This money looks awful!

I've decided to inspect and only accept clean, crisp bills from retailers :viking:

I just went shopping for groceries, and one of the bills was practically torn completely in half and almost worn, washed out :Just_Cuz_21:

Are we allowed to ask for crisper bills or something? I feel like this bill's gonna disintegrate in my pocket after a couple of minutes.

Is it legal to put scotch tape to hold it together?

:blink:

gogo

We're almost done with this problem.

I learned that this fall they will release brand new bills made of plastic, no more paper, no more illegal copies.

Max

AFAIK, here in the States a bill is legit as long as it has three corners and you do not have the right to refuse it (you can refuse foreign currency but that is only really an issue with coins).

Max, you're right...they look awesome!

:cow_white:

gogo

p.s. I just talked to my mom...lujate that's interesting what you say about three corners... my mom used to work in a bank and she says that (in canada) if you used to bring in half a bill, they'd give you have its value!

• Like! 1

I think here in germany you can refuse any bill you don't thrust: be it that the savety stuff which prevents copying is damaged, or it is to dirty and you have a food store, ...

The federal state banks have to accept these bills. But proofing takes sometimes weeks. As long the serial number or secret graphical stuff as a replacement for the number is there you will get the money value after a time. As a volunteer firefighter: at house fires we often collect bills, insurance papers which are damaged by water, chemicals, fire. We do a list of what we found to help people to get the value back. In computer age serial numbers (or graphical equivalents) of damaged bills are stored to prevent people to do 3 bills out of one. So if you accept a bill which misses a part of it, you accept the risc that someone already claimed the bill as damaged.

A shop owner will normally accept damaged bills if he thinks that all the identifiers are there to keep customers happy. But a butcher/baker will probably say sorry if the bill had heavy contact to land mines for example. We call dog FECAL MATTER! on streets land mines in my area in slang.

Scotch tape is allowed, as long you use it to glue proper halves. If you glue pieces from different bills it is like creating false money.

In australia we've had plastic notes for a while so almost all of the time they're in great condition. Apparently if you have two perfect halves of a not you will get face value for each one (so 2 halves of a $10 will get you 2 $10 notes!), but Im not sure if thats a myth or not.

Yes, I remember those! I was in Australia for a few months, and loved the bills. They never got all ratty like the ole paper stuff, and the panes, first time I saw them were magnificent.

Apparently the new canadian bills are the largest see through panes in the world, and thye have a neat light hole thingy where you point the bill up at a single light source, and look through the hole. If the bill is genuine you will see numbers appearing that represent the bill denomination appearing in a circle around.

magic!

:xmastree:

gogo

oooooh, Plastic monehs! that sounds great, it is almost like a credit card...

I hate touching money, I don't know about other countries, but in SA, people keep money in their shoes, in their socks, some women keep it in their bra, and then most disgusting, even people keeping it in their underwear... :sick: I really don't want to touch that...

Typically in the U.S. if you have more than 1/2 of the bill you can get a replacement at any bank.

If you have less..it's still possible but it's a lot harder (you have to prove the rest of the bill was destroyed) and you need to go a federal bank or Treasury office

I hate touching money, I don't know about other countries, but in SA, people keep money in their shoes, in their socks, some women keep it in their bra, and then most disgusting, even people keeping it in their underwear... :sick: I really don't want to touch that...

LOLol! That's so funny... in their socks, underwear?

Holee molee what about wallets, don't they sell those in South Africa?

:o

:lol:

gogo

Typically in the U.S. if you have more than 1/2 of the bill you can get a replacement at any bank.

If you have less..it's still possible but it's a lot harder (you have to prove the rest of the bill was destroyed) and you need to go a federal bank or Treasury office

This is my general understanding of Canadian currency as well.

MORE than 50% is required... so you cannot "double your money" :D

This is my general understanding of Canadian currency as well.

MORE than 50% is required... so you cannot "double your money" :D

Thus in gangster movies, the classic: tear a $100 bill in half, give you half now and promise the other half on completion of the "job".

gogo

Oh yes We do indeed have wallets, BUT, it is usually young people(all races) and older white people who buy them. They hide their money on their bodies to keep it safe, from muggers and robbers. since that is the biggest threat in South Africa, Crime. we don't have hurricanes, tsunamis, tornadoes, or earthquakes, we also don't have wild animals roaming the streets, all the land in South Africa is owned and fenced in, but even electric fences on top of high walls can't keep criminal masterminds out! :paladin:

Delta!

Edited by Delta!

No bills but coins, but somehow fitting I think:

Dime_3000J_f1.jpg

As a student (maths, second specialization physics) I was fascinated in high energy magnetic fields. We did several blackouts to the physics laboratories when trying to re-produce shrunken coins we found in a magazine.

capturedlightning.com is a good english language site for coin shrinking.

The idea is to use high magnetic power from outside the coin-disc and press the coin together: its radius gets smaller but it has a higher height after the shrinking.

Edit wonder what will happen if trying to buy something with these coins.

• 3 weeks later...

gogo

on the ellen show, they had a photo posted: The photo is a sign taped to a retail store's door: We no longer accept cash from underwear.

Her comment is, "One person ruins it for the rest of us."

Yiiiiiiiieeeee.

(...and I've used a money belt... but in India, I stored some of my money in my shoes, under the orthopedic inserts... I put some money once (bills) in my back pocket to pay the taxi, and my friend there said: don't pull the money you're giving the taxi driver out of there... put it in your breast pocket...)

Edited by FrostElfGuard