Can we join up with friends all over world in Guild Wars 2?

Should we make some kind of poll to decide which server we'll pick for the event?

I have no problems if an EU server wins the poll.

EDIT : Here's a list where different guild specifies what servers they'll pick : LINK. Maybe this could change the server we'll choose.

For the release, if most players are from EU, we can pick an EU server. I'll use the guesting feature to play with my other friends if they pick an US server.

Max

Edited by Flooxim
  • 2 months later...

Now that we actually have a release date, I think the home server question needs to be addressed.

Should we just stick with our beta server? If not, EU or NA? Thoughts?

From what I understand. You pick your home server and then you can be invited as a limited time guest to play with friends on another server, but you cannot participate in their WvW.

You can also belong to multiple guilds if you want and switch between them as you wish. During Beta I belonged to my #1 choice... FDM on NA Muldane Server and... to TIG on EU Eternal Grove Server. While there was no guesting during beta so I was unable to play with the ppl on Eternal Grove, I was able to chat with them all in Guild Chat when I changed Guilds. As yet they haven't beta tested the guesting so we don't really know how well or easily it works. Keep in mind tho I lost all unspent points I had earned for FDM when I change guilds and did not get them back upon return.

I would suggest that FDM chooses a server and we all join that and then guest when we want to play on different worlds.

Also, there should be ample room for members in the FDM. I took this quote off the GW2 wiki

ArenaNet has stated that they plan to allow for guilds to be larger than 100 members and is considering whether to set any limit at all.

Looking forward to meeting more of you in GW2 =)

Kiy

Could I possibly suggest a world... The area in GW is quite DM'eske

NA "Gates of Madness"

Following is a List of worlds

EU

DE

Abaddon's Mouth

Dasha

Drakkar Lake

Dzagonur

Elona Reach

Kodash

Miller’s Sound

Nundu Bay

Riverside

FR

Arborstone

Augury Rock

Echovald Forest

Fort Ranik

Jade Sea

Urgoz’s Warren

Vizunah Square

General

Aurora Glade

Bjora Marches

Blacktide

Boreal Station

Desolation

Dragrimmar

Far Shiverpeaks

Fissure of Woe

Gandara

Grothmar

Gunnar’s Hold

Istan

Jaga Moraine

Kodonur

Kourna

Lakeside County

Longeye’s Ledge

Magus Falls

Mahnkelon

Norrhart Domain

O’Brien’s Refuge 1

Olafstead

Petrified Forest

Ring of Fire

Ruins of Surmia

Sacnoth Valley

Sharp’s Corner 2

Shosa’s Hollow 3

Umbral Grotto

Underworld

Vabbi

Whiteside Ridge 4

US

Anvil Rock

Arachnia Plateau

Astralarium

Basalt Grotto

Bauer’s Pass 5

Bearce Falls

Blazeridge Mountains

Bloodstone Fen

Borlis Pass

Cavalon

Crystal Desert

Darkhaven

Deldrimor

Divinity Coast

Ehmry Bay 6

Eredon Terrace

Eternal Grove

Eve’s Warren

Ferguson’s Crossing 7

Fort Aspenwood

Fort Witter

Frazar Lake

Frost Gate

Gate of Madness

Henge of Denravi

Isle of Janthir

Jade Quarry

Jaya Bluffs

Kaineng

Loew’s Point

Maguuma

Massies Grotto

Moladune

Nolani Academy

Port Sledge

Quarrel Falls

Sanctum Cay

Scavenger’s Causeway

Sea of Sorrows

Seafarer’s Rest

Sifhalla

Sorrow’s Furnace

Steamspur Mountains

Tanglewood Copse

Tarnished Coast

The Wilds

Vasburg

Yak’s Bend

Edited by Kiyeri

I have no server preference as a whole. I have a tendency toward a NA server since I am here. But if my choices are playing alone or with FDM I vote to play with the group.

Having played GW1 solo I would just as soon not do that again. :sweating:

So whatever is decided is fine with me. With two months remaining there should be enough time to work this out.

Keep in mind tho I lost all unspent points I had earned for FDM when I change guilds and did not get them back upon return.

Influence points? I thought those points belonged to the guild, not the player. Of course, that may have been a bug.

I looked but was unable to find anything indicating whether there will be any performance difference between picking an NA/EU server. We do not know if an EU server means you are actually connecting to the EU data center or not.

I have no server preference myself. We do have a number of members who have said they will be waiting for a boxed copy. They may not be checking in here as often, so I wanted to resurrect this discussion early to allow more feedback.

Well I'm just thinking what the best time is for the largest group to be awake at the same time.

If the largest number of players hail from US, then NA servers would make sense. But if we have a reasonable amount of players that are from Aus, then EU might probably make more sense...

What about a poll?

EDIT: horrible grammar

Edited by Scleameth

Influence points do belong to the guild but the user points must be spent/donated/used/assigned by the user or they are lost upon changing guild... at least that's what happened to me in Beta.

Also... rumor has it even people buying the Box must download the game online. So far everyone I know that has pre-purchased the game has gotten empty boxes.

And of course I will go to the server where everyone else goes. Just felt after looking at the server names, the Gates of Madness is the only one that sounded DM'ish :P

These days, it seems that unless I am actively doing something engrossing, my mind drifts back to GW2. This morning while driving, I started thinking about home server choice again. I remembered Genenut making the case for an EU home server.

And as to the world we setup on , My feeling is an EU one might be better for 2 reasons. 1) those of us in the US who like to grind and pve find the servers emptier due to the time diference so less lag to deal with and b) for our international players an EU server will have more who a)speak thier language probably and b) will not tell them to speak english in rude and nasty ways every 5 minutes... (which I have seen happen in GW and other MMORPGs located on american servers unfortunately).

from: http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/20409-guild-name-ideas/page__p__6944039#entry6944039

I have thought of her argument several times recently. The new connection I made this morning was that both of the stress tests seemed to focus on the EU servers (based on their scheduled times). That would imply to me that ArenaNet is having more issues with their EU servers than the NA ones.

No matter what, I think we need to pick a server that was not in BWE1 (assuming they keep the server list). I imagine a lot of beta players will simply keep their same server. By picking one that was added after the initial rush of the first beta, we should find one that is slightly less crowded. For the record, "Gate of Madness" fits.

I'm happy you're talking about this today, because that made me remember that I talked a little bit with Genenut about the GW2 Home Server while playing GW1 with her last Sunday. I'm trying really hard to remember what's been said during that conversation, but I think we didn't talk about the language barrier or some things like that. I remember we talked picking the server Genenut will have the highest chance to be able to play with as many people as possible; and since it seems most of players here that showed interest for the game are from the US, we'll most likely pick an US Server.

@Dragon Brother : I'm not forgetting you, but I think that since you're from Australia, ArenaNet suggested you to pick an US Server in order to get less lag.

Max

By default, ArenaNet divides the GW2 world into EU and non-EU, and everyone non-EU goes to the NA data center. I went through every post in this section (except the one that started way back in 2009). I only saw a single European posting, and he will be joining his GW1 guild. Since everyone else will be routed to the NA data center, it only makes sense to me to pick an NA server.

At the end of the day I just want to play in the servers where we have the most activity from here at FDM. I'd be willing to deal with a little bit more lag and whatnot if it meant having fun with you guys. But NA servers would also be okay with a US resident here ;)

Happy 4th to all US members as well :drinks:

I am a current GW1 player and the EU servers seem to always be having issues. I am actually in a EU guild and most everyone plays on the NA Districts. Since I'm fairly new to GW1 I don't know if this is a recent development or not.

Also, I'm not sure if this will carry over the same from GW1 to GW2, but personally I have very little contact with anyone outside of my guild. Even in pickup groups ppl tend to not talk much to each other. Which to me is an odd thing for a MMO. Since in GW2 it is not necessary to actually party with others to participate in events, I think possibly again conversation will be limited to your guild.

Edited by Kiyeri