Just when you thought it was safe to install Windows 7...

wolfie2kX

Welp.. I'm in for it now.. I just grabbed and installed Windows 8 Beta... Yah.. I know.. I'm a glutton for punishment. :D

Anyhow.. Just thought I'd let you know - I'm installing Sacred 2 under it - just to see how it behaves. IF it behaves. It should be OK - after all, it runs just fine on Windows 7. I'm going to post some notes on any gotchas there are in case anyone else gets the bright idea to jump in the Windows 8 waters AND some impressions on the new OS and how it works.

I've had it installed for about 24 hours so far, and everything thus far is running fine.. Nice and snappy.

On the other hand... Most Windows users will be in for a bit of a shock of sorts. The start button is no more. It's been replaced by the Windows Phone 7.x/Zune style interface. (See picture) But you DO get a full Windows 7 style desktop. It will take a while to get used to it. But it's not so bad once you figure out how to get to where you want to go. Contrary to some opinions - Windows 8 does work with mice just fine.

post-14586-0-46864400-1332423533_thumb.jpg post-14586-0-64259900-1332423567_thumb.jpg

Firefox and Chrome install just fine and work side by side with Internet Explorer 10 Beta.

Now then... Installing the game is fairly straightforward. Download or copy the installer files from wherever you've got them stored and click on the installer. It'll run and will go through it's usual copying/installing routine. Once you've got the base of Fallen Angel installed, you will find a prompt from Windows 8 to install the .Net Framework 3.5. This is done fairly quickly (depending on your internet connection and server traffic). Then you can run Sacred 2. But of course, you don't really want to go there just yet - you need to install the patches to get to 2.40 or 2.43 first.

Once you've got them, feel free to launch the game and get into the basic game. In my next post, I'll be detailing any gotchas with installing the Ice and Blood expansion...

Ok.. First gotcha...

Sacred 2 does NOT install itself so the newfangled Start Menu thing can understand the shortcut. As a result, you have go looking for it and make one for the desktop manually.. Not a super big problem, but a minor problem never the less.

Second Gotcha... Windows 8 assigns too few permissions to Sacred 2's files. It means the game wont run. So you have to go to C:\Program Files\Deep Silver\Sacred 2\System and right-click on Sacred2.exe and select Properties.

Then you need to go to the Security tab, select "All Application Packages" and click the Edit button. This will give you the option to add FULL CONTROL to the folder. You can then start the game...

Gotcha #3... Patching. The first patch - the BIG one - doesn't seem to like the files as Sacred 2 2.02 were installed. It will cough up an error saying the files were changed and it won't let the installer proceed.

NUTS!

Furthermore... There doesn't seem to be any sort of compatibility mode built into Windows. In previous versions, you could tell the Windows that the program in question prefers to be run under an older OS.

I'm going to have to do some more digging... <sigh>

Edited by wolfie2kX

Well, from what I've heard and read about Eight, I'm not too thrilled with it. I know, that horrendous Metro can be disabled and all, but still...

Guess it's okay, if games and stuff work on it smoothly, but I ain't masochist enough to try the beta. xD Well, atleast some extensive documents and stuff, at least.

Still, hoping you get everything rollin' and all. :thumbsup:

Way to go! Since Win8 will probably come out before S3, I am sure the question of installing Ice and Blood on Win8 will come up.

I understand that all apps that run natively under Win7 should run on Win8, but I have not heard anything about compatibility mode.

Way to go! Since Win8 will probably come out before S3, I am sure the question of installing Ice and Blood on Win8 will come up.

I understand that all apps that run natively under Win7 should run on Win8, but I have not heard anything about compatibility mode.

Compatibility mode HAS been built into Window since.. Well. I can't remember when exactly. Probably Windows 98 or Win 98 SE.

And apparently, it's still there in Windows 8. For native apps like Notepad, IE 10, etc.. The thing is - it's NOT there for the Sacred 2 EXE. I've posted a note about it to Technet to see if any of the Microsoft Devs have a clue about what's going on. The one Microsoft employee on the thread seems a bit puzzled as well. Not entirely sure WHY you would need compatibility mode for an app built into Windows but OK.. whatever... For what it's worth, the 3 other non-Windows native apps I've installed all have a compatibility mode tab.

Oh well.. I'll stick to Win 7 for playing Sacred 2.. :D

Wise choice my friend. :) At least there's no ebil surprises waiting for you. ^^ All things considered, I guess even Linux would be more sure worker...

Might be some hitches of betas, tho. Remember back in the time when Seven was in beta. There were some weird stuff happening too, and nowadays everythings fine and dandy.

Well, I've been running the consumer preview since it came out and the only issue I've had so far has been a lack of driver support for my graphics card. Since its on my laptop, I have a dedicated and an integrated card but the drivers/software I can install at the moment mean I can't switch between dedicated and integrated and am stuck with the default; integrated. Which means running games in minimum settings, although I've only played Kingdoms of Amalur a little since installing W8, its probably a good thing that I couldn't play anything to graphcs intense now Im at uni for the year again. However, its annoying to not have the option...

Other than that, not a problem :)

I was told that copyright protection code is very lowlevel to protect against debuggers, loggers and other tools to disassemble the code for cracking. So some of the copyright protections in software may consider windows 8 as a not known OS and perhaps cracking tool and block?

Wise choice my friend. :) At least there's no ebil surprises waiting for you. ^^ All things considered, I guess even Linux would be more sure worker...

Might be some hitches of betas, tho. Remember back in the time when Seven was in beta. There were some weird stuff happening too, and nowadays everythings fine and dandy.

Yeah.. I remember the Win 7 beta.. Good times.. Good times... It actually was fairly stable. I didn't play Sacred 2 at the time - but I was playing S1 at the time and it went VERY well.

At any rate.. I've got it reported and with any luck someone will come up with an idea on what's going on. I have a few thoughts but I'll hold off on it until I get some confirmation on it. I may play with it a bit on my own later today when I get a chance.

Well, I've been running the consumer preview since it came out and the only issue I've had so far has been a lack of driver support for my graphics card. Since its on my laptop, I have a dedicated and an integrated card but the drivers/software I can install at the moment mean I can't switch between dedicated and integrated and am stuck with the default; integrated. Which means running games in minimum settings, although I've only played Kingdoms of Amalur a little since installing W8, its probably a good thing that I couldn't play anything to graphcs intense now Im at uni for the year again. However, its annoying to not have the option...

Hmm. You'd think a Windows 7 driver would work.. Shouldn't be that big a gap between the two OS's..

I was told that copyright protection code is very lowlevel to protect against debuggers, loggers and other tools to disassemble the code for cracking. So some of the copyright protections in software may consider windows 8 as a not known OS and perhaps cracking tool and block?

It's possible...

I'll be sure to pass on any info I get - just as soon as I get something worth passing on.

Then again, Windows 7 was an unknown OS when Sacred 2 (the original) was released. And I was able to install it on Windows 7 with very little grief... The Ice and Blood installation wasn't all that bad - except for the last bit - entering the serial number. The manual registration was a pain in the neck.

FWIW... Google returns a number of hits regarding missing compatibility tab under Win7. Most of the fixes talk about making registry changes. Not sure if they would be of any help for Win8.

Hmm. You'd think a Windows 7 driver would work.. Shouldn't be that big a gap between the two OS's..

Yeah, tried it, no luck :( There are some threads on assorted forums with some fiddly workarounds to use win7 drivers but I'd rather not get into all that, as long as stuff runs for now, I'm not fussed.

OK.. Update time..

As most of you know, I've been having some issues with getting the game up and running. Namely getting past the big patch installer's check to see if files have been changed. Thanks to King Angel's help, I was able to get the incremental little patches for Fallen Angel from a Romanian web site.

I was able to install from 2.0.2 to 2.31 without any grief. However, the 2.31 to 2.34 patch blew chunks right at the beginning of the install process - saying... (wait for it...) it was going to abort because files have changed.. DOH!

I'm getting to the point where I'm wondering if the installer files for the game haven't somehow become corrupted...?

At any rate... It would appear that you CAN install Sacred 2 on Windows 8 - provided you've got a good set of installation files... The game, as patched up to 2.31 seems to play OK... Even if it's got the ugly green log book as opposed to the nicer looking one found in later builds.

<sigh> Looks like I'm going to have to do a bit of downloading of a fresh set of installers...