Dark Souls coming out

The game company "From Software" are developing the spiritual successor to Demon's souls as we speak. They might already be underway with testing it right now.

It is due for release in October, probably around halloween, haha.

If you have played Demon's souls on PS3, you probably know how this new game will look and feel.

There already exists a ton of screenshots for Dark souls, and some trailers.

This time around, Xbox 360 users will also get a taste of dea.. I mean a brilliant game.

Because if I should judge it from the previous game, I'd say this one will be a very good RPG, perhaps even better than Demon's souls, so go out there and buy it! (or pre-order)

It is said to be considerably HARDER than Demon's souls.

Yes, you heard me. Harder!

If you struggled with DS, you will probably have a real hard time with this one.

These are games in which you cannot just barge into a room of enemies and kill them all with a sweep of your weapon.

Every enemy requires different tactics to beat, and careful planning against the bigger enemies and the bosses is highly recommended.

And oh, you can also be invaded by another player over the internet.

Imagine you have just beat an area of enemies within an inch of your life, only to see the message "you are being invaded" on the screen, followed by an intense battle between you and another player.

If you are a console owner and an RPG-fan, there is no reason for you not to get this game.

I have played alot of Demon's souls, and if Dark souls is anywhere near the quality of that game, you can expect a challenging game that is highly rewarding in graphic, gameplay, music, loot, and replay value.

I will post some of my favourite themes from DS on my video game music thread.

Shouldn't be too hard to do, can finish one playthrough in as little as 20 hours (I'm guessing)if you don't bother with hacking/sneaking. Also, you can (I believe) see all the endings in one playthrough by saving right before the end of the game. I'd say it mostly depends on your playstyle, might take a while if you want to sneak through the whole thing lol, got impatient and started being aggressive with some hacking in the last 3rd or 4th of the game.

Ah I see.

Anyway, I think I would put Deus Ex down for the duration I play Dark Souls.

I bought Demon's souls when it got cheap, so many people was done playing it.

I can't invade games or help others anymore. Everyone have moved on it seems.

Also, I remember people saying Demon's souls was so hard.

Can't really agree there... until I tried the second playthrough.

Looks like a vitaly stat of 25 isn't sufficient against 40% harder enemies. Haha.

lol, yeah, later playthroughs get crazy, dragon god on 4th playthrough kills me in 1 hit w/his fire breath, even with complete suit of fire resist equipment and warding (tower knight spell) active. Guess the difficulty also depends on play style (based on my experience making a pure magic character and then a pure melee character I believe it is easier to use magic/ranged[?] than melee). Wondering how they'll handle dual wielding in dark souls (in demon's souls it seemed that dual wielding didn't have any particular advantages over shield & sword, other than maybe a passive effect on your off hand weapon, like morion blade/parrying dagger and I think I'd rather have a viable block than a passive buff).

I know what you mean.

I have a pure melee build myself.

Once I was invaded twice in a row by some bored players I guess, haha.

With all their flashy equipment and huge shields, you know how I killed them?

With my simple level 10 short spear.

Believe me, that one nails all. (The two handed heavy attack, that is.)

I am also excited to find out what they have changed in Dark Souls.

Demon's Souls was a very good RPG. I loved how you could mix your weapons and such.

Like if you wanted to dual-wield shields, you could.

More games should have that function I think. It gives the player alot more freedom to mix all kinds of equipment.

yeah, fun dual wielding a sword & catalyst, or shield and catalyst lol. Think my all time favorite thing to do though, was use blind/large sword of moonlight (completely ignore shields) on black phantoms, watch them freak out when their tower shields don't work :evil: . Hoping they might at new moves for dual wield (maybe moves utilizing both weapons like those dual wielding skeletons). If you could do punches/effective attacks with shields I think it'd be fun to do a dual shields run :D.

To be honest, while I absolutely love Demon's Souls, I don't think I'm going to buy this. Everything that I've seen makes Dark Souls look kind of samey. I still haven't beaten Demon's Souls since I've been busy with school, but I don't see much of a reason to get this considering it looks almost exactly the same. I suppose if you've beaten it and are looking for more DS-esque fun though, it could be a good buy. I think I'll just stick with Demon's Souls though, haha.

Just caught this topic. Oh man, the first fifteen seconds of that trailer are amazing. Light effects, camera angle, the panning...yum! And that idea of being invaded by a player with that announcement, wild!

:viking:

gogo

looks like the scale of the enemies is getting bigger in this one too (think it'd be cool to have a real fight with something the size of the storm king [without something the the storm ruler sword, though I think you can fight him without it? never tried though]) and is it just me or does it look like there might be some more exploration/more openly traversible environments in this one? Also, guess demon's souls players will never know what was beyond that broken 6th archstone, lol. Was hoping it'd get fixed at some point.

From the screenshots I have seen, it definately looks more open worlded.

And by the way, I just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I've been sneaking and hacking through the entire game, and it took me DAYS.

Right now I'm so tired of it that I won't touch it for many months, perhaps years.

I guess Dark Souls and Skyrim is next for me.

Also, Rndm, I beat stormking witouth the sword in Demon Souls.

Just take shelter behind a rock and shoot him with arrows.

Hope it's how it looks then lol, think the first one suffered a little from linear and claustrophobic environments. They were good atmoshpherically, but I prefer more open environments (tall towers of latria [still linear, but looked very vast and open], and the most open environment was [imo] the swamp, where you don't really want to explore lol). Yeah, I thought sneaking felt a bit cooler, but took way too long waiting for the right gap in guard patrols, and then the reloading when you get spotted...think I'd be doing an aggressive/slightly sneaky playthrough next, though I also don't feel like playing it again for a while haha. Seems like that'd take a lot longer than using storm ruler (especially on subsequent playthroughs). Though the storm ruler also makes that the best spot to grind for souls imo (aside from exploiting glitches/duping legendary souls, though I don't believe the latter is possible any more).

picked it up tuesday, and gotta say they delivered on the "harder than demon's souls" part, died a bunch and I'm not sure how far into the first area (Undead Burg/Parish) I am. definitely more open than demon's souls, as there are no archstones that teleport you to self contained levels, so far it's all one big area with different paths through. Bonfires act much the same as the nexus from the demon's souls, as it restores your health, you can level up your stats at them, repair your armor, etc. However, every time you rest at a bonfire it respawns all of the normal enemies (bosses/dark knights do not respawn). Also, instead of becoming a spirit when you die you are "hollowed", when in Hollowed status you look undead (which actually looks cooler than your living/human form imo lol). You can still only summon other players while in "human" status, however you can be summoned even while "human" (though from what I hear the servers need work as players can only see people summon points if that person's ping is close to theirs, rather than in demon's souls where a summon point was visible to everyone who was playing online). Another addition is that of Estus Flasks, these are your healing items, the lowest number in a stack you can have is 5, and these are your -only- hp restoration items (at least so far as I've seen), though they are recharged every time you rest at a bonfire. You can increase the number you have in a stack by offering Humanity at a bonfire, though this can only be done while you're in a Human state. You can still invade other players' worlds, though now it seems that invasion is limited to consumable items rather than an infinitely useable item. I've also heard that dropping items in a level and waiting til they disappear/resting at a bonfire will create "Vagrants", some kind of enemy, in your own server or possibly other peoples' servers. Sadly, no extra functionality for dual wielding seems to have been added. Almost forgot, appears you can join different groups (Covenants) in Dark Souls, it also appears that this is the only way to learn spells/miracles, as one npc was only willing to teach me miracles after I'd joined his group, and it appears that you have a rank within each covenant, as he wouldn't divulge details about his group's working unless I offered a certain amount of souls. All in all I'd say it's better than demon's souls in nearly every way so far.

That sounds very interesting indeed. I can't pick it up yet, as I'm a little short on cash.

The hollow form sounds pretty cool, can't wait to see that in action.

I wonder, have they included a mace and chain in this game?

So few games have that, even though it's a quite basic medieval weapon.

chain-mace.jpg

Would be awesome if they did, have only seen maces/morning stars so far though (so far they don't seem to have added new weapon types, just changed some attack animations slightly). One piece of advice I'd give is to not be a wanderer starting out (evidently my armor is not as good as a thief's starting armor) and say that it seems the Master Key Gift (in character creation you choose a special item to start with from a set list of stuff, like healing items, binoculars, ring that improves health, etc.) , an item which is reusable and opens any basic lock, is one of the more useful Gifts to start with as in the first area there are many doors that cannot be opened until you obtain the keys from certain foes (unless of course you have the Master Key). I've also had to do a lot more luring out in this game as opposed to dark souls, as a group of even the most basic enemies can do massive damage if they surround you (whereas you could pretty much barrel right through the basic enemies in boletaria's first area). Have not yet tried using dual shields, though from my experience with dual scimitars dual wielding just looks cool without offering any real combat advantage. It also appears that some special enemies can backstab players in this game (whereas I think only the Old Monk boss in demon's souls was able to do that).

That sounds very interesting indeed. I can't pick it up yet, as I'm a little short on cash.

chain-mace.jpg

Hey... Civ 4 has Macemen... and nice-looking mace-swinging animations to boot!

But, I see your point... cool weapon but I wouldn't want to swing one around too much, I'm kinda clumsy that way :whistle:

Nurse: So, how did you get this spiky ball imbeded in your leg...

Me: Mace practice?

:paladin:

On a somewhat more related note: Is this game anything like 99 Knights.. the original or sequel? Don't know if anyone else played that game, but the descriptons seem simiar.

chain-mace.jpg

Mmm, flails :cool:

I hear you there, almost no games contains these great weapons, and it's shame IMO.

Hopefully Diablo 3 will have flails/scourges, and from what I read it will, yay!

Yes, it surely is a shame that SO many games totally neglects the mace and chain/flail.

Imagine dual-wielding those in a heated battle. Swords are a bit overrated, haha.

Even Diablo 2 were able to put that animation together in 2000, so why not do it again?

Btw, I found an old game which were made by the same people that did Demon's souls and Dark souls.

They are called "From Software" and have been releasing titles for PS1 and PS2 long before they ever thought of moving to PS3.

Here's a video of the game "Shadow Tower" which is a dungeon crawler in the same style as Demon's souls and Dark souls, only with a first person view.

A mace is a great idea. I can see this being tough to animate well in a game though. A fair bit of physics, but the visceral impact must be great.

Bring it on!

:paladin:

gogo

Another new feature in Dark Souls (and one of the best things they added imo) is the Covenant system. There are a total of 9 Covenants (groups in game that have their own code/goals/special items) that you can join, some are easy to find and join while others require finding it through luck or taking a specific story route to get. Some are good, some are evil, and some are neutral. The different groups are based around different types of gameplay, be it co-op, PvE or PvP with most having awesome rewards for sticking with the covenant until a higher rank. Here's a link to the wiki page explaining them all:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Covenants

Edited by Rndm

That sounds cool.

I'd like to follow that link, but I have decided not to read anything until I actually finish the game.

Last time I played Demon's souls, I read about all kinds of info on the wikia, which contained terrible spoilers at times.

I wouldn't want that to happen again, you know.

Edited by Sirius

Yeah, probably a good choice, there are a few spoiler there haha. Though some of them can be hard to find/join if you don't already know where they are/what the requirements for joining are.

Yeah, probably a good choice, there are a few spoiler there haha. Though some of them can be hard to find/join if you don't already know where they are/what the requirements for joining are.

If it ever comes to that, I will surely look it up on the interwebs.

It's the same with the fallout games. Don't look there, unless you've already finished the game.

Damn those spoilers...

spoiler.jpg

Edited by Sirius

lol, well I think the fallout wiki is better about spoiler than the dark souls wiki (you have to click show X to see the story info), whereas they just say "you find this after you kill X and run through Y". Though there really isn't a whole lot of story to be ruined in Dark souls (kind of like demon's souls, you're told what's going on in the beginning and then get tidbits here and there til the end). There is one specific covenant that is easy to miss though (if you don't do the correct story choices it's gone til next playthrough :sigh: ).