Epox in a screen dilema

Epox

Personally, I would not spend over a few hundred dollars tops for monitors. IF you still want to go thru with the purchase, I've had many Samsung products and only one has failed. I've had a Samsung printer outlast Comp-USA for many years. I don't know LG's track record in regards to reliability.

IMHO, the Samsung.

One question: does your PC have HDMI output? Because this Samsung does not have DVI so otherwise you'd need an HDMI to DVI adapter (only costs $5 to $10 US, so not a big deal).

I like to check out the feedback on sites like Newegg: The LG appears to be a couple years older and several people complain about the LG needing color calibration. On the Samsung, you might need to check your graphics "overscan" settings to make sure it uses the full available screen.

The Samsung: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001482

The LG: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005134

Well, I'd go for Samsung. LG isn't bad in any means, it's just I've had some tough luck with their products in the past, whereas I've only got positive wibes from Samsung's products.

Btw, got me with the prices. Was thinking what a heavy price for a 24" display. That was in krones, I assume? :P

I looked at the specs to the monitors that were mentioned before replying and both have HDMI ports. For a bit over $200 US(yes I checked conversion to dollars to get an idea of value for money), it looks like 1920 x 1080 would be the maximum resolution and the card you linked has a 2560x1600 maximum resolution. The LG just went out of stock on the Newegg link, so that may influence your decision.

EDIT - The latest link is for a monitor from a company I never heard of, so your best bet would be either friends or other resources.

Edited by DaveO

Elgiganten is a danish electronics store who is the one of the cheapest places to buy pc stuff and other electronic components. yeah aoc is a small firm compared to Samsung and LG so I don't know much about them either was just looking at the monitor specs and they looked better than the Samsung for set same price

Looks like Danish version of Finnish Gigantti. About that AOC; can't really say anything, never heard of 'em either.

Might be an inch smaller but a little cheaper. Choises, choises... :)

Personally I could recommend BenQ GL2440HM, if you manage to find one. Got one in 9 month part payment, 212€. Yep, I'm poor, so that works just fine for me. ^^

Could only quickly find some Aussie store with some specs of it.

Hey all

I need help I'm looking to buy one of theese to gameing screens and not sure which one is the better buy.

http://m.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS24A350HS/ZA

and

http://m.lg.com/us/computer-products/monitors/LG-led-monitor-W2486L.jsp

The Samsung costs 1400 and LG 22xx

Thx :)

This topic went awesome, epox, you have a lot of info coming back at you from the community! I remember when Schot had to go get a screen. Took us two times back and forth just cuz no matter what the stats say, seeing the screen run in your own place is the final say. What looked to us, at Future shop with their inputs/media, all of a sudden looked kind of washed out when we stuck in a uber high quality Blue Ray, and this is probably happening cuz the store's single signal is split up by so many monitors.

You've got some great advice here on range of options.

Yeah, this is fun, and work, but so much fun huh

Enjoy the shoppin!

:)

gogo

p.s. we have a bunch of monitors here, been VERY happy with the Samsungs, though two of the LG's are decent. Did I see we have been VERY happy with the Samsungs? :D

so it would be nice if someone could add some monitors that I can use with this gfx card here I know I posted some options but as stated I ain't a wiz in this area :D

gfx card

http://dk.msi.com/pr...v=Specification

would I be able to use this screen with my gfx card with an adapter?

http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=Asus+ML248H&rt=sp&modelid=23852898

Edited by Epox

OK.. AOC.. I have heard of them. Back in the day (you know, the stone age, where giant CRT tube monitors roamed the landscape), AOC was a decent brand. They produced a fairly top of the line monitor.

Judging by the reviews on New Egg for an almost identical part number very good reviews - with only one person complaining about a lack of HDMI and connecting it with a VGA cable resulted in somewhat blurry text. Something the author mentions got fixed by using a DVI cable. Something that shouldn't be much of an issue since your video card has dual DVI ports.

Your best bet would be to physically go shopping (yah.. I know.. WHAT a chore!) But seeing is believing. Looking at pictures of monitors and reading what other people have to say only goes so far. There's no substitute for actually looking at a monitor, in person, face to monitor, to see if it's got what you want. That's not to say you have to buy it at the store - by all means shop around.

Here's a link to the variation I found:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-160-062&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

Edited by wolfie2kX

I've been happy w/ Asus monitors. I bought one for my girlfriend last year and just bought one myself. I did have to calibrate the colors (switched color pallete from "vivid" to "standard" and lowered the bright & contrast).

As to the adapter, you're either looking at a) a dongle or b) a cable. Your video card should work fine with one. And as far as I know, most any modern monitor with HDMI will be fine too. Main thing on the monitor to look for is if it's HDCP.

You really should be aiming for the digital ports(HDMI) in terms of video quality. VGA is nice, but there IS a difference on screen quality on VGA versus HDMI alone(especially at the higher resolutions). You will need a DVI to HDMI adapter on the video card.

Where hertz comes into play is at the highest resolution. I suspect that 120 hertz(which basically refers to refresh rate to reduce flickering) is available at the lowest resolution, but at the 1920 x 1080 resolutions the hertz would likely be around 60-90. I checked the Samsung site, and unfortunately there are no details about what refresh rates are supported at the highest resolution. You'd probably have to do a Google search to find that information.

EDIT - I checked the user manual for the Samsung monitor, and maximum refresh rate(hertz) at 1920 x 1080 is 60 hertz. If you go to a 1280 x 1024 resolution, the maximum refresh rate is 75 hertz.

Edited by DaveO

ah okay are thier any sceens you can vouch for I mainly play league of legends and som rpg games not shooter games so 120 hertz would probally not be that big a deal or?

Using that BenQ which has 60Hz at 1920x1080 and it works just fine. Playing mostly RPGs myself. Along with Mass Effects and the like. So my bet is that Samsung or other similar will work just fine. Adn HDMI or DVI is a must. VGA goes well with old CRTs and the like, but with HD-monitors it doesn't look all that nice...

I enden up going out to Elgiganten to look at monitors and saw the samsung posted above only thing I can say is it was ugly to look at, then wify had been out scooping around before me and found this monitor an lg saw it running some games trailers on it and WOW!! is all I can say it also got 85/100 in a test and 4/5 starts and it looks so sexy. so what kinda adapter do I need here

monitor

http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/623288?varenummer=623288&utm_source=PriceRunner&utm_medium=PriceRunnerLINK&utm_campaign=PriceRunner