Melee Seraphim?

Winged Walrus

Hey hey,

I've recently picked up the game, and annoying graphic freezes aside (which seem to have diminished a lot since turning off physX), I think I'm ready to game.

This is my very first Sacred 2 character, and I was going for a melee based seraphim. My friend is playing a high elf to accompany me.

I am absolutely clueless about most aspects of the game. I would greatly appreciate it if someone took the time to illuminate and comment!

I have researched the wiki (http://www.sacredwiki.org) and various guides, but am still agonising over several points.

Anyway, here it goes...

Skills

I have identified 12 skills that seem interesting to me, and 2 alternatives... that is two too many! I am not looking for advice on when to raise which, just which total 10 I should end up with. I've loosely bunched them in offensive and defensive here for ease of presentation:

Offensive

Concentration

Exalted Warrior Focus

Sword Weapons OR Tactics Lore & Dual Wield

Speed Lore

Defensive

Shield Lore

Armour Lore

Constitution

Toughness

Spell Resistance

Warding Energy Lore

Combat Reflexes

So I guess concrete questions are...

Sword & Shield or Dual Wield & Tactics Lore?

How important is it to unlock item modifiers? At first glance, for a first character dual wield & tactics seems better, since you are not bound to any one item - also, you end up having two skills boosting two equipment slots (total four) = double the value of swords & shields, where you have two skills boosting one slot each (total two). But... you have less defense, and no sweet modifiers on swords. Since I have no idea how important either is, what do you pros think?

Which skills can be tossed?

With a total of 12, two need to go, probably defensive ones. Which? And why? Everything seems so nice, and it's just so hard to strike something from a list for me, heh...

Which Stat to invest in?

My first instinct was to go with dexterity since that is the seraphim's highest starting stat I think, but that would limit me to short-swords. Is there actually a range for weapons corresponding to their graphics? I noticed it's pretty hard to hit a moving target with melee arts. Anyway, I was thinking strength instead next because it benefits more weapon categories and with so many defense skills... but are there other options? What is good to raise? I'm certainly looking to boost one stat all out though, heh.

Well, thank you kindly for anyone taking the time to cut through my n00b assumptions.

Welcome aboard!

I am no expert, but I have been around the block a time or two. Of the skills you have listed, I would pick these (not necessarily in this order):

•  
  • Concentration
  • Exalted Warrior Focus
  • Tactics Lore
  • Dual Wield
  • Armour Lore
  • Constitution
  • Toughness
  • Spell Resistance
  • Warding Energy Lore
  • Combat Reflexes

I am afraid that Warding Energy Lore (WEL) by itself will not give you a worthwhile shield.

Warding Energy questions

Are you guys playing Closed Net? If so post here if you want company: http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/8764-time-to-play-sacred-2-hardcore-eu-servers/page__fromsearch__1

Edited by lujate

In terms of stats, it depends on what you want. If you like to have Combat Arts available for little cooldown, you should invest in Stamina and keep your buff levels low(25% penalty or less for each one). If you want to do Hardcore, where you have only one life then it is wiser to invest all stats into Vitality like Lujate mentioned.

Please be aware that % life leech is the best mod you can have on a weapon, but is mostly available for only two handed weapons(sword and polearms are good choices for the bonuses available).

Edited by DaveO

As a first character... In my opinion you'd have the most fun with a softcore build similar to the following:

Exalted Warrior Focus

Sword Weapons

Tactics Lore

Dual Wield

Armour Lore

Constitution

Toughness

Concentration

Revered Technology Lore

Revered Technology Focus

The idea is to experience the most aspects and challenges of the game.

The importance of unlocking item modifiers is very subjective, so having Sword Weapons in the mix will let you see whether it's worth it. You'll be able to fully utilize any sword that drops, and experiment with various weapon styles.

Three purely defensive skills will give you lots of survivability.

A small portion of skill points in Warding Energy will give you even more survivability, plus all the fun that comes with the the additional set of Combat Arts.

I intentionally left out the spoiler skills like Enhanced Perception and Bargaining. Without them, every item will be worth picking up, and every unique drop will be like a Christmas-level event :xmastree:

It will be more challenging than many experienced players are used to, because the cool stuff they have multiple stashes of won't be there :lol:

Strength/Vitality is a nice attribute couple for that build.

Hi Winged Walrus

Everyone here's jotted some great info for you, have fun with it and the game

I'm just dropping in on the thread to yell:

Welcome to DarkMatters!

:crazy:

gogo

As a second...welcome to DarkMatters!

Thanks to Dobri, he has written this extensive guide to the "Boss Killing Seraphim" The story is told here...http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/14752-a-comprehensive-guide-to-the-ranged-bosskiller-seraphim/

Hope this helps in your adventures!

I remain, Etherian

The wonderful world of Sacred 2 character building.

Welcome welcome WW.

If you want the best info on the game, characters, or absolutely anything else sacred 2, it is here.

All have said good things.

There are multitudes of philosophy toward building a character. Some focus more defensive, others more offensive, still others on the utility side of character support.

All have their strengths and weaknesses in focus.

Everyone has what they consider most valuable as something they focus on.

I must side with Anti trust most closely here.

The reasoning: The skills mentioned will allow you strong offense and defense

High survivability will allow you to (somewhat) safely explore and experience the game.

You'll see what rings, set items, skills, modifiers, and augmenting of skills do.

In using them, you will discover through playing the game what you feel is most important.

You will see if you hit hard enough, get hit too much, et cetera, and develop your own playing style as a result.

You can get super mathematical, incredibly analytical, or just wanna go bash some guys upside the head.

Whatever makes you happy, this'll do it for you.

Then, if you wanna know more bout anything at all, you come to the community, and they share their experience, you share yours, and we all are better as a result. :drunkards:

Again, welcome. Glad you found us :cool: