PS3 and Xbox servers going offline forever

Does anyone know if or how this will affect PS3 and Xbox gaming? Will there be no more local co-op also? Hearing the news made me so sad. I never post on here, but I've been a lurker for two years. Makes me want S3 even more!

This has been a topic of discussion on the GameFAQs PS3 boards also. The conclusion is the same as Lujate's, but I rationalized the claim that the servers are peer-to-peer (as I haven't seen any official statement of this...but if anyone has a source, I'd be grateful).

Here is my reply there:

Ok, so I did some digging into this. While I don't have a solid answer, it's more likely than not that there are no servers for (at least) the PS3 version.

Servers are optionally used for stability reasons, or to support more players. Games which allow many players to connect at the same time require servers, otherwise the connection becomes way to unstable (see most FPSs, CoD games come to mind). Also, servers allow for unique functions, such as Demon's Souls "hint" system. However, Sacred 2 supports up to 4 players only (thus not having the 16 player function of the PC servers), and does not have unique online aspects. There is also nothing which is "online only" (ala Monster Hunter or GTA4), thus servers are not needed over the peer-to-peer methods.

Now, as for more technical reasons.

The first: When the host quits, the game ends and all other players are booted from the game. If the game were server based, the host would be free to come and go as they please without the game ending for everyone.

The second: The host suffers minimal lag when playing online, compared those who are connecting. It's impossible for the host to disconnect from their own game (whereas I experience this often in server based online games, such as GTA4).

Despite the limited evidence (though, it might be hard to find more), I'm inclined to believe that Ascaron "cheaped out" and went without a server for Sacred 2, thus keeping the online free and limitless.

It's been 2 years since I last checked, but it might be good to see if CoN's servers are still up, since we're back on this topic.

Note that CoN (Champions of Norrath) used a similar online style, and the online was still available 7 years after the game's release (which is when I checked last 2 years ago).

Something I was wondering about as well.

Wait, does that mean us consolers have an edge? Doesn't make up for not having the expansion, but hey, ever little bit.

Course, if Sacred 2 had come out for Mac, I probably would have gotten that and made the switch.

Wait, does that mean us consolers have an edge? Doesn't make up for not having the expansion, but hey, ever little bit.

Course, if Sacred 2 had come out for Mac, I probably would have gotten that and made the switch.

Full-power allskills and "unlimited" rune eating give consoles an edge... and I still love the gamepad setup. After playing Sacred and Titan Quest on PC, I definitely prefer the gamepad (esp. with camera control).

Hrm, no windows partition on your mac? Where there is a will... :D

Full-power allskills and "unlimited" rune eating give consoles an edge... and I still love the gamepad setup. After playing Sacred and Titan Quest on PC, I definitely prefer the gamepad (esp. with camera control).

Hrm, no windows partition on your mac? Where there is a will... :D

I've considered partiton, but sounds like too much effort for just one game right now, when I already have that game on PS3.

Heh... no doubt. The other thing I forgot the consoles have going for them over the PC versions is "plug n' play". No worries about the woes that some PC'ers have to go thru to get this game working.