15 pounds and 50 dollars later ... Montreal Poutine!

muhahahah

This one is new here Montreal, costs 50 dollars for a plate that weighs 15 pounds!

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1598x863.t9y1jm.gif

http://www.montreal....tail/video/3521

A celebration of hot fat, sauce, curds, cheese that squeaks, and more different kinds of meats you can find in a super market.

Guess where me and friends are heading down this weekend

bowdown.gif

gogo

When I first saw it, I was like OMG :twitch:

But it really looks like a really original meal that everyone could enjoy, plus it's not that expensive if you're 6-8 people.

essjayehm is right, I'd like to know what the Holos Brothers think of this.

Max

I'm in. Need 3 more peeps to split on one of these bad-boys.

Where'd the Holos brothers go? :D

I know! I'm gonna see if I can reach 'em for some professional critique

I don't know what to say about that...looks...heavy. Imagine all of that sitting in your gut...

All about the adventure, think of the stories, think of the tale regaling!

When I first saw it, I was like OMG :twitch:

But it really looks like a really original meal that everyone could enjoy, plus it's not that expensive if you're 6-8 people.

essjayehm is right, I'd like to know what the Holos Brothers think of this.

Max

This'd be a treat...kind of heading down to park safari african for a warm sultry day in the summer, this place is on my radar, I'm gunning for that plate!:viking:

Wow! I doubt I could put a dent in that, but I sure would like to try.

That's the spirit!

:dance:

gogo

Did I smell Poutine? I never miss an outrageously over sized meal!

Hey everybody! hope all are well.

loco

I'd like to know what the Holos Brothers think of this.

Max

I think I know where these 20 lbs I lost went...:)

Hey hey folks, did I smell some horrendous cooking being done? Sling me a plate I got my fork ready!

That's a heart attack on a plate..!

Kinda funny you mention it, because it's really called "Heart Attack Poutine" when you order it.

I talked about this to as many people as I could at work today, and almost everyone seemed interested by the concept.

Max

GoGo: have you recovered enough for such a poutine?

Our second found an injured young red kite when returning from school thursday, probably hit by a car when trying to eat a roadkill. Some first aid and feeding, but our place is no typical red kite area (needs open land) and is the territory of a breeding couple already. So we phoned a falconry at an old castle and brought it there. We were quite hungry so we decided, before driving back home, to do some eating at a butcher with an attached small eating place.

Not as close as your poutine, but the SMALL business dish I ordered for 8 people was 39 euro for the whole:

8 Frankfurter Rippchen - cured pork cutlets, slowly heated in sauerkraut

a LARGE pot with Sauerkraut

a LARGE pot with for Himmel und Erde - apples (Himmel= heaven) and potato (Erde = earth) cooked and the mix mashed

a pot with horseradish cream

a glas with mustard

8 empty plates to be filled

747px-Frankfurter-rippchen-mit-kraut-kpl.001.jpg

Wiki picture just lacks the horseradish and has mashed potato instead of Heaven and Earth. The amount of 'heaven and earth' and SAuerkraut was enough to fill the plate without a space.

Barbarian hessian food :)

The red kite has its main population (75%) in germany. Since there are no vultures except in the alpes the red kite fills this role. Red kites are universal predators: snails, worms, fish, roadkills, attacking eagles and crows so they drop their prey, ...

We have a lot of fish ponds so this a quite normal look.

OjDyR2.jpg

1522579_preview.jpg

The forked tail gave it the name Gabelweihe, Gabel=fork, Weihe = harrier. The long wingspan allows soaring and search for cadaver.

@Furian : I listened to the whole video a second time and I translated the ingredients for you if you want to make your own :

The quantities I list are for the 15 pounds poutine, you can lower them if you want a smaller serving :

around 1 pound of each :

chicken

bacon

ground beef

smoked sausages

ham

as much as you want :

onions

mushrooms

peppers

tomatoes

2 choices of cheese

5 pounds of french fries

loads of sauce

Hope you'll have fun creating this heart-attack meal. :)

Max

Oh my I don't buy that much food in a month, let alone a single meal. But it is the right size for a Pittsburgh Tail Gate party!

Did I smell Poutine? I never miss an outrageously over sized meal!

Hey everybody! hope all are well.

loco

Loco, u heard the call of food so rich it hurts, great seeing you!

I'd like to know what the Holos Brothers think of this.

Max

I think I know where these 20 lbs I lost went...:)

I did too,lol and word got out quickly, the originators of our massive food thread have arrived

EGAD! Just looking at the pic is enough to harden your arteries...!

Woflie, is it up there with your cross stitched bacon-wrapped goodness? That one was a wallop, you pulled it off nicely

Hey hey folks, did I smell some horrendous cooking being done? Sling me a plate I got my fork ready!

The bro of the famous holos gang, yes we have seconds, but for more you're going to have to come visit Montreal! :lol:

Kinda funny you mention it, because it's really called "Heart Attack Poutine" when you order it.

I talked about this to as many people as I could at work today, and almost everyone seemed interested by the concept.

Max

lOL...that's aweosme, Max I think tween you and me we're going to make that new poutine ville restaurant get as famous as Mcdonald's^^

And that is how the "evilness" sucks you in! The Holosburger sure did!

The Holosburger thread is legendary, I remember when it first went up, who wasn't floored^^

GoGo: have you recovered enough for such a poutine?

Our second found an injured young red kite when returning from school thursday, probably hit by a car when trying to eat a roadkill. Some first aid and feeding, but our place is no typical red kite area (needs open land) and is the territory of a breeding couple already. So we phoned a falconry at an old castle and brought it there. We were quite hungry so we decided, before driving back home, to do some eating at a butcher with an attached small eating place.

Not as close as your poutine, but the SMALL business dish I ordered for 8 people was 39 euro for the whole:

8 Frankfurter Rippchen - cured pork cutlets, slowly heated in sauerkraut

a LARGE pot with Sauerkraut

a LARGE pot with for Himmel und Erde - apples (Himmel= heaven) and potato (Erde = earth) cooked and the mix mashed

a pot with horseradish cream

a glas with mustard

8 empty plates to be filled

747px-Frankfurter-rippchen-mit-kraut-kpl.001.jpg

Wiki picture just lacks the horseradish and has mashed potato instead of Heaven and Earth. The amount of 'heaven and earth' and SAuerkraut was enough to fill the plate without a space.

Barbarian hessian food :)

The red kite has its main population (75%) in germany. Since there are no vultures except in the alpes the red kite fills this role. Red kites are universal predators: snails, worms, fish, roadkills, attacking eagles and crows so they drop their prey, ...

We have a lot of fish ponds so this a quite normal look.

OjDyR2.jpg

1522579_preview.jpg

The forked tail gave it the name Gabelweihe, Gabel=fork, Weihe = harrier. The long wingspan allows soaring and search for cadaver.

lol, that looks good, but I dunno...Chattius is it rich though:P

@Furian : I listened to the whole video a second time and I translated the ingredients for you if you want to make your own :

The quantities I list are for the 15 pounds poutine, you can lower them if you want a smaller serving :

around 1 pound of each :

chicken

bacon

ground beef

smoked sausages

ham

as much as you want :

onions

mushrooms

peppers

tomatoes

2 choices of cheese

5 pounds of french fries

loads of sauce

Hope you'll have fun creating this heart-attack meal. :)

Max

wow, max, thanks for the time on this... that last ingredient... 5 pounds of french fries?

:oooo:

gogo

wow, max, thanks for the time on this... that last ingredient... 5 pounds of french fries?

:oooo:

gogo

Eh.. He DID say the recipe was for FIFTEEN POUNDS of Poutine... 5 lbs of spuds sounds about right.

I didn't. We had a talk, and guess where we went... Schwartz's! And guess what happened to it just three days later ... !

We decided to pay the restaurant homage, just before it got sold...I'd only been there once years ago, and only when a friend from cegep took me to eat the world's "best" smoked meat. The place is legendary, we felt like we just "had to do this

:)

gogo

Schwartz's deli has been sold to a group that includes Celine Dion's family

Schwartz's sale made official; Rene Angelil pledges not to franchise

magnifier.gif View larger image

470_schwartz_120207_430241.jpg?2 . (CTV Montreal)

p.gif magnifier.gif View larger image

800_angelil_120205_16089.jpg?2 Rene Angelil (left) seen with wife Celine Dion. (CP file photo)

Updated: Tue Mar. 06 2012 12:27:44 PM

ctvmontreal.ca

MONTREAL — The rumours have been confirmed. Schwartz's Deli has been sold to a group that includes Celine Dion and her husband Rene Angelil.

The Nakis family was also involved in the purchase, which was announced in a news release late Monday. The sale price, earlier rumoured to be $10 million, wasn't disclosed.

Angelil, who had previously been part owner of the Nickels restaurant chain in the 1990s, tried to play down concerns the iconic deli would undergo major changes or be franchised.

"Of course, we'll make a few improvements as necessary, but we're not interested in diluting the brand by franchising, or making the deli something that it isn't," Angelil said in a statement. "It's truly one-of-a-kind, and we intend to keep it this way."

Angelil added that he's been a fan of the restaurant for a long time.

"I have so many great memories of being there with the guys, and with Celine and our families throughout the years," he said. "It's the most unique restaurant in the world and we're thrilled to be a part of it. It means a lot to us and we're very happy to be involved in this venture with the Nakis family."

The Nakis family has spent decades owning and operating restaurants in Montreal, including the Cherrier Tea Room, O-Select, and several Baton Rouge franchises.

Anastasia K. Nakis, grand-daughter of the restaurateur Paul Nakis, said the family is "honoured to be able to contribute to one of this city's greatest legacies."

"For a restaurant to continue as long as Schwartz's has is a true testament to the quality of its product, the loyalty of its customers, and the word-of-mouth that has opened the doors to constant growth," she said.

Many fans of the deli have expressed concern that the decor and food will be changed, but manager Frank Silva says that is not likely to be the case.

"I don't think they're going to change anything. From what we've been talking about, status quo, nothing's going to change."

The sole exception: images of Celine Dion may be more prominent.

"We do have a few pictures of her already, so there might be a few more," said Silva.

Founded in 1928, Schwartz's has become world famous for its smoked meat.

Juha, is poutine something served at the Mcd's where you are, or as fast food in other restaurants? French fries, cheese curds, lots of gravy?

gogo

Gogo: Haven't gone into Mcd's in ages, but if memory serves, I've never seen anything like poutine, in any places, so it's DIY, if one's to eat that around here.

Now the interesting question: imagine a canadian used to eat poutine would visit your place.

1) What of your traditional dishes would be closest to it?

2) Which fastfood you could buy on the street would be close?

3) What would a poutine localized to your place look like?

I know 99.9...9% of people around me would say: 'poutine? isn't that the russian president?'

We did a little game on monday: Oldest had to find a local traditional recipe, second had to find a fastfood and me had to put some ideas how a local variant may look like.

So if you have a strong stomach, be prepared to the barbarical hessian poutine replacement:

Pommes frites mit geschnittener Kaesebratwurst und BBQ sauce. She actually returned with this from a fastfood trailer who is specialized in Bratwuerste.

A plate with french fries, a bratfurst from pork with cheese in the mix, a bratwurst from beef with cheese in the mix, both sausages sliced like for a currywurst, given to the fries and then a BBQ sauce poured above. How close would this be to a poutine?

Bratwurst with cheese pieces inside:

P1060187.JPG

Currywurst with fench fries

currywurst_mit_pommes.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this...that brat wurst loox awesome! I'm so hungry right now, I can almost feel the "snap" of the skin of the sausage as you bite down into the juicy interior...I die for that multi-texture experience.

it's not poutine, but it's still good, and maybe cheese curds has a new place on top of sausage^^

gogo

You can buy Käse-Bratwurst in supermarkets, at least in germany:

37_Kaese_Bratwurst_5x80g_gr.jpg

Or you read the Bratwurst thread and do your own Bratwurst. Took a lot of experiments. If you just add cheese pieces to the bratwurst mix they may end direct at skin. To make the juicy feeling inside the sausage it proved best to design and build a cheese stick feeder to the sausage press. Ugly and slow design, but it works to feed hungry kids. Cheese has to be cut into something like french fries. I actual use the same cutter. Then it is put into a small holder inside the pipe and when pressing the meat mix the cheese is surrounded and moved. Remove pipe from press, reload and repeat. I tell you, way easier to buy them at supermarket. But you can't buy sausage from boar with a strong tasting cheese which fits, or sausage from turkey with cheese, ...

Wow that's one big poutin think I could eat the whole thing

once at my wife's brothers wedding I first got some fish as main course I eat 13 pieces of meat with potato greens sauce then a dessert icecream on a nut basket and last horrors as a night meal. that evening I got a happy belly sorta ;)