Get on an XBOX 360 or the PC? Thoughts?

Its only a $10 difference but the download/install process for the PC seems to be a bit cumbersome I wonder if I want to dive in with all that. Any thoughts on the PC version? Worth it? Issues that might disuade me? How's 2 player local? My my wife likes these games but I built her a PC that surely meets the recommended specs, but I really don't want to download this puppy twice!

Thanks for the feedback and help.

I have both ps3 and Ice and Blood. Of the two, I would pick Ice and Blood in a second. Some people have issues with the PC version, but all I normally see is that it crashes when I exit the game. The console has the advantage of local coop, but I have never done it so I cannot say how well it works. AFAIK, you can run the PC version on two machines and play a LAN coop game.

I have it on the xbox 360 and on the pc..I prefer the pc Ice and Blood version, because I level up faster and find more valuable and unique things whereas on the xbox...they are extremely rare..

Given the choice I would go for the PC version (I own the console version), plenty of bugs have been fixed, more content, more bosses.

The console versions are badly bugged, blacksmith doesn't work, alchemy is unpractical, some CAs doesn't work as intended, on 360 no free online gaming, less unique, etc.

There is also the issue about how you aim your CA, they did a good job but it's no where near as convenient as on PC and the choice they made can have significant effect on the damages output.

On PC things are way better, it's even possible to accelerate (a cheat) the leveling speed which if you consider how time consuming this kind of game is not that much of a cheat... (I find default speed ok in early level but it slow down way to much after that, only my pov).

You can back-up a character at multiple point into its life.

really there is no question: PC is the way to go :)

• Like! 1

Heya, Roanoake...

The others have given good points to spring for the PC version... and I agree with them having played only the console verison there are many things that make it not even in the same league as the PC version (plus expansion and Community patches!).

However, there are some advantages for the console version...

*plug and play... not enough can be said about the issues some people have just installing this game, this is the #1 reason by far to go for the console.

*local (ie LAN) co-operative play... 2 players on the same screen isn't perfect, but it does work just fine... in campaign mode. Freeworld is another story.

*gamepad... I love the gamepad for the consoles... intuitive and easy to learn whereas the mouse/keyboard takes some getting used to.

Not really any reason listed here that would make me want to play on the console version if there was only a small monetary difference... but I thought I'd list some kind of argument for the consoles 8/

I've only properly played the game on console and there are a number of issues that could be corrected, but it's plug and play as essjayehm states, which is great.

But my mouth waters every time there is new discussions about some CM patch. Ice & Blood + CM Patch would be my 1st choice...

I've only properly played the game on console and there are a number of issues that could be corrected, but it's plug and play as essjayehm states, which is great.

But my mouth waters every time there is new discussions about some CM patch. Ice & Blood + CM Patch would be my 1st choice...

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm wondering if I'm really hamstringing myself if I just get this for the Fallen Angel release (plus patches, CM and otherwise) and not the Blood & Ice. Is there THAT much to the expansion that makes it a must have? Would I miss out on so much that I should plop down another $20 basically? I'm also getting an impression that the online realm for PC isn't that vibrant anymore. That's not such a huge deal for me, b/c I plan to mostly play lan co-op with my wife on two pc's. I know I can do that with just one copy, but not sure if I can with the one copy if we both play online saved characters on the servers. I guess if I get the UK version (which is sold here) I can only play on UK servers too. Are the US servers even more sparce?

Thoughts?

Thanks again all!

Personally, I would list the console controller near the top of the list of reasons to go pc, but that is just my opinion.

The CM patch only works with Ice and Blood.

AFAIK, you can install the same licensed copy of Ice and Blood on two pc's and play LAN coop, but only one pc at a time can play online.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm wondering if I'm really hamstringing myself if I just get this for the Fallen Angel release (plus patches, CM and otherwise) and not the Blood & Ice. Is there THAT much to the expansion that makes it a must have? Would I miss out on so much that I should plop down another $20 basically? I'm also getting an impression that the online realm for PC isn't that vibrant anymore. That's not such a huge deal for me, b/c I plan to mostly play lan co-op with my wife on two pc's. I know I can do that with just one copy, but not sure if I can with the one copy if we both play online saved characters on the servers. I guess if I get the UK version (which is sold here) I can only play on UK servers too. Are the US servers even more sparce?

Thoughts?

Thanks again all!

Well, if the game was only just released and there were no patches to mention, then I would say that you would be 'none the wiser' and playing couch co-op on console will probably be your best choice. You'll likely not miss out on the Sacred experience and it will take a loooooong time just to finish the game the 1st time 'round if you go exploring every nook and cranny for side quests & bosses. there is a ton of content on the original release and you won't be disappointed going the console route. It's only when you get to seeing all the great stuff the CM guys are doing with the pc version that you wish you could have a bite of the fun, but I've not gone and gnawed by wrists in spite of it. I regularly play Sacred on PS3 and I'm still enjoying the game immensely and still trying out various builds.

The console controller has it's pros and cons. I like the movement with the controller and in general all actions are just 1 or 2 clicks away.

I dislike the inventory on the console - or rather the inventory organizing.

I dislike the ranged attack on the console - pc is just point and click, but console is click move... mooooove..... mooooooooooove aaaaand release!

I dislike that on console you have to assign weapons to buttons and would sometimes get all mixed up about which button has which weapons assigned to them. But I normally only assign 2 slots to weapons and my primary attack would be my stock attack CA, like pelting strikes = X.

All in all I'm very happy with the game on console just the way it is. Ice & Blood would have been nice, CA patch would have been awesome, but it remains the same addictive kill/loot/level up, rinse and repeat.

IF you want the Ice and Blood expansion, then you have to get the UK version. The US version and servers only handle Fallen Angel. I have seen some activity on the UK servers, but it's not heavily populated most of the time. If you just want local co-op, then one version of the game should work. I've played both versions of Sacred 2, and more of my time was spent when the game added Ice and Blood. This was because most of the people playing online have moved over to Ice and Blood versus Fallen Angel. The question you need to ask yourself is whether one additional character, some additional sets, and the Community Patch are worth the investment. You will need to find the patches, and hopefully DarkMatters has them hosted somewhere since patching from the base version of the game requires patches that are a bit tricky to track down. Ice and Blood also has a carrier imp that can be called to your location at any time and can be used in Single Player. Just the imp alone is worth the investment to me for Ice and Blood. I've played with Elite Textures and lowered display settings on an older machine. I don't see much that Elite Textures adds that is not covered by the highest setting.

Well, if the game was only just released and there were no patches to mention, then I would say that you would be 'none the wiser' and playing couch co-op on console will probably be your best choice. You'll likely not miss out on the Sacred experience and it will take a loooooong time just to finish the game the 1st time 'round if you go exploring every nook and cranny for side quests & bosses. there is a ton of content on the original release and you won't be disappointed going the console route. It's only when you get to seeing all the great stuff the CM guys are doing with the pc version that you wish you could have a bite of the fun, but I've not gone and gnawed by wrists in spite of it. I regularly play Sacred on PS3 and I'm still enjoying the game immensely and still trying out various builds.

The console controller has it's pros and cons. I like the movement with the controller and in general all actions are just 1 or 2 clicks away.

I dislike the inventory on the console - or rather the inventory organizing.

I dislike the ranged attack on the console - pc is just point and click, but console is click move... mooooove..... mooooooooooove aaaaand release!

I dislike that on console you have to assign weapons to buttons and would sometimes get all mixed up about which button has which weapons assigned to them. But I normally only assign 2 slots to weapons and my primary attack would be my stock attack CA, like pelting strikes = X.

All in all I'm very happy with the game on console just the way it is. Ice & Blood would have been nice, CA patch would have been awesome, but it remains the same addictive kill/loot/level up, rinse and repeat.

Oh I completely agree with that, inventory is a mess, basically my chest is such a mess that I can't rely on it. It's such a pain to find an item in it...

Oh I completely agree with that, inventory is a mess, basically my chest is such a mess that I can't rely on it. It's such a pain to find an item in it...

The Hero Chest seems overwhelming at first, until you know what the underlying organization is, which I've detailed here: http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Hero_Chest

Hope that helps reduce some of the confusion.

As for contribution to the original topic: I'm highly biased towards the console version. I have a strong bias towards the controller for my playstyle and preferences (to the point that if there wasn't a console alternative, I probably wouldn't be playing the game), my friends/relatives all play on the PS3 version (and don't have decent PCs), and I just started playing the game in 3D (well, 2D upscaled to 3D, which is actually better than it sounds) on a 55" LED.

That being stated: If the PC version fits you, then I would strongly recommend the PC version over the console version, along with getting Ice and Blood. Much more content leads to a larger addiction. :)

Edited by Mystix123