Dragon Mage Magic Staff build?

DaveO

After thinking over this build and the intent, I do agree that Mentalism Focus should be taken and not Lore. You could argue that Spell Resistance could be replaced by choosing Kybele to heal if needed. Shield Lore could possibly be added back or Damage Lore. Damage Lore seems to be a better choice due to it impacting multiple combat arts of the Dragon Mage as well as damage inflicted from the ranged attack.

I didn't realize it back then, but to me now the big benefit of the Lore is the increased casting speed. I've grown a bit wiser in Sacred 2 since my last posts in this thread. However, even so, I'd still agree you should take the Focus for a staff-user.

Those alternate skills all sound good to me. Shield Lore especially is important because once higher level shields start dropping, they will penalize your attack speed without the skill. This won't be an issue if using two-handed staves of course.

I'm actually hoping some of my new sets can help out a weapon-using Dragon Mage. I did some Niobium runs in Artamark and Nor Plat with the full Chaoskampf set and a magic staff/shield setup. It was...decent, all things considered. The main problem is crowd control. The DM could really use a hybrid damage combat art like the High Elf's Magic Coup, that could be modded for some splash damage.

Edited by Flix

I posted once that I changed the buggy experience mod of the companion to add 10+0,3% per ca level as weapon splash damage. Exploding shots are way more fun, and it s just 50% end game how I did it

• Like! 1

I posted once that I changed the buggy experience mod of the companion to add 10+0,3% per ca level as weapon splash damage. Exploding shots are way more fun, and it s just 50% end game how I did it

That's a good idea, and very simple to execute. I like it a lot. I was actually thinking more grandiose plans, like replacing a CA with one like Magic Coup, and adding some attack-based bonuses to Combat Trance. Something to boost the Dragon Mage's melee/ranged powers overall. It's only a fantasy right now though.

• 2 years later...

How many times have I thought and re-thought this build? More times than I could probably count. With more understanding and experience playing the game, here are hopefully the final skills and why I choose them.

2. Magic Staffs - Ranged attack ASAP
3. Tactics - Increased Damage from magic staff attacks
5. Elemental Magic Lore - Mod to get stun early
8. Dragon Magic Focus - Intelligence boost for more spell and staff damage
12. Armor - Sets start to become available
18. Concentration - Two spell buffs, eventually up to three
25. Mentalism Lore - Increased physical damage resistance
35. Dragon Magic Lore - Increased damage, plus needed mods for Dragon Strike and Eternal Fire
50. Constituion - Added hitpoint bonus
65. Ancient Magic - Cut thru enemy resistance, plus increase spell damage

You may be asking why no spell resistance? With the Familiar increase in Willpower, I believe there will be enough defense against the life leech spell attacks in Niobium Blood Forest.

• Like! 1
  • 4 years later...

I decided to try yet another revision to skills for this build into the Enhanced Edition to see how it performs vs Community Patch.

2 - Magic Staff

3 - Tactics

5 - Elemental Magic Focus - Gust of Wind stun and attempt to maximize spell power from the spells

8 - Armor Lore

12 - Mentalism Focus - Maximize rune usage and buff protection

18 - Dragon Magic Lore

25 - Concentration

35 - Dragon Magic Focus

50 - Constitution

65 - Ancient Magic - Increase spell power and reduce enemy spell resistance

Unfortunately, with this skill choice I don't see any place for Shield Lore to be a part of the build.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, with the new changes from EE and some additional thought below will be my final skill choices:

2 - Magic Staff

3 - Tectics

5 - Elemental Magic Focus

8 - Concentration

12 - Armor Lore

18 - Mentalism Focus

25 - Dragon Magic Focus

35 - Shield Lore

50 - Constitution

65 - Ancient Magic

With just the focuses, the character should still be able to do well. I'll probably master concentration first to have the three focuses benefit even better. 

It's funny reading my comments from 2014, where modding the game was a distant dream.

The Alt. spells module should make the Dragon Mage into an absolute beast with Magic Staves, since it will add Dragon's Wrath and Elemental Strike to the lineup.

11 hours ago, Flix said:

It's funny reading my comments from 2014, where modding the game was a distant dream.

The Alt. spells module should make the Dragon Mage into an absolute beast with Magic Staves, since it will add Dragon's Wrath and Elemental Strike to the lineup.

My first thought when the dragon mage came out was that he needed a bit more melee power- perhaps 'splash-damage' would be nice for my Sohei. So I changed the useless +x%experience from the companion into splash damage.

Todays it is a lot of difference between alternative spells and normal. To make maximum damage with an 'elemental strike'-build elemental lore should be chosen. Thats why I asked if he plays with alt module.

• 2 months later...