Here in Norway, Halloween is just a John Carpenter movie.. oh, and another excuse for the kids to get free sweets.

I understand that this holiday is probably biggest in the US, and perhaps Canada.

In other countries, it is nearly non-existant.

The toy stores around here fills their shops with skeletons, witches, gravestones, goblins and all that is spooky.

I can't really imagine they sell much of that stuff here in Scandinavia.

Halloween is not a legitimate holiday up here. It has been brought over from the US and copied miserably, with one single house having a single plastic pumpkin in their window, and that's it!

I must admit however, that it looks fun.

Oh, and by the way, f'ing neat halloween skin folks ;)

All Hallow's Eve is alive and kicking... er... reanimated and shambling? here in Canada. For me, personally, there is not enough reasons (ie 'holidays' recognised by the gov't) in a year to let loose and have fun... so Hallowe'en is a good one. Be it wet or dry (ie alcohol or no) or sweet or sour (collect or give away candy) or whatever floats your boat, it's party time come the 31st of October.

Happy Haunting!

Halloween is politics and religion and should be moderated out? Hmm, wait we have a halloween theme ;)

So just some facts for germany, hopefully free of personal feeling.

Halloween is 31 of octobre, same day Martin Luther nailed his thesis on the church door, which let to big wars were half of german population died,...So some german states have it as Reformation Day. It is rememberance day, kind of silent day,were dancing and celebrations are not wanted.

The area I live was in roman times borderland between germans, celts and romans. In the 30-years war 1618-1648 it was an area of confusion, since the kings dictated the religion for the people. Hundreds of small kingdoms and it could happen that one village had a catholic king and the surrounding villaged were protestants. Add that our area was a forest area with hidden valleys, so most people decided tolive mid in forests and hide , instead of fight for whatever king was in command for a year.

So what is halloween in my village?

Old germanic and celtics traditions remained a bit: The ghosts of the dead strive the land this day, so faces from fodder beets (no pumpkin area) were carved, illuminated with a candle and put into the Windaugen (holes in walls without glas, translated wind-eyes or in northern german speaking: Wind-Ow, ow slang for eye). People remained in face-protected houses while the ghosts were outside.

The local king at 1618 war was protestant so the village today is more or less still protestant. People hardly change the religion they were taught by their parents. So in pre-war time Halloween was done as Reformation-Day, no work, no celebrations, no dancing, it was a day to remember the deaths of millions.

Because old celtic/germanic tradition and protestant tradition did the day as a silent day,it more or less remained this status, even not protected by law in our state,

The town school my daughters visit has kids from all religions, so Halloween is always a compromise. Normally people of all religions here have an agreement that houses were halloween is celebrated put pumpkins at the front door. And we tell our kids only to ring at these doors and to not disturb people who prefer people who like halloween as a silent day.

It is not easy to write about local halloween traditions without touching politics and religion. Maybe in other countries it is more easy-

Yeah, it's what Sirius said about it. Xcept we use to have some themed parties that weekend, as it's no official holiday. only if it happens to be saturday, it's All Saint's day. Otherwise it's the following saturday.

I'll be sure to take batteries of my doorbell. I'm sure some kiddoes go trying to get some sweets that weekend. Which is when I usually sleep late.

Sure one must've spooked up a little when I swaggered there one halloween. Just from the cluthes of dreams, hair all messed up, with little glassed eyes and hoarse voice. :P

I spook 'em more than them. xD

Halloween is not a legitimate holiday up here. It has been brought over from the US and copied miserably, with one single house having a single plastic pumpkin in their window, and that's it!

I must admit however, that it looks fun.

Oh, and by the way, f'ing neat halloween skin folks ;)

Keep trying Sirius, eventually the sugar rushes will become overly addictive, and the holiday will work! :P

New skin DOES look awesome, there is an insane amount of detail an animation in it, lots of surprises

since its just not part of our culture.

Not yet

:devil:

All Hallow's Eve is alive and kicking... er... reanimated and shambling? here in Canada. For me, personally, there is not enough reasons (ie 'holidays' recognised by the gov't) in a year to let loose and have fun... so Hallowe'en is a good one. Be it wet or dry (ie alcohol or no) or sweet or sour (collect or give away candy) or whatever floats your boat, it's party time come the 31st of October.

Happy Haunting!

I got dressed up as a ball of yarn once by my Mom on halloween back in College, won a halloween prize and a six pack of beer! :drunkards:

Halloween is politics and religion and should be moderated out? Hmm, wait we have a halloween theme ;)

So just some facts for germany, hopefully free of personal feeling.

Halloween is 31 of octobre, same day Martin Luther nailed his thesis on the church door, which let to big wars were half of german population died,...So some german states have it as Reformation Day. It is rememberance day, kind of silent day,were dancing and celebrations are not wanted.

The area I live was in roman times borderland between germans, celts and romans. In the 30-years war 1618-1648 it was an area of confusion, since the kings dictated the religion for the people. Hundreds of small kingdoms and it could happen that one village had a catholic king and the surrounding villaged were protestants. Add that our area was a forest area with hidden valleys, so most people decided tolive mid in forests and hide , instead of fight for whatever king was in command for a year.

So what is halloween in my village?

Old germanic and celtics traditions remained a bit: The ghosts of the dead strive the land this day, so faces from fodder beets (no pumpkin area) were carved, illuminated with a candle and put into the Windaugen (holes in walls without glas, translated wind-eyes or in northern german speaking: Wind-Ow, ow slang for eye). People remained in face-protected houses while the ghosts were outside.

The local king at 1618 war was protestant so the village today is more or less still protestant. People hardly change the religion they were taught by their parents. So in pre-war time Halloween was done as Reformation-Day, no work, no celebrations, no dancing, it was a day to remember the deaths of millions.

Because old celtic/germanic tradition and protestant tradition did the day as a silent day,it more or less remained this status, even not protected by law in our state,

The town school my daughters visit has kids from all religions, so Halloween is always a compromise. Normally people of all religions here have an agreement that houses were halloween is celebrated put pumpkins at the front door. And we tell our kids only to ring at these doors and to not disturb people who prefer people who like halloween as a silent day.

It is not easy to write about local halloween traditions without touching politics and religion. Maybe in other countries it is more easy-

Yeah, this is a touchy holiday, but your posted info was a very interesting read for me, and I don't feel overly political after. I'd say you did a great job with the summary +++

Yeah, it's what Sirius said about it. Xcept we use to have some themed parties that weekend, as it's no official holiday. only if it happens to be saturday, it's All Saint's day. Otherwise it's the following saturday.

I'll be sure to take batteries of my doorbell. I'm sure some kiddoes go trying to get some sweets that weekend. Which is when I usually sleep late.

Sure one must've spooked up a little when I swaggered there one halloween. Just from the cluthes of dreams, hair all messed up, with little glassed eyes and hoarse voice. :P

I spook 'em more than them. xD

I've been kind of off and on last few halloweens...but after reading what you wrote, I'm kind of a bit inspired to maybe just get some cool treats, decorate the apartment door and be all happy and ghosty for the evening. Seeing kids dressed up and so insanely happy is great moment!

:bounce:

gogo

• 11 months later...

Oktoberfest

Here in this house we do our part in shielding ourselves from Corporate *profits* Holidays. The origin of most national holidays have great merit & should be remembered. However, what they have become is something different.

For years now we have decided to pick the lesser of evils. We celebrate Halloween via Oktoberfest.

Fellowship, Drink, Eat & be Merry.

I remain, :drinks:

Oktoberfest

Here in this house we do our part in shielding ourselves from Corporate *profits* Holidays. The origin of most national holidays have great merit & should be remembered. However, what they have become is something different.

For years now we have decided to pick the lesser of evils. We celebrate Halloween via Oktoberfest.

Fellowship, Drink, Eat & be Merry.

I remain, :drinks:

I know! Halloween can be so overwhelming!

This year I've decided to be the spirit starter at my work, and brought in (just yesterday) A huge bag of these... mini-pumpkins!

mini_pumpkins.jpg

The lady down the street (grocer's wife?) Was decidedly unfriendly, un-English/French and mal informed...but her husband walked in and saved the day! Told him I wanted to get a bunch for all the confreres at work, and he just picked up an armful and goes... ten bux?

I'm like...yeah!

I went to the pharmacy, picked up a pack of black sharpies (so expensive!)

mike-giant-sharpies.jpg

and then brought the whole thing into work... we had so much fun! I was able to arm-wrestle two of my friends at work (good artists) into doing charicaturs and cool drawings of the workers and everyone loved it.

This is halloween... not commercial Halloween but a spirited moment with lots of pumpkins, great laughter and a chill day.

..I just can hardly wait till next time for something weirdly cool too!

:oooo:

gogo