How Popular is Sacred compared to Sacred 2?

16 members have voted

1. 1. Have you gone back to Sacred 1 after playing Sacred 2?

I have to admit that I have reverted to playing Sacred Underworld in preference to Sacred 2 and wonder just how many others have done the same. I have nothing particular against Sacred 2, it just hasn't grabbed me in the same way that Underworld did and after staring at the screen for 10 minutes trying to work up the enthuesiasm to take my Shadow Warrior out for yet another slaughter of the bad, worse and indifferent, I finally realised that I just couldn't be bothered and that I would rather be playing Underworld anyday, so I uninstalled 2, reinstalled Underworld and am far happier watching my crusty, bad-tempered little dwarf punching and breakdancing his way across Ancaria, while requesting toasted goblin for breakfast!

Am I the only one?

I went thru a brief stint of rebuilding some of my Sacred 1 characters, but that part is done. I will say that the Combat Arts feel more fun than in Sacred 2, and you definitely use them more often. I'm currently going thru Single Player on Sacred 2 to finish Silver difficulty while also seeking out the many quests littered thru the game. I may try to do this with each character, but it depends on how I feel about the time investment. NOT finishing Bronze for SP is definitely a good idea, although I still believe that the first two bosses are a required litmus test for each build.

The real fun of Sacred 1 may be due to its simpler nature. Nothing needs modifications(which requires research to determine which mod works best), forging is MUCH simpler, sets seem much more useful(especially the special damage sets), and Sacred 1 has Bravemart.

Well, in a roundabout way I "went back" to S1 ;)

But if I had easy way of getting Sacred 2+Ice and Blood+CM Patch, etc... I would instantly. As has been alluded to in other S1 vs Sacred 2 threads, the blocky graphics and limited camera is my biggest complaint. Going thru S1/UW once and I feel I've seen "it all" whereas in Sacred 2, altering the camera angle/zoom level almost creates a different gameworld. (almost)

But I like some of the funky mods... Pain, dmg received reduces gold, SPLIT, etc... better than the boring mods in Sacred 2.

I found that although Sacred 2 is 'technically' the better game and definitely has better graphics, it just doesn't seem to be as good a game overall. The storyline, characterisations, etc seem to me to feel as though the developers were more concerned with making a sequel based on the hugely successful first game than in lavishing the care and attention on it that it deserved. It certainly has its good points, but it seems not to have that indefinable something which characterised the first one and instead seems to be leaning towards some sort of industry standard game. Sort of in the way Firefox seems to be losing its identity and becoming some sort of Chrome clone.

I may not have said that very well, but I find it difficult to put into words.

Edited by podgie_bear

and Sacred 1 has Bravemart.

yes, it does^^

I loved this game when it came out. In fact, for years it was the only game I would play, and was probably one of my first "real" games I played. My first online game, my first forum, I was a different person back then, new to all, nothing could be less then shiny when I first saw it, especially when I first got my toon on top of a horse in the demo and found I could fire arrows while circling around an orc?

Magnificent

Clicking weapons on and off, seeing them animated in my hands, glowing, everything working smoothly, with the final cherry on the sundae being us able to socket. Wonders! I'd never played Diablo, all of this was magical, all new, and it came with the first forum I ever joined in my life, the Sacred International forum.

So yeah, Sacred came with stuff that Sacred 2 can't reproduce. Me as a new player, bright-eyed and excited to hang out and do stuff with other players across the world for my first time. I think Sacred when it came out was ground breaking for a lot of us, and that kind of experience goes far.

Both the games have their merits and flaws, but the biggest challenge for me to ever return to that old game is that my yearning for graphics and an animated world have really changed. I honestly don't know whether I can play an isometric game again. Drakan Saang for example, beautiful, so accessible and free to boot! But..isometric...

I think when I first started with these games I could put up with it. But if you really think about it, it's kind of a contrivance, a forced point of view, a way to "manage" the gaming experience, that, these days, I found I'm not all that fond of.

In fact, having to play isometric for diablo is really making me think about it's place in my life for it's third sortie.

So thank you Sacred for being there, thank you, I think, just as much, Sacred 2, for taking up that gauntlet smartly and giving us another few glorious years of play.

I think I'm ready for the third game

:)

gogo

Well, kind of. At first my rig couldn't quite handle Sacred 2, it had some bugs and things, so it went back to shelf to collect some dust, to be played with better comp.

Guess that would be the only reason I reverted back for a while. I really did like the first Sacred as well, it being something quite different from Diablo 2.

Nowadays I guess one thing that limits my playing with S1 is that it has such a small resolution. I'd like to play my games fullscreen, but it would look quite awful with this 1080p monitor... Isometry isn't problem for me, quite the contrary, it's sometimes nice to play games which don't require as much juice as the more "modern" games.

Actually, a bit ot, but I had a "second coming" with Titan Quest the other day, and now as I'm on sick leave I've played it nonstop. :P

Actually, a bit ot, but I had a "second coming" with Titan Quest the other day, and now as I'm on sick leave I've played it nonstop. :P

Gaming is great when we're under weather, I remember TQ when it first came out, loved how it felt "magical".

Juha, hope you're feeling better, are you on sick leave for a while?

:unsure:

gogo

• 2 months later...

I loved sacred 2 but sacred 1 was better in my book, WHY? Short answer Battle mage, long answer Studious, sword wielding, warm hearted, piromaniac!

Yup I loved roaming around with my Battle mage casting fire balls, and purgatory and firespirals for the win!

Questing in sacred 1 seamd a bit more fun from sacred 2 and the graphics while old where more charming.

heh, you know, Battle Mage was one of the classes, I never really got to play around with too much. There were some great abilities built with it though, Fireballs were splendid, ice needs especially good, loved the sound, it's animation, how the ice would tingle downwards in that kind of vector when shot.

Ever seen Schot's Fire ball brigade idea for Sacred?

gogo

There was one Battle Mage Combat Art, Purgatory, I've seen some players use some crazy builds and being able to spam a bunch at once, entertaining ^^

gogo

See its just this that makes me wish the battle mage is in sacred 3. I must do everything I can to make it happen, I mean why did they bring the seraphim of all classes in sacred 2.

There was one Battle Mage Combat Art, Purgatory, I've seen some players use some crazy builds and being able to spam a bunch at once, entertaining ^^

gogo

Lol, when I was playing fire BM, I've never even considered using this spell. Maybe I should try a Purgatory mage out; I really love all those weird and crazy builds, when people I come across with say something like "lol omg what the hell is going on?" :lol:

Any ideas besides spider-queen WE and undead general vamp?

Edited by ololcat

gogo

Lol, when I was playing fire BM, I've never even considered using this spell. Maybe I should try a Purgatory mage out; I really love all those weird and crazy builds, when people I come across with say something like "lol omg what the hell is going on?" :lol:

Crazy builds aside I think the developers should make upgradeable spells, like what diablo 3 is trying to do, so a small fire ball on the battle mage could turn into 3 fire balls, a huge fire ball, and maybe even a fire skin fire ball nova

gogo

Crazy builds aside I think the developers should make upgradeable spells, like what diablo 3 is trying to do, so a small fire ball on the battle mage could turn into 3 fire balls, a huge fire ball, and maybe even a fire skin fire ball nova

That was the idea behind the modifications in Sacred 2, although not many of them changed the way the spell worked as radically as for the high elfs fireball which could be modded for 1 Area of Effect blast or a couple of smaller (homing) balls.

It would be cool though if this could be applied to more of the Combat Arts, most of them simply gave an extra modifier after picking a mod point, it could be cooler of the 3 mod choices each did something different eg. Bronze: change the actual spell effect (eg fireball to multiball or Area of Effect blast), silver: change damage options of the spell gold: change status effects of the spell (in any order).

S1 had me hooked far longer than Sacred 2, I feel that I've had my share of Sacred 2 - tried this tried that, done this, done that... S1 just kept me coming back for more every time. I guess it's because I liked the overall selection of characters better. I never really was a master of Dark Elf, Gladiator, Vampire or Dwarf, but I gave them all a solid run and enjoyed it. Playing on PS3 I'll never get to try the Dragon Mage, but I've only really enjoyed playing with the Seraphim, High Elf and Inquisitor (to an extent). It just feels longer to get a build off the ground and if things go wrong then all that time is wasted. I could more easily recover a badly started build in S1 with the better equipment boni offered. I think I just felt the effects of xp points spent better in S1 than in Sacred 2? To be honest I think the smaller world also worked better.

But Sacred 2 remains a great game. :thumbsup::drunkards:

I'm playing Sacred 1 due to my video card dying. May get into Sacred 2 later due to the CM patches.

IN terms of gameplay I'd rate Original over Sacred 2 - esp. storyliner and bosses. Character and combat art wise I think they are about the same. Dryad and Inquisitor (Clustering maelstrom, corpse explosion)were great, never really liked the Seraphim or Temple guardian.

I'm playing Sacred 1 due to my video card dying. May get into Sacred 2 later due to the CM patches.

IN terms of gameplay I'd rate Original over Sacred 2 - esp. storyliner and bosses. Character and combat art wise I think they are about the same. Dryad and Inquisitor (Clustering maelstrom, corpse explosion)were great, never really liked the Seraphim or Temple guardian.

I thought the very same thing Augmint, sacred 1 is quite better then sacred 2 in those respects, graphic wise sacred 2 is better but then a game needs to be fun more then it has to be prety. But I guess im gona play sacred 2 again with the CM get the lick king armor :D