Food with creative names

chattius

While posting to this topic for some time I noticed that there are not much recipes with funny/creative names. Most recipe names are eithe4r self-descripting or named after a cook/restaurant.

IT SHOULD BE POSSIBLE TP ORDER THE RECIPES IN A RESTAURANT WITH THIS NAME. SO NO PHANTASY NAMES FOR YOUR OWN COOKING!

Wetzsteine - Whetstones

Old whetstones were cut from natural stone (above) while new ones are pressed. We call potato dumblings in shape of a natural long-used whetstone Wetzsteine (whetstones). Raw potatoe left for a while so they turn grey and get the colour. The potatoe mass is often centrifuged to reduce water and the dumplings are less soft. Recipe already posted in chain cooking thread: http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/17892-the-related-food-game/page__p__6919979__hl__wetzstein__fromsearch__1#entry6919979

wetzsteine.JPG

Laubfrösche - European tree frogs

Leaf rolls (in my area mangold) filled with fine cut meat, onions, or even a half Bratwurst). For small kids we often lay 4 smaller leaves for feet below the rolls and 2 carrot slices as eyes.

b6422242-5278-4640-86d0-d7bdfa93dbb5.jpg

Falscher Hase - false hare

falscherhase.jpg

Was done in afterwar years when meat was rare. A meat loaf was done with several boiled eggs inside to have more mass to cut in pieces. The recipe is only decorated as a hare for kids. You get it without any ornaments in a restaurant.

Himmel und Erde - Heaven and Earth

59824-bigfix-himmel-und-erde.jpg

A mix of apples (heaven) and potato (earth). Recipe posted allready here:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/19508-easy-meals/page__st__20

Kalter Hund - cold dog

Cookies and hot chocolade mixed and cooled, served as a cold cake. It looks like a nose of a bigger dog and is as cold.

800px-Kalte_schnauze_entstehung.jpg

Radler - cyclist

Germany beer brewing laws didn't allow beer mixes for centuries (till 1990ties). Rumours say that a pub was frequented by a lot of cyclists and was running low on beer. So the owner had the idea to longen it with lemonade. So glasses were filled half with beer and then the lemonade added, which was strangly allowed.

Strammer Max - stiff dick

strammer-max.jpg

Sandwich: fried sour dough bread, ham and fried egg. Said to invoke the powers of Aphrodite.

A creative topic and a good refreshing back from work read! I think Tree Frogs are my favorite, and I also think that a restaurant with a menu comprised of deliciously misnamed oddities like these could be a winner! :lol:

I love reading food history

:)

gogo

A Bloody Mary would fit in this thread, while

Tote Augen in Gelee - Dead eyes in jelly

111377-bigfix-tote-augen-in-gelee.jpg

95718-bigfix-tote-augen-in-gelee.jpg

would not qualify.

Lychees filled with red grapes (or cocktail cherries) and placed in red jell-o. Grapes fixed with toothpicks while jell-o is hardening. A nice little recipe for halloween, but it fails because: it isn't served as a regular food on restaurants. It is a name given by a creative person for a private party but not whide known yet. Perhaps in 100 years we can call it a classic and it would quality,but not yet.

The political correct name of Jell-o is Götterspeise in germany.

Götterspeise - food of the gods

It is Jell-o in english I think. Other more slang names but also known in whole germany: Wackelpudding - wobbling pudding which would be descripting, but Wackelpeter - wobbling Peter could qualify. Peter is used in several old german recipes. It stands for a lazy way of preparing food.

Verlorene Eier - lost eggs

Poached eggs are called verlorene Eier in germany. My grandma used to say: if a egg drops on ground you can still do a lost egg from it.

Spitzbubenessig - Four Thieves Vinegar

When the plague killed millions in europe, 4 robbers were stealing fromthe dying. They were caught and told that they wouldn't be hanged if they would tell the secret how they would survive having contact with plague victims. The recipe is even sold today, less often for recipes, more often to fight a cold.

• 4 weeks later...

Surprised no one has noted bubble and squeak, one of the top left-overs offerings. Basically left over tatties and veg from the day before. The veg was usually cabbage, but not limited to it.

bubblesqueak.jpg

The bubble and squeak is the green lump on the left of the plate, as part of a typical English breakfast.

Another is Thunder and lightning which we knew in one particular form, but which is a term used for a number of different things.

...for us it was clotted cream (or butter if cream was not available) stirred up with treacle and spread on bread, toast, scones. A favourite of the kids.

...the mix in the pic is another recipe for thunder and lightning for which there is a recipe on Internet.

thunderlightning.jpg

Other variants using this title seem to be:

...fried chick peas with lots of black pepper, of which I have not found a pic, but the following is a nasty looking variation

thunderlightning2.jpg

...there are several mixed drinks enjoying this name, and brandy sauce (Xmas) when flamed is called "thunder & lightning"

Gulaschkanone - goulash cannon

Okay this is not the name of a recipe but of the tool needed to do it. In world war I german soldiers named their field kitchens Gulaschkanone, because the long chimney looked like a gun barrel and it was mainly used to do goulash. Sad reason was that in world war I there was a big amount of horses used to track artillery or in silly cavalry attacks versus machine guns. So the dead horses ended mainly as goulash in a goulash cannon.

Our firefighter department got a new toy last year:

oster205.jpg

Before we used a field kitchen from the former east german army which I bought 2 month ago when the district sold its no longer used items. First usage will be when winterbreak start wednesday and the kids from relatives will spend a weak at our house. Spaghetti with tomato sauce, next day pea soup, then goulash,....

Cooking in a goulash cannon is big amounts at a relative high heat. So my question is: anyone got recipes? I was told that used field kitchens are rarely sold overseas, because US army build them mainly on trucks and not as a trailer. But here you see them at nearly every street festival, parties,....

I am a bit puzzled here Chattius.

To us goulash is beef stew, plain ordinary beef stew, though the Hungarians might be a bit hurt at that. So, firstly, why do you need a recipe? I would have thought that this would be straight every day cooking for you.

Secondly, the secret of a good stew is long slow cooking, the sort of thing we put in the bread oven when it is cooling down, though I doubt if the E German army was too concerned with that. Presumably for higher temperatures and quick cooking you keep an eye on the liquid level and stir fairly frequently.

Another question ... you talk of horsemeat for the stew. This is entirely possible in France where horsemeat butchers are reasonably common. English tourists walk quickly past horsemeat butcher's shop, looking the other way! Is France the only country still using horsemeat for stews?

Another item I noted with interest ... your Strammer Max, (and I noted that your English translation got by the censor - bonus point for the management). Your Strammer Max is the standard bacon & egg breakfast - traditionally everyday fare in GB. Now I know why. Need to get back to my old breakfast habits.

stew - goulash

I think the main difference is that the meat pieces used for goulash are short roasted first to get a cross surface. Then the onions are added and roasted too. Because the meat has to be roasted a higher temperature and a bigger surface helps in this. Too much meat in a too small container will else result in too much water drawn from the meat and the lard used for roasting is polluted by meat liquid. So it is no longer roasting but slow boiling. So a goulash cannon is ideal for large amounts of gulasch. If it is done proper you will still have more or less pure lard when you add the onions for roasting them.

Too my knowledge, from a sergeant of the english rhine army decades back at my army time, meat for stew isn't roasted first ?

Strammer Max

I think the main difference is that germany is more sour dough yeast bread. And this bread is roasted.

Horse meat

Horse meat was the main goulash in world war I. You can get horse meat at my region quite easily because of a state owned horse breeding and caring farm nearby.. But you are right, it isn't very common here. Reason is that horses were never breeded for using as living food. And the hilly landscape here, together with small sized acres, most farmers were so called after-work farmer. Just enough land to work after their normal work at a company, There animal for waggon tracking, plowing, milk, meat, ... was the cow, not the horse. Horses were mainly BIG cold blood beasts used to track heavy waggons with iron ore or beer barrels.

What we normally do with horse meat is Sauerbraten. marinade the meat for a week before roasting it. Horse meat at my place was normally from old cold blood horses who could no longer used for work, rarely younger riding horses which had a broken leg.

field kitchen recipes

When asking for recipes for the cannon: some recipes start to become really tasty if you do them in bigger amounts. There are differences in what I add if using a normal pot or a big goulash cannon. In a small pot it is less likely to use nearly 40 different vegs. Red and white onions, garlic and bear garlic, different paprica, and you get a mix of many many different tastes which have to harmonize.

• 1 month later...

Toad in the hole,... We have something similiar named Bratwurstauflauf (bratwurst-casserole). Mix of potato, onion, eggs and herbs put in a casserole, then a fitting half roasted Bratwurstschnecke (bratwurst snail) is added and then the rest of the potato/onion mix cover the bratwurst.

zoom_535_401_02112011737607.jpg

The bratwurst filling looks like this

HEINEWILLE_XXLBratwurst_mi.jpg

blood pudding...always found that strange...but SO delicious

:)

gogo

Don't know if it's the same thing, but here in England we have black pudding. It's made with pigs blood. Goes a treat with a full fry up.

• 5 months later...

Kalte Ente -Cold Duck

Some centuries ago a noble wanted a cold drink after meal instead of the then normal hot mocca: ein Kaltes Ende, cold end of the meal. Ende is end but Ente is dick, so the people made a Kalte Enre fom the Kaltes Ende, birth of the cold duck:

white wine, white sparkling wine, citron disc and citron grass or citron melisse

Normally using up leftovers from a party

00141672.jpg

I think all the ducks and turkeys as wine mixes are originating from this Kaltes Ende, Kalte Ente, cold duck, ... chain. In germany it is less a mix sold in bottles but a bowl or cocktail thing.

I think all the ducks and turkeys as wine mixes are originating from this Kaltes Ende, Kalte Ente, cold duck, ... chain. In germany it is less a mix sold in bottles but a bowl or cocktail thing.

Now I know the origins! I always remember seeing these bottles...they were a big thing back in their day, with the cute yellow baby fuzzies on them with a purple background I think.

A bottle of "duck" in the old days, cheap and intoxicating.. the way to liquid heaven

:4rofl:

gogo

Loved pigs in blank when I was a kid...then when all the super stores started carrying them all pre=packaged and pre processed...dunno somehow killed my love for 'em... seems like cocktail/party foods lost a lot of the glamor when they became so easy to buy

Just_Cuz_21.gif

gogo