Can we join up with friends all over world in Guild Wars 2?

Hey guys

Does anyone know how this is going to work? For original Guild Wars, we could choose from drop down which server we wanted to play on, North American, Eu, ...LOVED IT. Is there word on how Arena Net is going to play out with this?

:)

gogo

I did a quick search on the Web, and here's what I found on the Guild Wars 2 Wiki :

The game will be on multiple servers or "worlds," but players will not be bound to a world and may therefore change servers easily. The exact mechanic for this has not been announced.

I think it will be similar to Guild Wars 1.

Max

Ah, good link. I hope it's the same way too. We're speaking to DLGamer now, we're going to be putting up buttons so peeps can get Guild Wars 2 here, but I didn't know how the servers situation would be set up. It's important for me, at least, that if I order the game from here in Canada, I could be able to play with our community from Europe, Australia, etc.

Was that way in original game, and it was brilliant. Hope that holds true, and that that info is good!

:cow_white:

gogo

I know that they won't allow server hopping, although you will be able to change servers... at a cost. Last I heard, they're not certain whether the cost will be real money or in game money. But the WvWvW server winners will get some boni that applies to the entire server and they want to prevent people hopping over to the winning servers just to get the boni. So it would be great if we know what servers will be available before the game launches so that we can kinda take decide which server will have our main character in:)

Ahhhh, I'd forgotten about the bonuses for the servers...this game pulls out all the stops. Thanks Scleameth for the info re some control being offered us, I think we're on the same page, we're all going to have to decide on a server for all of us to hang at.

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Ahhhh, I'd forgotten about the bonuses for the servers...this game pulls out all the stops. Thanks Scleameth for the info re some control being offered us, I think we're on the same page, we're all going to have to decide on a server for all of us to hang at.

gogo

Hear, Hear!

Awesome Lujate, yay on board!

If you want some fun time, did you check out all the CA videos for Guild Wars 2? Sweet or what^^

Picked out a class yet?

I think I'm gonna go guardian!

gogo

If you want some fun time, did you check out all the CA videos for Guild Wars 2? Sweet or what^^

Picked out a class yet?

gogo

Please provide a link to the in-game videos?

I must have missed something, bouncing around from Sacred 2, GW2,D3 & Skyrim.

I remain, ?

Hey Eth!

I got this video for Guardian, it's showing his skills so far:

along the side you can also see the other class skills as well...choose your favorite... I also like the

... SO FAST FIRING!

wheeeeeeeeeee

gogo

Picked out a class yet?

gogo

I have a short list of classes: Elementalist, Guardian, Mesmer. In that order, but I still have not made up my mind yet.

Picked out a class yet?

gogo

Please provide a link to the in-game videos?

I must have missed something, bouncing around from Sacred 2, GW2,D3 & Skyrim.

I remain, ?

I just finished up this thread here: http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/12150-guild-wars-2-trailer-premiere/

Lots of good videos. Like everything but the jumping puzzle. Jumping puzzles... :nooo:

lol the jumping puzzle...we'll have to time it so we don't trip each other up :lol:

Did you guys see the Thief Video,... Hola The exrtreeme duel pistol wielding beauty!

gogo

When in-game with the guild: Thief

When in-game solo. The lonely nights: Warrior

When playing the Thief, I do not see this character being in the fray. Up close & personal. However, when the Thief is needed at a time of utmost importance. The Thief will come through, in glorious fashion, saving the moment!

When playing the Warrior. While solo, I tend to be much more offensive, rather then defensive. Ahead of the enemy. In the fray. Seeking mobs upon mobs.

Bloodlust!

With a max server. My playstyle will benefit the guild most, as the Thief. Otherwise, I become to offensive & find myself either in serious trouble & or dead. In either event, the situation will not boad well for the guild!

I remain, Thief @ night. Warrior during the day.

• 3 weeks later...

gogo

I would like to revisit the topic of home servers. It seems like every player will have a fixed home server. Server hopping will be free and without restrictions, with one exception. That exception is World versus World (WvW). I guess in WvW, a player can only represent their home server, and changing home servers is neither free nor without restrictions. So, if DarkMatters ever wants to go to war together, we will all need to be on the same home server. As far as I am concerned, the first member to pick a home server should post back here ASAP, and everyone else should just dogpile that server.

Thoughts?

It'd be awesome to have a good strategy for this, but is there anywhere that has published information re lag? I'm just worrried about some of our players over in Australia, for example, who may register a server an ocean away for home server... do you guys think this would have a kind of impact?

I have some days coming off and can research, but if anyone can also look for articles regarding this, it can help us plan what to do for us all.

gogo

My understanding is that there will initially be two data centers, one in Europe and another in North America. The game will be region locked and will only connect to the data center set in the app itself. Europeans will use the EU data center while the rest of the world will connect to the North American one. So the Aussies get the short end of the stick again. :(

Regarding lag, that is a good question. I know I saw a listing somewhere of the home server names. They were broken down into EU and NA, but it said you could pick from either list. You have to wonder whether it would cause more lag if you have an NA data center and an EU home server, or vice versa.

gogo

I would like to revisit the topic of home servers. It seems like every player will have a fixed home server. Server hopping will be free and without restrictions, with one exception. That exception is World versus World (WvW). I guess in WvW, a player can only represent their home server, and changing home servers is neither free nor without restrictions. So, if DarkMatters ever wants to go to war together, we will all need to be on the same home server. As far as I am concerned, the first member to pick a home server should post back here ASAP, and everyone else should just dogpile that server.

Thoughts?

Or pick one before hand that we can all join?

Well, idk how any of it works, but even though I'll be on the NA servers being in Australia, I'll still be able to play with the EU people right?

gogo

Thoughts?

Or pick one before hand that we can all join?

Well, idk how any of it works, but even though I'll be on the NA servers being in Australia, I'll still be able to play with the EU people right?

Designating a server upfront is cool with me. I have not seen an official server list, but a few players have posted lists.

NA and EU players can hook up.

And don't worry -- we want you to play with your friends wherever you are. This policy only affects where you can login from -- not which worlds you can access. People from NA will be able to play with people from EU at launch. We've got two datacenters -- one in NA and one in EU. Those who do not fall into either of those two regions will default to the NA datacenter.

from: http://news.mmosite.com/content/q/2012-04-05/guild_wars_2_client_s_region_locked_but_game_server_s_free.shtml

I like these guys' videos, but is rated PG13 for some foul language (not much, but it's there).

The Spotlight videos are nice if you want a good overall view of all the professions.

Also some nice footage of WvWvW.

Perhaps not totally a topic related post...

Any luck on the lag question gogo? I looked but could not find anything official. I found a few fan discussions that thought mixing data centers and home servers (EU & NA) would increase lag. The most common opinion was the lag would not be a detriment to PvE or casual PvP, but could be an issue for elite PvP. From the discussions, it seemed to me they were assuming the players were on their home servers. I asked the question about home servers specifically on a fan site, and the best answer I got was to try it and find out.

I've looked for answers to this, but am not satisfied with anything on an absolute level. My next probing question would be ... if we're asking everyone to register as home on one server at the possible risk of creating lag for some people... is the benefits of asking everyone to register for home on a continent not their own worth the benefit? For this case, is the benefit only for pvp server versus server?

I sort of see it going this way... people will get the game, register...and if they register on home servers, they still get to play on any other server... the only dis benefit is that they won't be able to play in pvp server versus server...maybe just having everyone know this info is enough... and let everyone decide on what they want their home server to be then? If, of course, they are SUPER into pvp (I'm not convinced many here are) they could opt out to register in the most popular servers which is American/ EU where most of us will be>?

gogo

• Like! 1

That is pretty much what I found. About all I can say for certain (well, as certain as anything pre-release can be ;)):

1. A player can only compete in World vs World (WvW) for his/her home server.
  2. A player will receive buffs if his/her home server is doing well in WvW. These apply even if he/she is playing PvE or standard PvP on a different server.
  3. Changing home servers will involve a fee, and the player will be barred from WvW for an unspecified length of time after making the leap.

I guess another way of resolving this is to see how interesting pvp really is for most of us? I know that only Schot from our entire clan years ago was interested in pvping... for myself, it's not really a pull...the amount of content in this game for just a clan to cover for PVE (player versus Environment) was more than enough to keep us busy. if someone was really interested in pvp, then the home server status could be of interest?

gogo

Are we going to rock-paper-scissors between US and EU? I'm leaning towards an EU server, since it's mid Aus- and US time (... and spot on SA time :whistle: ), but I imagine that's the best chance of finding clan players online at a reasonable hour?

I wonder if they'll show ping to the server before choosing one, so that we can be certain not end up in a server with most lag and lowest ping by accident.

btw this armour is awsome!

Evan-Teicheira-Divinitys-Reach-Favored-of-the-Gods.jpg