Speckzwetschgen - plums and bacon

chattius

We have countless (I am lying, 158) fruit trees of all different sorts. 12 of them are plums in different variations. Last to be harvested are Zwetschgen, a small robust plum close to the wild ones. We like them to do sour yeast dough cakes. When they are over-ripe they are too sweet for cakes for our taste.

A nice way to use these over-ripe plums is to grill them at a party.

Remove the stone/core, replace it with either an olive, almond, peanut, piece of cheese, Sauerkraut, ...

Wrap a piece of bacon around them and fix them with toothpicks of different types. Once grilled (bacon really cross and crispy, cheese running) we we put little flags on the toothpicks to know what type of filling they have: german flag for Sauerkraut, US for pea-nut, greek for olive, UK for using plums sucked up with Cherry, swiss for cheese ...

rezept-speck-pflaumen-oder-pflaume-im-speckmantel.jpg

zahnstocher_gemischt.JPG

I'm jealous Chattius, no orchard here for us, nothing but the grocery shelves filled with the same ole same ole stuffs :P

I love the mix of plum and bacon. Sweet and savory is an all the rage kind of break out these days, with even bacon making it's appearance on ice cream.

I'll take two orders of your hors d'oeuvres ... extra Canadian maple syrup laced upon mine please!

:chef:

gogo

Not too much sugar for you gogo!

Those plums and bacon wrapps sounds goooood Chattius, I'll take mine with cheese, and the sherry soaked, and the sauerkraut stuffed ones. But *shudder* please, no olives. :thumbsup:

Delta!

Not too much sugar for you gogo!

Those plums and bacon wrapps sounds goooood Chattius, I'll take mine with cheese, and the sherry soaked, and the sauerkraut stuffed ones. But *shudder* please, no olives. :thumbsup:

Delta!

lol, I know re the sugar! That's why topics like these are so good to me, I get to live almost-vicariously through someone else's stories!

:4rofl:

gogo

p.s. You know jailbar, after you mentionned how particularly good they looked, I gave 'em again a second glance over, with a quick viewing they look like mini-buns with cinnamon drizzle on top ^^

• 7 months later...

After plums ,this thread, and eastereggs , easteregg thread, wrapped with bacon today is another variant. Our oldest will visit university in summer and so we do some easy and cheap recipes which can be done in a student home: 8 people sharing one kitchen.

Potato, unskinned, a deep cut along their long side so hat they open a bit but are not halved. Fill the cut wirh salt, pepper and rosemary. Wrap bacon around and fix with fat-nets. So not much extra oil is needed. Serve with Kraeuterquark and tomatos. Kraeuter is herbs and Quark a sort of soft cheese, so just fine cut herbs mixed into the cheese. Pictures are from a german recipe page and sing needles for fixing.

353618-big-leckere-kartoffeln-im-speckmantel.jpg

176104-big-leckere-kartoffeln-im-speckmantel.jpg