LG Releases Gorgeous New Pics of the World’s Largest OLED Screen

FdmNews

stumbleupon.pngdiggme.pngfb.jpglg-worlds-largest-oled
LG-55-Inch-OLED-TV-blog.jpg

Korean electronics company LG caused a worldwide stir when it announced its 55-inch OLED panel last week, and now the company’s rolled out two more pictures that show you what kind of remarkable TV set this is going to be.

How groundbreaking is this TV, anyway? If you’ve ever seen an OLED screen, all of which are much smaller than this one, you’ll know how outlandishly vibrant its colors are. And an OLED screen can be impossibly thin. For instance, the one you see here is only 4mm thick — take a look at the right side of the picture below and you’ll see the woman’s finger pointing at the edge of the screen.

LG-55-Inch-OLED-TV_01-600x367.jpg

On its official LG UK Blog, LG says this screen’s color is even more vibrant because of its four-color pixels, making its picture more natural and accurate than other OLEDs. Each tiny pixel emits red, green, blue and white, instead of the red/green/blue used in the pixels of other OLED sets and most other TV sets manufactured today. Does that make a noticeable difference? We’ll take a close look at this screen and others like it at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) next week and give you our first-hand impressions.

The OLED screen (organic light-emitting diode, read more about OLED technology here) is nothing new, but here’s the innovation: Until now, it’s been difficult to create the screens in a size this big, at a reasonable cost and with a long-enough lifespan. The problem with this announcement is, LG is not saying when this screen will be available, how much it will cost, or how long it will last.

So will this be yet another spectacular CES demo of a product that will never make it into the homes of real-world consumers? From what we’ve seen, LG is serious about its OLED manufacturing, where it invested $226 million in mid-2010 to create a new production facility, tripling its OLED capacity. Many other manufacturers are whispering about OLED screens. There are already smaller OLED screens available now, albeit at exorbitant prices. There are small OLED screens on millions of smartphones. This is not science fiction, folks.

The promising fact: huge OLED screens can be printed onto razor-thin surfaces using a process akin to an inkjet printer, theoretically making them even cheaper to produce than today’s LCD and plasma screens. And the screens have much faster response time, with refresh rates that could (again, theoretically) reach 100,000 Hz. They’re brighter, lighter (this 55-inch screen weighs 16.5 lb), and can even be flexible. No question about it: You’re looking at the TV the future, and the question is not if we’ll see these screens available in large sizes and affordable prices, but when.

More About: CES2012, HDTV, LG, OLED, trending

di
di

Mashable?i=XMouxB4ljEg:vc3DYQ7wxOU:D7DqB2pKExk Mashable?i=XMouxB4ljEg:vc3DYQ7wxOU:V_sGLiPBpWU Mashable?i=XMouxB4ljEg:vc3DYQ7wxOU:F7zBnMyn0Lo Mashable?d=qj6IDK7rITs Mashable?d=_e0tkf89iUM Mashable?i=XMouxB4ljEg:vc3DYQ7wxOU:gIN9vFwOqvQ Mashable?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Mashable?d=P0ZAIrC63Ok Mashable?d=I9og5sOYxJI Mashable?d=CC-BsrAYo0A Mashable?i=XMouxB4ljEg:vc3DYQ7wxOU:_cyp7NeR2Rw
XMouxB4ljEg

View the full article

That'd be a cool one. Too bad the prices are sky high+. Gonna take a good while until it's in reasonable prices...

Guess if I'd be really lucky in lottery I could buy one. :P

See, the imaging technology... I see companies as absolutely wanting us to have the capacity to display ads directly in our lives.

What if someone came up with a kind of paint, that we could paint our room walls with. We attach a small micro input device to the "paint/wall" and then turn it on...the current or signal surges through the paint... insta any color wall...heck hello insta TV! And if companies could get their ads on it ... maybe we'll even get a discount!

:)

gogo