More Power! Microsoft’s New Xbox 720 Will Be 6x More Powerful [REPORT]

FdmNews

“More power!” You can imagine Steve Ballmer yelling it through Microsoft’s halls but that’s exactly what is happening with the Xbox 720, according to reports from IGN.

The next Xbox — rumored to be the “Xbox 720″ — will ship to retailers in late October or early November 2013 and have six times the processing power of its predecessor, the Xbox 360, sources close to the project told IGN.

The next console will use the AMD 6000 series, which should run similar to the Radeon HD 6670. That all sounds a bit jargon-y but essentially it’s a super-fast processor that supports DirectX11, multi-display output, 3D and 1080p HD. Production of the GPU should start by the end of this year.

All that anticipated extra power on the fabled Xbox 720 isn’t just about graphic fidelity. It allows games to have more detailed environments, longer draw distances (think open world games such as The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim), better enemy artificial intelligence, faster multiplayer experiences and the ability to cram more stuff on the screen.

Sony’s PlayStation 3 won the tech arms race with the last generation of consoles however that gamble on technology didn’t quite pay off. The PlayStation 3 was generally outsold by both the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii for years after its launch and the Wii had a slower processor than both of its competitors. (PS3 sales are making a steady comeback of late.) Will a more powerful Xbox finally dominate the market or should it watch out for Sony’s next console and Nintendo’s Wii U?

More About: Gadgets, Gaming, microsoft, Tech, video games, xbox

For more Entertainment coverage:

di
di

Mashable?i=39sWwPnl1Fs:n1uBd2jd8YQ:D7DqB2pKExk Mashable?i=39sWwPnl1Fs:n1uBd2jd8YQ:V_sGLiPBpWU Mashable?i=39sWwPnl1Fs:n1uBd2jd8YQ:F7zBnMyn0Lo Mashable?d=qj6IDK7rITs Mashable?d=_e0tkf89iUM Mashable?i=39sWwPnl1Fs:n1uBd2jd8YQ:gIN9vFwOqvQ Mashable?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Mashable?d=P0ZAIrC63Ok Mashable?d=I9og5sOYxJI Mashable?d=CC-BsrAYo0A Mashable?i=39sWwPnl1Fs:n1uBd2jd8YQ:_cyp7NeR2Rw
39sWwPnl1Fs

View the full article

It doesn't matter how powerful they make the Xbox if they haven't got the games to go with it ! I did buy the xbox but got rid of it after a short while as it didn't have any decent games. The Playstation always has much more games, but is too expensive, imho. That's why I only have a pc at this time.

A little off topic, but in a way it's a bit like new tv's. They keep on bringing out newer tv's with new techknowledgy, like 3D etc, but when you think about it, you are still watching the same rubbish programmes on those tv's !? You are now watching 101 adverts in 3D and surround sound lmao !

More power yes, but a 6670 as the GPU:) AMD are already releasing there 7000 series and will probably be onto 8000 by the time this comes out. It appears that the "xBox 720" will be behind before it even begins...

KInd of exciting news, DB, my cousin can't stop talking about how much he loves his console, has been making me want to get one too.

It doesn't matter how powerful they make the Xbox if they haven't got the games to go with it ! I did buy the xbox but got rid of it after a short while as it didn't have any decent games. The Playstation always has much more games, but is too expensive, imho. That's why I only have a pc at this time.

A little off topic, but in a way it's a bit like new tv's. They keep on bringing out newer tv's with new techknowledgy, like 3D etc, but when you think about it, you are still watching the same rubbish programmes on those tv's !? You are now watching 101 adverts in 3D and surround sound lmao !

Steve, are you sure about this? There are SO many games out for Xbox these days, it seems like so many of my friends have one. SkyRim just came out on it too!

:bounce:

gogo

Gogo: Well, for me, most of the interesting games are also avaiable on PC. Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Amalur, Saint's Row 3, etc.

And pc games generally cost much less, although there is the constant upgrading when games require more juice. It's just that pc is much more multipurpose than any console in my books. :P

Still, nice to hear some news. Hopefully they'll get the GPU specs more beefed up, as it'll end up almost DoA, as DB said...

There may be plenty for the 360 now, but little going on for the first 12 months after release.

I played Resident Evil 5 ( or 4, but I think 5........oh dear, hehe !) which was a fantastic game. There were a couple of others, but then nothing for around a year so I sold my console.

Fable 2 was a massive dissapointment and Sacred 2 was, imho, awful on the 360. So much better to play Sacred 2 on the pc.

heh, I toss and turn tween systems it seems. One of my friends, a MASSIVE gamer has hundreds of games...and he just recently quit xboxing to turn his hobbying all over to pc gaming...says he actually saves money after he did the math?

Not so sure about this, all he can do now is buy more and bigger gadgets for his pc!

:lol:

gogo

The price of console games is shocking.

One thing that still amazes me, after all these years, is that some games like Final Fantasy are still mainly just for PS3. I would have thought they would try to get it out on all platforms to maximise sales. *shrugs*

Steve: Guess Sony's not fond of idea of giving one of their main francise to others, I take it. Although, FF XII and XII-2 are for both Xbox and PS3.

VII and VIII were published on PC, but I guess they weren't selling enough compared to the PSX-versions, seeing next one for PC was XI, which was a massive dissapointment, at least for me, when it turned

out to be MMORPG...

Steve: Guess Sony's not fond of idea of giving one of their main francise to others, I take it. Although, FF XII and XII-2 are for both Xbox and PS3.

VII and VIII were published on PC, but I guess they weren't selling enough compared to the PSX-versions, seeing next one for PC was XI, which was a massive dissapointment, at least for me, when it turned

out to be MMORPG...

You have some good points there friend.

I'll never forget playing FF7 on the original PS. What a blast. 8 & 9 were good for the PS2 also.

IIRC, the original Xbox came with a better range of games than the 360.

Steve: Oh, the sweet memories. Guess FF7 was one of the first JRPGs I've ever completed. Also, one of the first Final Fantasies. Kept me nailed in from of the screen. Just new twists and surprises awaiting around the corner.

And Aerith. One few the few shock moments. Made me cry, really. :cry:

And about the box, can't honestly remember only Halo. Though I'm not much of a consoler, truth to be told. :P

Steve: Oh, the sweet memories. Guess FF7 was one of the first JRPGs I've ever completed. Also, one of the first Final Fantasies. Kept me nailed in from of the screen. Just new twists and surprises awaiting around the corner.

And Aerith. One few the few shock moments. Made me cry, really. :cry:

And about the box, can't honestly remember only Halo. Though I'm not much of a consoler, truth to be told. :P

The original PS was a gem, but mainly because of the ace games. Remember Kingsfield, Suikoden, Diablo, Broken Sword, Tombraider : Lara Croft, Final Doom, Resident Evil, Command & Conquer etc. So, so many classics all on one console.