Hey gang.

Just wanted to let you all know that today I have set the forum up to disallow any and all search engine bots. Reasons being that they eat up resources such as bandwidth and also because of the risk that they might index and make available to the public classified information.

So as of today no new information on our forum will be able to be found using google or any other search engine.

Thanx. :)

Guest gogoblender

yeesh...those spiders were gross

lol, while it seem so many others are tryin go get more and more peeps at their forums, heh, we're tryin to keep out the madding crowds /rolleyes

We'll probably allow a few of the major search engines back on in a few weeks...so enjoy the spider free browsing.

And save on Raid

:)

gogo

Heya Schot I just read your post about blocking spiders n bots...but I am still seeing them...

So Hows about we close off the forum to guests like we have in the past?

Just an idea....and glad you are getting rid of them they do my head in lol

Oh I totally agree erialc. These bots are fast becoming a real pain. Thanks very much for the feedback on this erialc. I had lost the IP of this lil bugger and your info was useful in that I have had to put this bot in our banned list. Thanx also to esfan for your suggestions on msn. Gave me a good lead on what to search for. :)

I've done some extensive reading on bots today and have learned that there is a web standard "robots.txt" file that you can add to your site which can do many things. In particular, it can refuse all bots from accessing a site. I have done this but even more reading has taught me that there are many bots that disobey web standards and effectively access your site anyway.

There are several alternatives to blocking what they call "bad bots" but unfortunately I am not allowed to use these alternatives because of our TOS.

Soooooo. I'm just going to ban those buggers. Works just as well except for the fact that I'll have to ban them as they come...

So to those of us admining here I give full permission to shoot any bot on sight and then give'em a swift kick. Oh and send me there info so I can ban them, hehe.

Death to bad bots! /viking

Hmmm... Looks like despite my efforts the google.com bot continues to visit us. Not that I mind but it makes me question whether I set things up properly. /unsure

If anyone sees a bot other than google could y'all let me know here?

Thanx. :o

Ah well I suppsoe you know but I'll post all the same its a shame to waste the pic

Google.jpg

Googles not blocked

/rolleyes

~Doom

lol. I know! I can't believe they go through the pm's function. Caught google using it several times, grrrrr!

I slapped those buggers MSN and GOOGLE straight into the banned list! Hahaha! Mwahahaha! I ween! Psycho.gif