Easy meals

I am not sure what is available around the world,, anyhow here is a tasty easy meal. If you can't buy pesto etc in cans then it is a tasty hard meal :D

Can of pesto

Can of black olives

Diced tomato

Jar of artichokes

Chicken

Salt and Pepper

Olive oil

Pasta of choice

Heat skillet add oil and heat oil add chopped chicken breast. I use boneless so I omit the step to debone. Brown. Add about 2 tablespoons of water and the jar of pesto sauce so it looks like enough sauce. Let the water combine and let it bubble a bit to heaat. Add olives, tomatoe, and artichokes. If you can find some more pungent olives than the regular it really adds a lot. But anyhow then keep warm until your pasta can be added.

Easy?

Chicken: Open backdoor, get a hand axe, catch hen, slaughter hen, ... and that is just the chicken part

Pasta: Takes a while to make your own one using a noodle press somewhere

Olive oil: Olives are not growing in my area, would have to use a search engine for a local replacement: beech seeds, nutty aroma for the oil, but carefully roasting needed to remove the poison....

Tomatoes: time period in garden is over, rose hips as replacement?

Okay some joking, but except salt and peppernone of it is stored at our kitchen :)

We have ethnic sections to our supermarkets. *if* its at your supermarket it just takes 10 minutes to cook chicken while boiling pasta. Open a bunch of jars/cans and combine. It all depends on what you have available at your local market.. Are you in a rural area, chattius?

Supermarket is only 17 Kilometers, but.... First 10 Kilometers are bUmPy\JuMpY countryroads where I can only go 5-20 kilometers an hour with famiily van, Thats why I Most offen use a Motorbike or bicycle to reach work.

These are no donuts:

4829_600x377.jpg

watermark_F3197802jpg_img_308x0.jpg

Fritierte Apfelringe 0 fried apple-rings?

4 pounds apples, unskin, remove core with a cutting pipe, cut apples in rings

use egg, flour, milk (or beer for adults), to do a coat around the rings,fry the rings, pour powder sugar and cinnamonon them and eat them hot, best with some vanilla ice

You can modify recipe as in picture above and add hacked almonds to the coat (then no cinnamon), do a vanilla sauce, ...

Yummy recipe now the apples are ripe if sudden visits from other kids, parents or friends happen.

Supermarket is only 17 Kilometers, but.... First 10 Kilometers are bUmPy\JuMpY countryroads where I can only go 5-20 kilometers an hour with famiily van, Thats why I Most offen use a Motorbike or bicycle to reach work.

These are no donuts:

4829_600x377.jpg

watermark_F3197802jpg_img_308x0.jpg

Fritierte Apfelringe 0 fried apple-rings?

4 pounds apples, unskin, remove core with a cutting pipe, cut apples in rings

use egg, flour, milk (or beer for adults), to do a coat around the rings,fry the rings, pour powder sugar and cinnamonon them and eat them hot, best with some vanilla ice

You can modify recipe as in picture above and add hacked almonds to the coat (then no cinnamon), do a vanilla sauce, ...

Yummy recipe now the apples are ripe if sudden visits from other kids, parents or friends happen.

OOOH yummy yum! those apple rings looks delicious Chattius! :thumbsup:

What about serving it with a honey butter sauce and cinnamon ice cream?

or rooibos and honey sorbet (rooibos and apple is a delicious combination!)

Delta!

Just experiment, I thnk I do rarely the same recipe twice. Different sort of apples, different stuff in refridgerator, having ice cream at home or not, with or without children, ....

Dusted, fried then do a chocolade coating with a mix of chocolade and CHILLI (I really like chilli chocolade taste) ...

Old robust apple sorts are best (the ones you use for cakes/pies), like Boskoop apple or our local Siebenschläfer...

Data base for german apple variants:

http://www.obstsortendatenbank.de/index.php?id1=cat&id2=0&img=&osi=0&osw=do&page=articles/cat_view.php&sel=2&show_ctr=0&show_id=0&show_nam=1&show_num=0&show_syn=1&tn=0&typ=a

Those look good. What roughly goes in the batter? The only problem is deep frying makes a big huge mess and waste.

My supermarket is five minutes away!

Another fast meal from my grocery:

Tortillas

Can of Enchillada sauce

Cheese

Chicken

Hot chili peppers

Grill chicken and cool. Mix with chili peppers and set in tortilla folded into an enchillada. Fill dish depending on size of meal how many serving. Cover with cheese. Pour can of sauce over the top. Bake 20 minutes till bubbling.. Not very healthy oh well.

It is lunch break and I have time to translate the recipe with the apple rings with almond. We do them a bit different, but it is just that you get the idea. Fried apple-rings can often be bought at small tends at x-mas markets when you walk the mall and drink glow-wine and eat something hot, like roasted chestnuts or the apple rings.

http://www.lecker.de/rezept/791360/Frittierte-Apfelringe.html

Zutaten für ca. 25 Stück: required for around 25 pieces

4 Eier (Größe M) = 4 medium sized eggs

1 Päckchen Vanillin-Zucker = 2 eating spoon vanillin sugar

1 Prise Salz = a bit salt

225 g Mehl = 250gramm flour

1 Päckchen Puddingpulver „Vanille-Geschmack“ (für 500 ml Flüssigkeit; zum Kochen) = instant pudding powder for half litre milk, vanilla taste

2 TL Backpulver = 2 eating spoons baking powder

200 ml klarer Apfelsaft = 200 milli-litre apple juice

5 EL Mineralwasser = 5 eating spoons mineral water

250 g Mandelblättchenm= 250gramm almond plates?

5 Äpfel (à ca. 225 g, z. B. Boskop) = 5 apples around half a pound each

100 g Zucker = 100gramm sugar

1 TL Zimt = 1 tea spoon cinnamon

1,5 l Öl = 1.5 litres oil

Eier mit den Schneebesen des Handrührgerätes aufschlagen. Vanillin-Zucker und Salz unterrühren.

=twirl eggs, vanilin sugar and salt with an electrix mixer/twirler

Mehl, Puddingpulver und Backpulver mischen und sieben.

=mix and sieve flour, pudding powder and baking powder

Abwechselnd mit Apfelsaft und Mineralwasser unter die Eier rühren.

=add to the egg mix: some water or juice, then some flour mix, bit water/juice again, bit flour mix again, repeat till it is used up

150 g Mandelblättchen vorsichtig unterheben.

=use a spoon and carefully mix 150 gramm almond plates into the mix, try not to break them

Äpfel waschen, schälen. Mit einem Apfelausstecher das Kerngehäuse herausstechen und die Äpfel anschließend jeweils in 5 Ringe schneiden.

=wash and unskin apples, use an apple-core.remover, cut the apples into 5 rings each

Zucker und Zimt mischen.

= mix sugar and cinnamon

Öl in einem weiten Topf erhitzen.

= heat oil in a wide frying pot

Apfelringe nacheinander durch den Teig ziehen, darauf achten, dass Mandelblättchen hängen bleiben.

= move the rings through the batter and watch that everything is covered and the almond plates stick to the rings

Jeden Apfelring noch zusätzlich mit restlichen Mandelblättchen bestreuen.

= pour some of the not yet used almond plates on the batter of the rings

Je 3 Apfelringe in das heiße Öl geben und von beiden Seiten goldgelb frittieren.

= you can probably place 3 rings together in a normal sized frying pan, fry from both sides till golden

Mit einer Schaumkelle herausheben und die noch heißen Apfelringe sofort in Zucker-Zimtmischung wenden.

= use a big spoon with holes to get the fried rings out and turn them , while still hot, in the sugar/cinnamon mix

Wohl bekomm's! Bon appettit

A bit too early for x-mas markets, but I do not know the english word for the small tents where the warm snacks are sold.

weihnachtsmarkt_suedermarkt_e-bild.jpg

Same for all the other english words I do not know, feel free to correct or put english translations in.

I am not sure what is available around the world,, anyhow here is a tasty easy meal. If you can't buy pesto etc in cans then it is a tasty hard meal :D

Can of pesto

Can of black olives

Diced tomato

Jar of artichokes

Chicken

Salt and Pepper

Olive oil

Pasta of choice

Heat skillet add oil and heat oil add chopped chicken breast. I use boneless so I omit the step to debone. Brown. Add about 2 tablespoons of water and the jar of pesto sauce so it looks like enough sauce. Let the water combine and let it bubble a bit to heaat. Add olives, tomatoe, and artichokes. If you can find some more pungent olives than the regular it really adds a lot. But anyhow then keep warm until your pasta can be added.

I've never thought of making a sauce like that before, and very hungry right now!

:pirate:

What would be the game breaker here, the pesto or the artichokes

:)

gogo

I once got a recipe off a tomato can that was very similar to claudius' OP. Of course the point was to sell more of their italian style tomatoes.

Skillet chicken:

Cut boneless chicken into 1 inch chunks (2-3 cm). Roll in finely grated parmesan cheese to coat. Brown in a hot skillet in olive oil. Add one can of italian style diced tomatoes, one can italian style tomato paste, and one can sliced mushrooms. Simmer 10-15 minutes while cooking pasta.

I also like to do this:

Steak in wine sauce:

Cut decent quality steak into 1 inch cubes (I sometimes cheat and buy pre-cubed sirloin that's sold as "stew meat", typically it's good meat from various trimmings when they butcher). Put oil into a hot pan w/ some minced garlic (fresh is good but powder works too). Let the garlic saute briefly and then brown the steak taking care to not overcook. (Don't crowd the pan or it will steam instead of browning.) Last time I rubbed the meat w/ "Montreal steak seasoning" before cooking and it had a nice flavor.

Once the meat is all cooked and set aside in a dish... Deglaze your pan by adding a cup of beef broth (canned is fine, preferably no/low salt). In a measuring cup, to one cup of red wine (cooking wine is fine, you're not doing this for the alcohol) add a tablespoon of flour and beat w/ a fork until blended. Slowly stir the mixture into the beef broth. Simmer for several minutes. The longer you simmer, the thicker the sauce will be.

I recommend serving with mashed potatoes (red or new potates go well w/ it).

Edited by masteff

I think the pesto is needed but the artichoke can be left out.

Here is a similar recipe-

Halved Cherry tomato (or other tomato)

Pasta

Olive Oil

Can of black olives

Any fresh herb (optional, but this makes the dish!)

Vinegar (I like red wine vinegar.. you can use the OO and vinegar on salads/sandwhiches too)

Optional: parmesan cheese and/or pepperoni/ham etc (though if you have as is I think you can say you had a vegan meal :) )

Cook pasta and toss with olive oil enough to coat. In a bowl meanwhile cut the tomatoes and slice black olives and add (whatever looks right amount). Chop herbs and add and splash with vinegar. Add OO pasta and mix. Return to pot you had pasta with the water dumped out and just an empty pot. Heat on stove till the tomato is a little loose and warm. Enjoy!

Edited by claudius

Chattius enjoyed hearing the german words. My best friend in final year of highschool was an exchange student from germany. Also studied in college, german. Love roasted almonds..

Chattius. Freut mir deutsche Worter zu hoeren. Ein guter Freund im letzes Jahr Gymnasium war Austauschstudent bei mir. Er war einer Deutscher. Ich auch Deutsch im Uni gestudiert hab. Ich habe geraucht? Mandeln gern.

Ok I am showing off I am sure I made mistakes but its my best effort haha!

• 2 weeks later...

Since everyone in this thread hopefully has bought an apple corer now to make all these apple-chips and apple-rings-----

It's finally time to do some real dark kitchen, it's german, it's ugly, and it is tasting soooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooood;

Blutwurstbratäpfel (blood-sausage filled in roasted apples)

From a german recipe side:

19396-bigfix-bratapfel-mit-blutwurst.jpg19397-bigfix-bratapfel-mit-blutwurst.jpg

19398-bigfix-bratapfel-mit-blutwurst.jpg19399-bigfix-bratapfel-mit-blutwurst.jpg

Use apple-corer

Cut blood sausage, breadrolls, onions into quarter, add garlic, marjoran, butter

fill the apples

roast them

Or for kids: roasted apples filled with different cut nuts, raisins and rose-hip sirup, ....

I really think this time of the year is the season of the apple-corer :)

Our filled roasted apples are a bit different: the spple top is cut away as a cover first, then a bigger corer is applied, but not fully pierced through the whole apple:

bratapfel-cantuccini-hagebuttensauce.jpg

I always use to just throw a pizza or something else REAL easy into the oven, but sometimes I go all out.

Anyone tried pasta? Here we have something called pasta di parma, which I think means something like "pasta and cheese" in Italian.

It's basically pasta bits made from the same materials as spaghetti, and added cheese-sauce.

You can also add some meat if you like. Bacon tastes especially well mixed in.

27359.jpg

pasta di parma as I know it, contains and is named after the parma ham afaik. We like to do our noodles/pasta ourself and we often add potato, maronen(eatable chestnuts), buckwheat and other stuff to the raw noodle mass. So the noodle taste fits better to our local hand cheese, which is strong and smelling, or to boar ham which has a strong taste and needs strong tasting noodles, ...

I wouldn't do my own noodles if I would live alone, but with 5 kids and an au pair girl from norway we are 8 people. At these amounts a noodle machine saves a lot of time comapred to a Nudelholz, a small wooden pole used to roll over the noodle mass to fladden it.

17388_0.jpg

Potatoenoodles a la Chattius would look like:

212955-bigfix-kartoffelnudel-pfanne.jpg

The recipe is varying: chestnuts ripe or not, Bratwurst from butcher or selfmade from a road killed boar, ... The normal rural german cooking is like: do meat with the herbs from the animals living place and what it was eating.. So boar would eat chestnuts, mushrooms, potatos, ...

So a mass from flour, potatoe and eatable mushrooms would be pressed through the noodle machine 2-3 times. Each pressing you reduce the thickness. German noodles are in general thicker than italian noodles. Boil the noodles, roast onions, bratwurst cut into discs and mushrooms cut into small plates. Add the noodles, pour some bouillon brew and (some fruit wine when the youngest kids will be older) into the pan,boil at low heat...

Just made an easy meal the other night..

1 Cook pasta

2 Chop: brocoli, onion, garlic,olives (pit if needed).

3 Sautee number 2 for 5 minutes on medium in olive oil about one tablespoon per serving food.

4 Remove heat and add ham chopped up.

5 Splash with a little vinegar (I used white wine vin)

6 Add a little sugar about 1 tsp per serving portion.

Tested this recipe for 2 people and it was really good. Healthy and the small amount of ham goes a long way for flavoring. And the garlic!

The olives and vinegar in that sound good Claudius... Zing power!

It was actually SChot who finally managed to show that green olives are not evil.. and that they're in fact marvelously strong add ins to sauces and strf frys, you name it, for fast food prep on the go!

:superman:

:gogo:

An old family tradition:

Himmel und Erde

Heaven and Earth

As long as I can remember: end octobre/begin of november our family did Himmel und Erde. The recipe is named after it's main components: apples and potatos. Potato's are named Erdäpfel in several german regions which would translate as earth-apples. So the apple represents the heaven/sky and the potato the earth/ground. Equal mass of both is cut in pieces and boiled, sometimes we mash it (reasons below).

My grandma used to work up stuff which couldn't be stored in a clay ramped cellar (always around 4 celcius). Apples which weren't picked,but were fallen on ground, potato which got damage at harvest, ....

With the begin of nightfrost it is also the end of flies. So pigs could be butchered in the open without fear of maggots. When sausages were cooked some were in bad bowel, and broke up. So this time of year all comes together: Big amount of apples,potato which had to be worked up quickly, damaged sausages (mainly liver sausage or blood-sausage(blackpudding?)), .... So what is better than to do a recipe for it.

Mashed apple and potato, so you can't see that they were from damaged fruits, It is served with roasted sausage pieces (from the butchering) and a Speckzwiebelsosse is added. Speckzwiebelsosse: are onions roasted with fine dices of fatback and serves as a sauce. My grandma used fatback which wasn't white but had meat pieces in. So this fatback couldn't be used to make lard from it.

So this is a quite cheap recipe, it's quite quick and at least for our house: no need to drive to a supermarket for the components. Since we have a lot of different fruit trees we often replace some of the apple with pears, quinces, ...

not mashed and broken sausages

59824-bigfix-himmel-und-erde.jpg

mashed with onion rings, obviously intacts sauages cut into slices

7195-bigfix-himmel-und-erde.jpg

mashed with caramalized pear pieces and onion rings

204164-bigfix-himmel-und-erde.jpg

Hundred of variations possible. Once an cheap farmer meal to use up bad food quickly, you can now find it at 2 star restaurants.

I read with envy when I see the amazing amount of fresh produce you have available to you for creating wonderful dishes. As I don't have your beautiful trees, I can only say keep up with these posts of your family feeds, I'll think about them during my commercial breakfasts on weekends of a very normal (read as now boring :P)bacon and eggs^^

gogo

I wonder if your ham and eggs is similiar to the german Strammer Max. Recipe with picture here:

http://www.montefin.com/diet/low-carb-recipes/strammer-max-midnight-snack.html

P.s.: very short post, because I probably will do hard, in explaining how the food got his name into political correct english. So read the links, or even better try to it at a german restaurant. I like the local variant best, handkaese replacing the swiss cheese.

hmmm, well if I were saying the word ham and eggs or bacon eggs out loud, it would, at least as understood by me, be just a place with a few slices of ham or eggs upon it.

It's the basic of breakfasts here, something I actually like indulging with on weekends, specially the sausages for me which are treat

gogo

Cacciatore Chicken Sandwiches

Cook frozen breaded chicken patties according to package directions. Spread cut onion buns with butter and toast until brown. Place patties on buns, and top with heated pasta sauce, shredded Havarti cheese, and some sliced avocado.

Easy Spaghetti and Meatballs.

Tomato Tortellini

Cook frozen tortellini according to package directions along with frozen stir-fry peppers and onions. Drain and stir into heated spaghetti sauce along with a splash of heavy cream. Top with Parmesan or Romano cheese.

these are some of my personal favorites...!

whats yours:)