10 Historical Events Affected by Social Media

FdmNews

stumbleupon.pngdiggme.pngfb.jpgsocial-media-historical-events
hudson-river-plane-crash2.jpg

Hurricane Katrina, 9/11, Princess Diana’s death — these three events might have played out differently had social media been as strong as it is now.

That’s not to say they wouldn’t have happened. But if nonprofits then had been able to access the same technology resources we have today, perhaps the aftereffects of Hurricane Katrina wouldn’t have been so painstakingly slow and devastating. Families wouldn’t have waited nearly as long to be reunited after 9/11; not to mention, those who couldn’t turn to real-life support could have relied on digital communities. And today’s technology would have made it a lot easier to personally contact British friends as they mourned the loss of Princess Diana. Alas, we worked around the technological limitations of the time.

SEE ALSO: Why 2011 Will Be Defined by Social Media Democracy

Today we turn to social media when an influential event occurs as a way to share our personal experiences and relate to the people most affected. It provides us with the reassurance that we’re not alone, but also gives us the opportunity to help.

Here are 10 moments in history affected by social media. How would social media have changed the outcome of other historical events? Let us know what you think in the comments.

1. Presidential Election 2008

BarackObama.jpg

Twitter had never existed in any campaign before the 2008 presidential election, where it was successfully integrated into President Obama's campaign. Although voting has traditionally been regarded as a private decision, millions took to social media to openly express their political approval or contempt.

Click here to view this gallery.

More About: features, history, japan earthquake, september 11, Social Media

di
di

Mashable?i=inHszAN2S7s:V1m_f46G-Xg:D7DqB2pKExk Mashable?i=inHszAN2S7s:V1m_f46G-Xg:V_sGLiPBpWU Mashable?i=inHszAN2S7s:V1m_f46G-Xg:F7zBnMyn0Lo Mashable?d=qj6IDK7rITs Mashable?d=_e0tkf89iUM Mashable?i=inHszAN2S7s:V1m_f46G-Xg:gIN9vFwOqvQ Mashable?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Mashable?d=P0ZAIrC63Ok Mashable?d=I9og5sOYxJI Mashable?d=CC-BsrAYo0A Mashable?i=inHszAN2S7s:V1m_f46G-Xg:_cyp7NeR2Rw
inHszAN2S7s

View the full article

My oldest is the opinion that the internet has to be turned off till the time everyone has it. obviously politics are done with social networks nowadays and not able to join them is ignoring a part of the peope, mainly countryside. There was a bif difference at last political statistics, depending if they were done with internet voting or voting by TV and then phoning. Obviously the more conservative country people had no chance to do their opinion because they had no internet access.

She got a 15 thats an A+ I think for her homework about politics and social networks.

Funny thing is, I've always had a kind of social network, this forum, darkmatters. When everyone was "catching on" to Facebook...I always took it to mean, everyone just finally got used to using the net as a social medium, which we've been using this forum for the last few years for. The cool thing about social media, is that tons of peeps who perhaps never used the net before, now see it as insta purchase, connections and long distance messaging.

Facebook is cool, for me, it's an amazing way to connect to my family, but for gaming and more serious discovery, for me, forums are still where it's at.

:)

gogo