Hunger Games

cyclops

Anyone here planning to watch or have watched the movie? Watched it last Friday and I was not expecting it to be that good. While not outstandingly good it was a breath of fresh air from the typical movie genre being showed lately. And guess what I've just purchased the trilogy books!! :thumbsup:

Count me on for the movie this Tuesday! What's with the trilogy? When did the buzz on this happen, it seems like everyone I know at work "knows" about the books and has been reading them for a while...is this kind of like the Twillight Vampire series or something?

Everyone I know that's seen it said highly entertaining fare

:)

gogo

Guess I'll be waiting for BD for this one. Went totally under the radar for me. But the reviews I read piqued my interests. Being sci-fi fan myself I should find this one enjoyable.

Also, having similar setup as Battle Roayle tickles my fancy. Gotta see what the books cost in Bookdepository, or Play. :P

And looks like there's already tons of merchandise around too. xD

Gogo: If you mean like it was largerly unknown until the movies hit the jackpot? No other similarities, I hope. Me wants my vampires as in Blade, Trinity Blood, Hellsing and such.:viking:

Edited by Stormwing

Count me on for the movie this Tuesday! What's with the trilogy? When did the buzz on this happen, it seems like everyone I know at work "knows" about the books and has been reading them for a while...is this kind of like the Twillight Vampire series or something?

Everyone I know that's seen it said highly entertaining fare

gogo

Actually based on the critics the movie complements the books and since the movie was quite good I assume the books would also be good. The day after watching it I spent a couple of hours reading the wikipedia and I was surprised that this book as stormwing said "went under the radar" because this is the type of stories I like very much. Hopefully the books would be delivered today. Book 1 is quite cheap at only A$ 11.00 but the next two are more expensive at A$19.00 each.

I convinced my girlfriend to go watch the movie next Tuesday (like gogo will do), and I just read on IMDB that the movie opened with $155 million for the first weekend. What a great start! Third all-time best behind Harry Potter & Deathly Hallows Pt.2 and The Dark Knight.

Max

I convinced my girlfriend to go watch the movie next Tuesday (like gogo will do), and I just read on IMDB that the movie opened with $155 million for the first weekend. What a great start! Third all-time best behind Harry Potter & Deathly Hallows Pt.2 and The Dark Knight.

Max

The producers said that they would be making the 2nd book into a movie based on how good/bad the movie is going to perform. It has already made $214,000,000 after 3 days so I guess it's given we can expect another movie or two!!

This supposed to be one of the most perfectly marketed movies in history. I remember going to the theatre a few weeks back, and always saying the boards up with all of the games running in the different "districts" (anyone play?)

155 million in sales, the marketing for something on this level must have cost a fortune!

Cool thing is this movie puts LionsGate back in the good books, Their Saw franchise had run out of steam, but this looks to be the next big trilogy that people will "cling" to over the next l'il while with Harry Potter and Batman now coming to their end of tales.

gogo

What's with the trilogy? When did the buzz on this happen, it seems like everyone I know at work "knows" about the books and has been reading them for a while...is this kind of like the Twillight Vampire series or something?

Yes, like Twilight, this began as a "young adult" fiction series. Only reason I'd heard of it before the first tv commercial was that a month earlier, Amazon had "suggested" the book to me.

From all I've heard and read, it's supposed to be a solid movie and doesn't require having read the book to understand it all.

The web has some discussion on how similar or different it is from previous works like The Running Man and Battle Royale. Most people who aren't just being jerks seem to agree that it's a fresh interpretation. But then you also have to consider the next two books in the trilogy which, from what little I understand of it, takes the story well beyond Running Man or Battle Royale.

What's with the trilogy? When did the buzz on this happen, it seems like everyone I know at work "knows" about the books and has been reading them for a while...is this kind of like the Twillight Vampire series or something?

Yes, like Twilight, this began as a "young adult" fiction series. Only reason I'd heard of it before the first tv commercial was that a month earlier, Amazon had "suggested" the book to me.

From all I've heard and read, it's supposed to be a solid movie and doesn't require having read the book to understand it all.

The web has some discussion on how similar or different it is from previous works like The Running Man and Battle Royale. Most people who aren't just being jerks seem to agree that it's a fresh interpretation. But then you also have to consider the next two books in the trilogy which, from what little I understand of it, takes the story well beyond Running Man or Battle Royale.

You are quite correct when I was watching the movie I was thinking that it is quite similar to Running Man in that they are in an arena to kill each other. But the similarity ends there. Started reading book 2 yesterday because book 1 is out of stock for the next few days

I really enjoyed it the first time I saw it, and picked up on all the subtleties the second time I watched it. I would say the only thing that seemed inconsistant with the whole movie was how well fed and healthy the kids looked from District 12. I haven't read the books yet (but plan on reading them as soon as I order them from Amazon), but it kinda seemed like District 12 was one of the poorest Districts. I would have thought that the main character (played by the naturally beautiful Jennifer Lawrence) should have more accurately looked like a half-starved refugee victim to fit the theme better, but that's just me. (Sorry, I won't give anything more away for those of you who have not seen the movie yet).

Other than that, can't wait to see what the next installment brings!

Going to see the 12 50 showing, that's in oh uh...like three hours folks!

woot woot poutine!

Be reporting back soon after, it's a day off, kinda cold...oh, we'll make the best of it.

:devil:

gogo

Any update on the movie gogo?

Yes, I'd also like to know what gogo thought of the movie.

So, earlier tonight I say the movie with my girlfriend. We didn't know anything about it, we never read the books. But we liked it, it's good entertainment.

A bit long, but some good action.

Max

Edited by Flooxim

LOVED THIS MOVIE. Me and Schot went to check out out, and right from the get go I was pulled in. I know that there are many reference sources for the plot, but I disciplined myself to first cleanse my mind of outside interruptions to attempt to see it fresh. I thought the main lead (bow girl!) was wonderful actress and I could easily sympathize with her, in fact, almost all of the other children's plight.

And I found myself twisting with where my allegiances were lying! :lol: I reviled that lady who first showed up to whisk them away for battle, but... dunno... I had some compassion for her later on. She was trying to be supportive, perhaps she was only a product of the times?

Don't want to give away the surprise actor who become the children's mentor, but he made me air punch in the middle of the theatre (sigh yeah I still do that :P) and I was even more engrossed in the tale.

It's funny, my mom called a few days earlier saying she was going to watch it, and all she could talk about was wardrobe wardrobe...huh? It's never been something I got into much but there was so much attention paid to how a future society would/could have the power to display/express itself, I found it very amusing and fascinating. Did you see those clown collars and crazy wigs? It actually made me think back years ago of a series of books called RiverWorld. Far far in the future where all of humanity has been resurrected along the shores of a river. There are no limits to what anyone can where, make up for anyone hair styles for anyone, everyhing is in, survival is everything.

I thought Hunger Games was a good movie, are there more coming out?: Looking forward to it!

:bounce:

gogo

Yes gogo three more movies are coming to complete the trilogy. There are some minor differences with the book but overall they really complement each other.

• 10 months later...

The next one to come out is Catching fire, and the Third one is Mockinjay. loved all 3 books and the movie... the actors are all great in the different costumes and roles.

Delta!

• Like! 1