Photoshop Brushes

Schot

This is for you Yarasa. :D

I guess this is going to be my first tutorial so bear with me and ask questions if something isn't clear. For this tutorial I'm assuming the reader has photoshop CS or CS2.

*checks notes* /beer

This tutorial will explain how to choose a different brush set to use from your photoshop default brush list and then how to add single or multiple sets of brushes.

So the first thing you'll want to understand is how to use the default brushes that came with photoshop. I believe that photoshop starts off with 5 sets of brushes:

Step 1. Select the brush tool from your tool box. brushjob1ej7.gif

Step 2 and 3. Now that you have the brush tool active look to the top of photoshop where the menu is. Click on the brushes drop down arrow and then on the side arrow for its menu.

brushjob2hl0.gif

Step 4. Now you will see a list of various options. The options at the bottom of this list are Brush set names. click and choose one and when the small confirmation window pops up hit OK.

brushjob3nw1.gif

brushjob4lq4.gif

Now just do the same as you did in step 2 and when the drop down appears you should see some new brushes to choose from like in this image here.

brushjob5xk2.gif

And go nuts! :D

Here's something I created for the tutorial using the butterfly brush as a the basis for the design. The butterfly brush is in the Special effects brush set at the bottom of its list.

brushjobtp1.jpg

Now for the fun stuff. Adding new brush sets to photoshop is actually quite simple.

When downloading brushes for photoshop they often, if not always, come in a .zip file. Simply move the brush sets in that .zip file to your C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop *version*\Presets\Brushes folder. What I normally do is open a window to the brushes in the .zip file and open another window to my photoshop brushes folder as stated above then simply drag the brushes from the zip to the brush folder.

If you do this while photoshop is open you will have to shut down photoshop and restart it to be able to access the new brushes you placed in your brushes folder. As a reference all photoshop brush files have the extension .abr.

Brushes in a .zip look like this: zipiconvt0.gif

Brushes in your photoshop brushes folder look like this: foldericoniz1.gif

So I think that about does it. Hope that helps you Yarasa and anyone else curious to try brushes! ^_^

Check out Deviant art for some cool brushes. This one is my fave! Fractal brushes

Enjoy! :)

Thanks Schot

I always wondering around "what are those brushes?" question on my head since I install my photoshop. I saw to many brush sets around but never download and try any one of them. now it is the time for take a look around and try some of them (when I will have time)

thanks for your time schot, it is really help full

My pleasure Yarasa. I'm very happy to do it for yah. Good brush sets are kinda hard to find. I'll see what other faves I have and hook you up. :D