effect (extra offensive abilities and negative defense ability).

You don't like my idea? I though a bit more about it. Here how the calculation could be. You calculate the average value of all the critters within the area of effect for strength, dexterity and vitality. You calculate the difference with your attributes. Then you take the absolute value of the difference. Then you add a percentage (based on CA level) of this value to your attributes. That's pretty fair if factor/% is reasonable. Actually the factor could be backed on the estimated level of the mobs surrounding you.

You face a mobs low rank critters, tiny boost if any to you stats but you don't need it that much. Not a good like ability.

You face a mobs with some elites, once tiny boost as the elites attribute get diluted into the mobs but as you take down the lesser critters your attributes will raise as the elite attribute will become more and more relevant to the calculation.

You face elites/champions, more significant boost make the fight easier (not easy as I'm not speaking about the kind of crazy boost SR can provide).

You face bosses, huge boost too :)

Overall I also considered interaction between the aspect, If you pass on PC you have other mean to augment you defense. PC doesn't work against SR for example, they compliment, same for RP, it may allow you to pass on CR and SR, but depending on your others choices they can be valuable (also depending on your choice for FF for example). I tried to consider a bit more synergy between aspect and the skills accessible to the class so you would have more choices, real choices not de facto choices. I also think that the choice I made are not only turn to power but more balance between offense and defense through skills and CAS choices, I would not tune the thing so it becomes really powerful but more flexible, I would also augment the utility of the class as do it all, on every aspect you have offense and defense, for characters focused on one aspect it would be easier to free skill slot for "general skills" and so making a really utility character with possibly the 4 mainly used general skills, bargaining, enhanced perception, blacksmith and alchemy.

Any way all this won't happen, I'll continue to play inky :P

Edited by super-avianti

For the GI aspect, PC I think that turn it into a defensive buff would more interesting especially as I read that the boost in damage it provides it severely limited by the way it is applied (effect is lower than what the CA description say).

I always thought PC worked just fine. But, S1 players were comparing it to WIDD, which works a little differently, and so a lot of what you read was just people mis-understanding how the mod works.

For the NN aspect, I did really few changes, mostly it's taking inquisitor to more acceptable level in damage output and convenience. The problem is SR.

You don't like my idea? I though a bit more about it. Here how the calculation could be. You calculate the average value of all the critters within the area of effect for strength, dexterity and vitality. You calculate the difference with your attributes. Then you take the absolute value of the difference. Then you add a percentage (based on CA level) of this value to your attributes. That's pretty fair if factor/% is reasonable. Actually the factor could be backed on the estimated level of the mobs surrounding you.

You face a mobs low rank critters, tiny boost if any to you stats but you don't need it that much. Not a good like ability.

You face a mobs with some elites, once tiny boost as the elites attribute get diluted into the mobs but as you take down the lesser critters your attributes will raise as the elite attribute will become more and more relevant to the calculation.

You face elites/champions, more significant boost make the fight easier (not easy as I'm not speaking about the kind of crazy boost SR can provide).

You face bosses, huge boost too :)

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea... it's good! BUT, if you make a short (10 words or less) description how this works so an in-game description/tooltip can be made... and you will end up with a very confusing effect. Static (either base value or %-value) effects are much easier to convey (and implement into the game....)

A lot of what else you said is relevant, the Inquisitor is a little mixed up. It is not necessarily a lack of synergy that is the problem, it is the anti-synergy that is there. PC and SR do not work well together, and RP and SR is waaaaay too much defence for fighting trash mobs. IS and SR don't work together (which I understand...) but they shouldn't be in the same aspect.

I always thought PC worked just fine. But, S1 players were comparing it to WIDD, which works a little differently, and so a lot of what you read was just people mis-understanding how the mod works.

Well once you know how it works it works as intended (even on console) but I was surprised to read some days ago that the advertized in game %xxx the damage only translate into a half or a third the face value. PC is cheap in regen "by default" but as no mean to reduce it regen cost. I find it a bit expansive, I expect that Hallow act the same? Irune at least does want it says and I've to say that he silver and bronze mods whereas not useless are not that relevant either. Once againit's about what other classes get. Look for example GR for SW.

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea... it's good! BUT, if you make a short (10 words or less) description how this works so an in-game description/tooltip can be made... and you will end up with a very confusing effect. Static (either base value or %-value) effects are much easier to convey (and implement into the game....)

A lot of what else you said is relevant, the Inquisitor is a little mixed up. It is not necessarily a lack of synergy that is the problem, it is the anti-synergy that is there. PC and SR do not work well together, and RP and SR is waaaaay too much defense for fighting trash mobs. IS and SR don't work together (which I understand...) but they shouldn't be in the same aspect.

Sorry it was not that clear in the main post, by the way my answer was not mean or didn't intend too ;) I used the interrogative form as I though that I may have to be clearer about what I though. Actually I though a bit more, I'm not sure critters have proper characteristics but they must have a proper attack and defense values. So the calculation could possibly be made easier on this. It could use the same mechanic as the game to determine the level of the critters you encounter. Within the area of effect the average level of the mob is evaluated then it's given a grade a bit like critters can appears white (it could be nice if the color SR visual effect varies with grade, I envision lesser souls than DS moving around a bit randomly), green, yellow, etc. So the game recovers a grade for the mob level in the area of effect.

Then attack value and defense of those same critters are averaged. Then the difference with your value is calculated and normalized (in maths I would write |x-y| )so the result is always positive.

This result would not be added to your stats straight ahead they would be pondered by a factor (this factor would get better as you eat more runes) but to make balancing easier there could be a different factor for each category of mob (as visually in game white, green, etc. or other set of colors and may be more tones). Only after that it would be added to your attack and defense value.

I also though of some mods (which could work in the same fashion) for example you may have to choice to improve you spell intensity or spell resistance using the same of calculations.

I agree with the other part of your post, some things are just not working together, SR and IS but also IS and ED, may be IS could be changed to a "conversion" kind of CA a bit like of the seraphim's one. That would mean it would no longer be a damaging CA. If it's like the seraphim CA it may not be a sure "conversion" either. May be it could be made sure at the cost of lesser duration. Balancing acts tough, it needs testing. I don't know about the modding community but I don't think this is in range with what they can do (at least now)?

Edited by super-avianti

What would I change for thr Inquisitor? I would enable him to work for the Light as well as the Dark side! Don't think that this would be a huge difference? Well think about it.

Think Star Wars for a minute and imagine Darth Vader deciding to work for the Rebellion, he doesn't have to become an angelic person, he can still be a nasty piece of work. Think also of DC comic style heroes, how many of them are nice guys and how many are "dark heroes"?

Me, I fancy being a dark hero in the batman style and using tactics designed to scare the **** out of the bad guys and the Inquisitor fits the bill perfectly, so let me use him on the side of Light. Oh, go on, pretty please with sugar on top?

:evil:

Edited by podgie_bear

Essjayehm I've another take on the Inquisitor, I've been thinking about it for a while. It's a radical take on the character background and in game description and actually it would be a pretty unique character in sacred 2 but I'm confident that the character would be successful among gamer (may be I'm cocky but I like it more than the other alternative, I really think there are some neat ideas in my proposal). I'll start by explaining the reasons (overall) why I made the decisions I made and how they link to the character description.

Please let me know what you think :) (Actually I may post it in the sacred 3 wish list if I got a handful on positive returns).

I selected especially this part in the description:

the High Priests are secretly breeding demons and other disgusting creatures
The soul of the Inquisitor is as dark as the magic he uses, and his methods in hand-to-hand combat are just as twisted
He has powerful and manipulative spells at his command, which render him a deadly weapon. He is even able to manipulate the minds of his enemies. Thus are his powers that he can wield them against entire groups of opponents. He has access to devastating spells of destruction and influence based on dark magic. The Inquisitors are fanatic fighters and they possess weapons that are able to store and discharge T-Energy, which they will transform into any shape they require.
The Inquisitor is an offensive character / He favors close combat

So I proceed to a complete rework of the class based on the part I deemed the more relevant.

First, the inquisitor power is spell, he likes close combat even hand to hand combat but he is not your average caster he like to get personal :)

I made a really radical arbitration, I made a Inquisitor which is not using weapons but get personal to achieves his means, a close combat caster which I would not describe as your average battlemage. I tried to link the character to some rooten circle of hell and poison will be a dominant damage modifier in NN, Magic will be for AS, Wounds for GI.

Attributes

INT=WILL and they are the Ink best attribute

the rest pretty even and average.

Skills

Lots of removal: weapons, tactic lore, toughness / addition of Enhanced perception. There would be a GI lore skill.

Gearsno weapon, so I had the Ink an extra amulet. I would not grant him any significant damage mitigatin gear (even fewer than what he has now), Ink lives dangerously but that their mean to make the most of their powers.

Aspects

Gruesome Inquisition

Here the Inquisitor will get really personal and try to take on the battle ground with his bare first and tricks :)

Callous Execution: (It will work a bit like "magic coup" so not a weapon based CA and properties will be obviously different but relies on your attack speed and value.)

I thought of "indiana jones" :), the Ink plunge his hand into his opponent chest in an attempt to remove his heart. While the damage figure (pure physical damage working as + %physical damages) would be low it would have a significant to "ignore opponent armor". Only if the opponent dies in the process and so the Ink succeed at extracting the heart of his victim, the critters really close to the Ink will suffer a debuff in attack and defense values, otherwise just damages will be applied.

Mods (bronze to gold): Bleed / Lacerate/ %LL (scaling but really low) or Tenacity, Startle, higher debuff (heart removing successful).

Ruthless Mutilation: In a column the Inquisitor (in fort of him makes no aim) a "razor blades" appear on the ground cutting and slowing down opponent movements (think EL from the dryad with blades getting out orthogonally to the movement). Pretty low damages, lower than RM per critter but it's an Area of Effect spell and it triggers neat secondary effects.

Mods: deprivation or Ire / increase the number of blade or dolor / increase blade width or deprivation (so can be taken twice to slow down critters to crawling speed).

Barbaric wires: Sharp barbwire appears on the hands of the Ink for the duration of spell adding (beefy)physical damages to his punches (+ XX physical damages). Attack speed during the spell is lowered.

In regard to regen it would be like FF/PD short regen long cool down. It will have an option to lower cool-down instead of extending duration, overall the time in game where the buff is active will be the same but it's matter or activating the CA more often vs for more extended periods of time (I'll change FF/Relentless in the same way)

Mods:

Lower cool-down (-1/4)/ Disgrace / Mortify

or

Extend durati0n (+1/3)/lesser bleed / lesser lacerate

Frenetic fervor: Mostly the same as now with minor changes. Increase the Ink attack speed.

Mods:

Faith / Accuracy (same boost as resolve but for spell intensity) / No escape

Fanaticism / Resolve / Relentless (but -1/4 to the cool-down instead of +1/3 to duration).

Purifying chastisement: It provides the Ink with a toughness like effect, the more he is beaten the stronger the effect on his armor value(s). Same regen cost as PC now.

Mods:

Bronze: Mystic / Plague (same as Purge/Mystic but Increase poison damages).

Silver: merciless / improve bleeding damage (scale with CA level and health level the more your hurt the more they bleed too.

Gold: boost to Spell resistance vs protection versus detrimental effects.

Overall I think that the man may have a bit lower damage output than a GI only Ink now while being more resilient (and fun/original) but it will have to live dangerously to take down opponents.

Astute Supremacy

It took me sometime to figure out something out of this one, I wanted to make this even more "Sith Lord" like but I was not sure about what to do with CM and ZD. Till the idea stuck me as crystal clear, what to do with my unarmed Ink, CM and ZD relative to look like a Sith:) How about a two-handed magical light saber? :) For some reasons I was watching at Seraphin CAs, Beefeegee especially, it struck me.

Another thing that struck (I was having a tough time thinking about IS, DS and SR) is that IS should be in the Astute Supremacy Aspect. Controlling lesser being's mind is a very Sith like thing to do. So to the details :)

Levin Array: Unchanged.

Raving Trust: I would change the area of effect from cone to a column (narrow early on but could take more than one opponent in close combat) as it will be more convenient to use and more related to what Sith/Jedi do. They don't send a push of air onto their opponent, it's a force/acceleration is exercised on all opponent within a column. Overall the CA effect would be more predictable, usable, effective. As a counter measure I would pump the regen time up to CM level.

Mods: unchanged.

Inexorable Subjugation: for all intends and purposes (duration/regen/etc.) it would be a modded "instill Belief" (Seraphin) but without the possible Area of effect. The mod would be a mix of Seraphin and Inquisitor CA:

Bronze: Blessing / Reclaim

Silver: Probation / Preacher

Gold: Fanatic / Menace

Light Saber: The Inquisitor summons a blue (living array blue) two handed light saber for the duration of the spell. The damage type is magic only. The saber has a scaling inherent chances to hit multiple enemies. Regen time as ZD (I'll do the same duration cool-down as I did for other CAs). Now the mods:

Bronze: Chance to reflect projectile (30%+2 per CA) vs a significant increase to the chance to hit multiple enemies.

Silver: Chance to block melee attack (30%+2 per CA) vs a scaling chance to trigger secondary effect (weaken).

Gold: -1/3 to cool-down vs change to buff

(nb I took the reflection/block values come for Incandescent Skin to make thing believable).

Reverse Polarity:

I found something more comprehensive than my previous attempt for this buff. Basically as an Ink with no weapon and FF aside no mean to boost your attack value, you will end having a hard time hitting something. So what I propose for the effect of this buff is "swap". The game actually display once you took down a critter the "chance you had to hit" the "chance you had to evade" (basically the chance the critter has to hit you), so I would change RP to a really short range area of effect Buff where once a critter enter the zone your chance to hit (and so for him to evade) are swapped by his/its. Regen cost would be high the same as Nether allegiance or higher.

Mods:

Bronze: increase per critter (&per CA level) in the Area of Effect of your hit point generation / increase per critter (&per CA level) in the Area of Effect of your CA regeneration rate

Silver: Evade (a bit stronger boost to defense than) / Slight decrease in regen cost.

Gold: Inversion (not only your chance to hit are swapped by those of the critter but his are swapped by yours, won't work on Bosses) / Extend the area of effect(say to PD native Range).

That's it for our Sith no longer a huge Area of Effect Aspect, more risky close combat with dirty Sith tricks for backup:)

Got to be personal with its encounters no matter it's bosses, champions or your average critters, the pretty fragile Ink will leave once again dangerously to make the most of his powers.

Nefarious Netherworld

This one give me a lot to think about for sure, I based the thing on a pretty gloomy circle of doom where every is rotten, putrid, gloomy, etc. So no shiny flames. It will also bit the more "usual caster like" aspect. I had a hard time with DS and SR and how to make them different as if we go by the name only they could do mostly the same thing. I decided to remove DS. I was not that happy with PD either, I wanted a more self sufficient aspect and more like your average caster, the effect did not fit in. I did use to some extend a clone of ZD. I'll start by the CAs that are not pure creations:

Soul Reaver: from the Ink wombs exhale a nefarious myst that diffuse around him. Those who dare enter in this myst suffer the effects of the hellish sent their soul is getting dissociated from their body as long as they stay in the Area of Effect. Effect same as DS without the damages. Area of effect => same size as PD actually same visual effect.

Mods:

Bronze: torture (but with poison damage) or deprivation. (so ~mods from DS)

Silver: Source / Recreation (mods for SR but with better scaling).

Gold: decrease critters ATK&DEF values / add a 5s lasting effect to the critters exiting the myst.

Sacrificial Decoy: While sinking in the Netherworld the Ink let behind him a sacrificial decoy, the decaying body of a poor creature tortured in the Netherworld. Soon after the Ink reappears on the land of our world to mock at those whose curiosity prevented from running from the sadistic bomb it let there for them...

Basically the CA would work as a blend of Shadow Step and Blazing tempest. The CAs would have a 15s cool down which can't be lowered. It would not grant the Ink any beneficial effect as SS or Forest Flight can. The decoy is a 3s time bomb, when it explodes it release a wave of maggots the inflict poisonous damages on impact and afflict the victims poison secondary effect (so DoT). As for BT, the damage on impact would get lower the wider the arc is (to circle if needed). Range of waves of maggots would be way lower than flames (I'm not sure about BT range but it's huge) most likely less than half the range let say 33%, the spread in ° of the arc would be determine by the critters in range. Maggots would spread at a bit slower pace too. Mods would be close to BT mods.

Bronze: Ferocious (40% increase damage on impact) / Starvation (25% increase in spread speed).

Silver: Small Pox (41.7 increase in DoT damage) / Contagion (45% increase in spread range).

Gold: Lust (increased chance for critical) / Fright (30% of chance of setting a fear effect on nearby critters.

Eruptive desecration: no change but the up the damages which are comical, either change it too Area of Effect spell which detonate the all the corpses in the area designated by the player.

Devious vows: when the Ink triggers this spell on a critters, a pentagram appears unders it feet. He's soon impaled from below by a reversed crux. During the time the spell last the victim is not able to move or attack and suffers the effect of a "serious open wounds". He can by attack.

The spell would have a 15s and with 45s cooldown

Mods: OK I'll finish the post later mostly it could be mod like a reverse "Augmenting Guidon" or like a (functional...) Mortifying Pylori thus the poor thing get attacked by it siblings disgusted by such the heresy of his vow... :lol

OK, will edit /finish latter. Back home but will take some rest before edting during the we. Formatting is not the same from one aspect to another etc. LOng post if it's not clear...

Edited by super-avianti

Essjayehm I've another take on the Inquisitor, I've been thinking about it for a while.

I selected especially this part in the description:

Were you going to make a "demon" summon? A baby version of the Saakra?

The soul of the Inquisitor is as dark as the magic he uses, and his methods in hand-to-hand combat are just as twisted
He has powerful and manipulative spells at his command, which render him a deadly weapon. He is even able to manipulate the minds of his enemies. Thus are his powers that he can wield them against entire groups of opponents. He has access to devastating spells of destruction and influence based on dark magic. The Inquisitors are fanatic fighters and they possess weapons that are able to store and discharge T-Energy, which they will transform into any shape they require.
The Inquisitor is an offensive character / He favors close combat

So a "monk" type character would be very interesting to me, but your version would be more hybrid-based than melee-based... whereas I would stay more melee.

I cannot really comment on your CA changes... thematically they are good, but without being able to play with them (and compare to what we have) I don't really know what to think... except your version of PC is much better than the current one, IMO.

OK, will edit /finish latter. Back home but will take some rest before edting during the we. Formatting is not the same from one aspect to another etc. LOng post if it's not clear...

and they possess weapons that are able to store and discharge T-Energy, which they will transform into any shape they require.

Heh.. I had forgotten about this little tidbit, too. Any idea what the devs had in mind with this statement? I hope they didn't mean the pulsars and energy guns :yawn:

Were you going to make a "demon" summon? A baby version of the Sankara?

I was wondering but you gave me an interesting idea.

So a "monk" type character would be very interesting to me, but your version would be more hybrid-based than melee-based... whereas I would stay more melee.

That's the idea I thought that Ink could be a sort of unarmed fighter also because their emblem is a fist. I didn't want a D&D like monk, looking only at sacred 2, I wanted a character closer to the High Elf, I don't know if it shows but that's really the idea, but instead of relying on spell for direct or DoT damages, the magic is there to create the melee potential of the character. Basically the "monk like" aspect is the Gruesome Inquisition one. FF and "upgraded fists" would be the main sources of damages, raise attack value, summon your glove and go beat the crap out surrounding critters. CE and RM will be effective but also mean to keep doing damage during the cooldown of the two aforementioned CAs.

The Astute supremacy is Sith like, but there are monk of some form.

For the NN aspect I think it will be a bit more traditional caster aspect, but I want the Ink to stay "personal"/under physical pressure from his encounters. So far I'm still wondering about how to provide him with a form of physical attack, you idea about lesser Sankara demons actually triggered something in my mind I'm still iffy. I also though of something, better than the CA I thought about almost on the fly Friday and that doesn't satisfy me (the impaling crux), I'm thinking about something from Harry potter, the lake full of undead, or the swamp from the Lotr. The idea would be to make a circle around the Ink a "swamp of undead", I could think of opponents being attacked by hands of the dead. For mods it could be about speed, DoT, rooting effects, that kind of thing. to be efficient the Ink needs to be surrounded, a bit like the Decay CA I came with, there is no way the ink can do the most of it in the distance, he will need to gather a mob against him and to be surrounded. That would do 4 CAs (swamp, SR, ED, Decay,) I wonder if your idea about the baby demon could be the good one. I may do it as another cooldown based CA (which force to circle between the various CAs). SR is close combat range, "Swamp thingy" would not be be that extended (some meters in radius), the Decoy is short range too, as I say the INk as to be in the middle of the fray to inflict damage. So my idea is the Ink summons a two tiny demons (number may be augmented through mod), the Ink has complete control of the demons (which act as one) actually once the demons have been summoned the Ink can't move or cast. The demons may be demon living into swamp, somehow decaying form of demons or may be a bit tinier greenish renditions of the HE fire demon. There could be a synergy between the swamp spell and this one. I could see mods raising the threat demons represent so the Ink receive less attacks, a mod that make them more efficient into the "swamp CA", a mod to increase the self-destruction damages, mod for extra demon, mod for more efficient demons, mod for more resilient demons. While in control of the demon, the Ink, would control the movements, the attack (only one type) and have a self destruction option doing few damages in a tiny Area of Effect.

The overall combat mechanic (assuming only one aspect) would be something like gather a mobs around you, cast Swamp + demons, beat your encounters, at the end of these spell you may still have critters surrounding you and cooldown preventing instant reuse of the same CAs, so it would be Decoy and/or ED. You teleport out of the fray, a temporary retreat, critters suffers the decoy Dot damage and ED explosive damages. The CAs would be powerful and I wonder about the idea of making all of them "cooldown" kind of CAs (including ED which in this case be an Area of Effect spell which detonate all the bodies in the Area of Effect).

I cannot really comment on your CA changes... thematically they are good, but without being able to play with them (and compare to what we have) I don't really know what to think... except your version of PC is much better than the current one, IMO.

Thanks I spend sometime thinking of this, and I feel the same, to me at least it sounds good but it would have to be tested for real to decide for proper damages for this CAs, proper regen, etc. basically to make sure the thing is neither gimped of godly.

and they possess weapons that are able to store and discharge T-Energy, which they will transform into any shape they require.

Heh.. I had forgotten about this little tidbit, too. Any idea what the devs had in mind with this statement? I hope they didn't mean the pulsars and energy guns :yawn:

I wondered too, especially as energy weapons are accessible to other classes :|

Edited by super-avianti

What would I change for thr Inquisitor? I would enable him to work for the Light as well as the Dark side! Don't think that this would be a huge difference? Well think about it.

Think Star Wars for a minute and imagine Darth Vader deciding to work for the Rebellion, he doesn't have to become an angelic person, he can still be a nasty piece of work. Think also of DC comic style heroes, how many of them are nice guys and how many are "dark heroes"?

Me, I fancy being a dark hero in the batman style and using tactics designed to scare the **** out of the bad guys and the Inquisitor fits the bill perfectly, so let me use him on the side of Light. Oh, go on, pretty please with sugar on top?

I dunno. . .there are plenty of 'Do It For The Children Side Quests' to make the Inquisitor kind of look good. There's some kind of irony in having a Shadow Aligned Character help little kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind if they changed one or two of the Inquisitor CAs in the CM patch, similar to what they did for Dragon Mage. Though their change for him are largely unsatisfying.. but that's another matter.

The number one thing that really wants changing is SR. Making that useful during boss fights somehow would be great. Area of Effect stealing of attributes sounds perfect to me. If not, Area of Effect stealing of attack and defense, which persists after the creature dies for 20 seconds or so (duration is not renewed, no need to make this buff OP), to stay as close as possible to the original mechanics. This would allow you to steal attack and defense from a boss while it's alive, too.

Removing Paralyzing Dread for a monk-like CA in the NN tree would also give another reason to focus in it over AS, and it makes TOTAL sense, since the Inquisitor's flavor text talks all about his unarmed combat, and strange ability to morph his weapons. I'm sure the CM patch people could think up something appropriate, and yeah, maybe similar to the High Elf. Grave Touch or something, not so tough. For the morphing aspect, give several mods which change the damage type.

With these two changes, the Inquisitor would be more balanced, and more true to flavor text, and they aren't even that big of changes.

Edited by Jailbar

I dunno. . .there are plenty of 'Do It For The Children Side Quests' to make the Inquisitor kind of look good. There's some kind of irony in having a Shadow Aligned Character help little kids.

I didn't mean just side quests, I meant be able to play the whole Light side storyline. Maybe at the end instead of having to face a Seraphim, face your Head of the Order of Inquisitors. Mind you I would also like to be able to play the Seraphim on the Dark Side. I hate being told what role I have to play.